yassmine2878

Moroccan Health Question

57 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
I didn't learn until my MIL was in the U.S. that they leave food out overnight too. (I guess it was due to my being kicked out of the kitchen in Morocco!) Every time I saw it happen here, I was suddenly not hungry, or had an intense pregnancy craving for something else! :P Oh, and I am left wondering about maybe my GI problems in Morocco stemming from this issue.

Oh and my husband has the green goop stuff too. His has a picture of a ginger root on it!

i bet your gi problems definitely came from that. did you also always drink bottled water? i decided to drink tap water once and had problems in the toilet after that. :whistle:

that green goop also tastes unbelievably disgusting. he gagged everytime he took a spoonful. :unsure: claims it helped his pain though!

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have often cooked with my MIL while visiting and one thing that I did notice is that she would use the same knife that she cut up meat to cut veggies with too. I'm pretty fanatical about rinsing cutting boards and knifes and stuff after using them to cut meat. I have always heard that alot of bacteria can be spread that way.

And naturally if one person in the house gets a cold...most everyone else seems to get it. I've always told my husband that it's not because of the cold but because they are all eating off of the same plate, using the same cloth napkin to wipe their hands with and so on.

But, as many of us know, it's a waste of time to go against their superstitions. They are in deep!

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

I have often cooked with my MIL while visiting and one thing that I did notice is that she would use the same knife that she cut up meat to cut veggies with too. I'm pretty fanatical about rinsing cutting boards and knifes and stuff after using them to cut meat. I have always heard that alot of bacteria can be spread that way.

And naturally if one person in the house gets a cold...most everyone else seems to get it. I've always told my husband that it's not because of the cold but because they are all eating off of the same plate, using the same cloth napkin to wipe their hands with and so on.

But, as many of us know, it's a waste of time to go against their superstitions. They are in deep!

I have seen that too. The chicken/meat is cut up on the same board as everything else. I can't do that.

And, here, the kids sneeze into their hands or sneeze all over the computer or the remote control. Then, everybody else touches it. This is how the germs start their body-rocking!!!! :yes:

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

One other funny thing I have heard....peeing after you have sex will kill the sperm.... :wacko:

So that's how I got pregnant. I always wondered. ;)

I didn't learn until my MIL was in the U.S. that they leave food out overnight too. (I guess it was due to my being kicked out of the kitchen in Morocco!) Every time I saw it happen here, I was suddenly not hungry, or had an intense pregnancy craving for something else! :P Oh, and I am left wondering about maybe my GI problems in Morocco stemming from this issue.

Oh and my husband has the green goop stuff too. His has a picture of a ginger root on it!

i bet your gi problems definitely came from that. did you also always drink bottled water? i decided to drink tap water once and had problems in the toilet after that. :whistle:

Amen to that. The one time I had tap water was the last morning I left Morocco. I must have violated every can between there and Spain on my way home. Never again, man. Sidi all the way.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Esalaam Gabi. I have heard this all over the Maghreb, but not in the ME. There are actually some Hadiths regarding the Pr. Mohammed (saw) watering room temp water, gulping it 3x...so my thinking is that is where Maghrebin people get this notion. I know for myself, drinking too cold or too hot does bother my teeth and stomach... But my husband nor any of his family do drink cold drinks. Even ice cream they will only eat on very very hot days, but stir it up until it becomes little warmer. This also goes for yoghurts, puddings, milk, cheese, juices...anything you have to frigerate. They will most likely not frigerate it or if they must, take it out 5m before consuming, or add little warm milk or water if possible. That is also why you will NEVER see any Maghrebin person drink cold milk. It is just not done (they say boiling it kills microbes, which it really does plus the whole Prophet(saw) and stomach thing.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

And for those interested: Anas ibn Malik was the one who transmitted the many traditions of eating/drinking that the prophet. And considering most Maghrebin people are of the Maliki school of thought, it would make sense that they would follow them.

Examples would be:The Pr. Mohammed (saw) used to drink with three pauses and, at each pause, remove his mouth from the container.

The prophet disapproved eating food while it is too hot. He never used to blow on his food or drink, or breathe into a container. He also forbade eating lying down. Took a walk after eating a meal or did the salaat prayer (saying it is beneficial, specially for the digestive process) Also said that the hands should be washed after as well as before eating. ... One whose stomache is over-stuffed with food cannot think clearly or wisely. The less a man eats, the less he drinks; and the less he drinks, the less he sleeps; and the less he sleeps, the better he will be in old age. The body of a man over-filled food will be badly nourished, his-self will be in a bad state, and his heart will grow hard. Therefore, one should avoid too much food as it poisons the heart and slows down the limbs of the body in fulfilling one’s responsibilities toward God. One should also avoid drinking very cold water, for it is harmful to the respiratory system, specially after a hot meal, or after sweet food, or after a hot bath.

The prophet said: Digest your food with the Name of God and with doing a prayer. And do no go to sleep immediately after eating as this will make you constipated.

So anyway, reading up on many of the Maliki traditions, one can understand many of our MENA traditions that may seem weird to us.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

that green goop also tastes unbelievably disgusting. he gagged everytime he took a spoonful. :unsure: claims it helped his pain though!

You actually had the guts to try it? I'm proud of you! :P

timeline doesn't matter.

My In laws are huge on flip flops...I use to get screamed at for walking around barefoot in jordan, i got sooo use to it, i cant walk around anywhere without them now...

Dogs, well i know how must muslims feel about dogs, especially ones from back home, but i think its just fear of the unknown cause as soon as my MIL came to visit, she warmed up to our bichon puppy, and slept with him everynight....I have pictures too!!

As for the leaving food out all night. it use to drive me nuts, but a girl has to ear...NO WONDER i was near death in jordan with abdomen and stomach pain...the doctors didnt even know what to do so they shot Morphine in my ####### and called it a day! after 8 months on prilosec, im feeling much bettter...lol...

the only thing ive noticed their real bent on is saying Mashallah after a compliment, or Alhumdullah after praise....also, my husband has made sure i never use someones name as an example to something, he says it will bring the person bad luck

Filed DCF in Jordan from 7-05 to 3-06, Approved for I-R1.

Immigration Free until 2008.

Two Hearts, Two Different Places, Sharing One Dream

We were strangers~ Starting out on a journey~Never dreaming What we'd have to go through ~Now here we are ~ And I'm suddenly standing ~ At the beginning with you ~ No one told me I was going to find you ~ Unexpected ~ What you did to my heart ~ When I lost hope You were there to remind me ~ This is the start ~ Life is a road And I want to keep going ~ Love is a river I wanna keep flowing ~ Life is a road Now and forever ~ Wonderful journey ~ I'll be there When the world stops turning~ I'll be there When the storm is through ~ In the end I wanna be standing At the beginning with you~

.png

I haven't experienced this with my husband, but I know many Japanese believe the same thing: drinking too much ice coffee or cold drink on a hot day is not healthy for your body.

WBhW.jpgbunbuntdg20060306_-8_Amira%20is.png

REMOVING CONDITIONS

6/30/07 - Mailed I-751 via Priority Mail with Delivery notification

7/02/07 - Delivered to USCIS in Laguna Niguel,CA

7/07/07 - CSC returns I-751 packet because we used an older I-751 version. Mailed I-751 with latest(02/07) version via Priority Mail with delivery notification

7/09/07 - Deliverd to USCIS

7/10/07 - NOA date

7/12/07 - USCIS cashes check

7/21/07 - NOA received(GC extended for one year)

7/24/07 - Biometrics notice received

8/10/07 - Biometrics appointment in W. LA

8/28/07 - Card production ordered

8/29/07 - Approval notice received online

8/30/07 - Approval notice recieved in mail

9/04/07 - 10 yr GC received in mail

And for those interested: Anas ibn Malik was the one who transmitted the many traditions of eating/drinking that the prophet. And considering most Maghrebin people are of the Maliki school of thought, it would make sense that they would follow them.

Examples would be:The Pr. Mohammed (saw) used to drink with three pauses and, at each pause, remove his mouth from the container.

The prophet disapproved eating food while it is too hot. He never used to blow on his food or drink, or breathe into a container. He also forbade eating lying down. Took a walk after eating a meal or did the salaat prayer (saying it is beneficial, specially for the digestive process) Also said that the hands should be washed after as well as before eating. ... One whose stomache is over-stuffed with food cannot think clearly or wisely. The less a man eats, the less he drinks; and the less he drinks, the less he sleeps; and the less he sleeps, the better he will be in old age. The body of a man over-filled food will be badly nourished, his-self will be in a bad state, and his heart will grow hard. Therefore, one should avoid too much food as it poisons the heart and slows down the limbs of the body in fulfilling one’s responsibilities toward God. One should also avoid drinking very cold water, for it is harmful to the respiratory system, specially after a hot meal, or after sweet food, or after a hot bath.

The prophet said: Digest your food with the Name of God and with doing a prayer. And do no go to sleep immediately after eating as this will make you constipated.

So anyway, reading up on many of the Maliki traditions, one can understand many of our MENA traditions that may seem weird to us.

TYVM Henia! I appreciate the background on this. Now I understand where Ahmed's coming from. :thumbs:

And thanks to everyone else for making me feel better, cuz Im not the only one! LOLOL.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I know my husband used to look at me like I was completely retarded when

he saw me put 4 or more icecubes in my cup.

Now it's like a competition....we actually got more ice trays because we both love drinks in the

summertime filled with ice.

But since the preggers hit me, he insists I lay off the ice, but its a million degrees outside....so I lay low

when I am around him *chuckle*

1/10/05 Filed I-129f

1/12/05 NOA1

2/9/05 NOA2

2/25/05 Case forwarded to Casablanca

(Marrakech postal issues)

5/2/05 Fiance picks up Packet 3/4

5/6/05 Medical

5/23/05 Interview (recieved 221g)

5/31/05 VISA IN HAND! ALHAMDULLILAH!!

Truly I am blessed

7/6/05 Rachid arrives in USA (POE Philly) with my family

7/8/05 Rachid arrives to Atlanta (home to me)

7/8/05 Wedding!!! (ceremonial)

7/22/05 Recieve SSN Card

9/26/05 Married

12/31/05 AOS/EAD/AP sent off

1/4/06 Package arrives at Chicago Lockbox

1/18/06 Checks cashed all NOA's recvd :)

3/31/06 Recv'd AOS appointment letter for May 23rd

MAY 23RD AOS APPROVED (now waiting for prints to clear)

6/7/06 RECEIVED WELCOME LETTER :)

6/14/06 GREENCARD HATH ARRIVED!!! :))))

05/31/08 Filed Removal of Conditions

06/22/08 Biometrics done

APRROVVED JUNE 1ST 2009

Greencard Recieved 6/7/09 :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.