Hardship waiver

J1 Hardship Waiver 2021-2022 Timeline

1,968 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, blooper1899 said:

Forever! They sent for SV on Jan 26, got the SV back on February 1, and sent the recommendation only yesterday, so they waited 1.5 months before they sent recommendation. I don't know why they do what they do. 

I've waited at DOS since June 22, 2022

I am currently waiting on the final recommendation. Also Fulbright and the DOS received my sponsor views back on March 10. Thank you for sharing your timeline!

Filed: Other Country: Angola
Timeline
2 hours ago, Wyboxcx said:

Unfortunately cases with government funding are still pending from May 2023…

There are two still pending from 2022 and mine from January 2023, I am before you alas…I am surprised after they received your sv they are still reviewing it…  there is another person from July 2022 they requested their views in Jan of this year and they are still waiting… they have cleared couple last week from 2022 like June and July, but some are left apparently… not sure why sponsor views back are taking forever!!! 

38 minutes ago, Sabina Bart said:

There are two still pending from 2022 and mine from January 2023, I am before you alas…I am surprised after they received your sv they are still reviewing it…  there is another person from July 2022 they requested their views in Jan of this year and they are still waiting… they have cleared couple last week from 2022 like June and July, but some are left apparently… not sure why sponsor views back are taking forever!!! 

It’s honestly ridiculous. This process has traumatized me. I just want a decision. Any decision at this point!!

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Wyboxcx said:

It’s honestly ridiculous. This process has traumatized me. I just want a decision. Any decision at this point!!

I am sorry I feel you, try to distract yourself, I am sure it will come soon. I also noticed their web site doesn’t really update it right away; like if there is an update, it will only be noticeable tomorrow morning kinda of strange system, I guess government that’s why. I am sure person who got the response from 2022 probably aged from this process… crazy! Also crazy how they moved to fall 2023 like what the heck.

7 hours ago, Wyboxcx said:

I feel the same. I just want my answer, even if it's negative. So tired of waiting. They sent a request for my sponsor views on Feb 02 (case at DOS since early May 2023) and since then waiting is worse because I expect the answer any day now, but it never comes.

Edited by corgidance
spelling

1 minute ago, corgidance said:

I feel the same. I just want my answer, even if it's negative. So tired of waiting. They sent a request for my sponsor views on Feb 02 (case at DOS since early May 2023) and since then waiting is worse because I expect the answer any day now, but it never comes.

I feel you 100 %. I wonder if they gather a number of cases with government funding and deliberate over them during the same meeting, or if each case is decided separately. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Wyboxcx said:

I feel you 100 %. I wonder if they gather a number of cases with government funding and deliberate over them during the same meeting, or if each case is decided separately. 

Probably the same meeting, so far yours and one other person on 21 of March sponsor views received, person from July 2022 imagine that… so now two of you. I noticed they adjudicate 2-3 cases at the same day… which also makes sense not to lose time… 

Timeline
1 hour ago, corgidance said:

So no sponsor views received yet correct? Well according to this forum and my little research they are still working on sponsor views received from Jan 2023- requested time. I think we just need to have some patience, distract yourself, for me this month has gone by so fast maybe because I am extremely busy…

6 hours ago, Sabina Bart said:

So no sponsor views received yet correct? Well according to this forum and my little research they are still working on sponsor views received from Jan 2023- requested time. I think we just need to have some patience, distract yourself, for me this month has gone by so fast maybe because I am extremely busy…

That's right, no sponsor views yet for me. It was easier to wait before the sponsor views were requested. Now I know it's almost over (hopefully), I get impatient. Definitely need to distract myself and not check the website so damn often.

I've been waiting since October 6, 2022. My case has had no activity since it was registered in the system. I'm sick and tired of this whole hardship and don't want to waste any more money on the mondamus case. While an O-1 visa allows me to stay and work in the US nearly indefinitely, the lack of progress on the waiver is very draining. But still, I can only imagine how stressful it might be for those who wait for the waiver on J-1. I would say that the exceptional hardships waiver is unfair and unconstitutional, giving people a perceived route to solve their J-1 2YHR requirement. Still, in reality, 12 months of USCIS and then 24 months of DOS those times nearly impossible for most people. You need to file exceptional hardships during the first year of your J-1 in order to fit into the time frame required. I honestly even stop checking the status and trying to be comfortable that I need to live with my O-1 situation for the foreseeable future. The government should either abolish the hardships category altogether or make it the same as other categories ~6 months from application to decision.

11 minutes ago, lennikov said:

I've been waiting since October 6, 2022. My case has had no activity since it was registered in the system. I'm sick and tired of this whole hardship and don't want to waste any more money on the mondamus case. While an O-1 visa allows me to stay and work in the US nearly indefinitely, the lack of progress on the waiver is very draining. But still, I can only imagine how stressful it might be for those who wait for the waiver on J-1. I would say that the exceptional hardships waiver is unfair and unconstitutional, giving people a perceived route to solve their J-1 2YHR requirement. Still, in reality, 12 months of USCIS and then 24 months of DOS those times nearly impossible for most people. You need to file exceptional hardships during the first year of your J-1 in order to fit into the time frame required. I honestly even stop checking the status and trying to be comfortable that I need to live with my O-1 situation for the foreseeable future. The government should either abolish the hardships category altogether or make it the same as other categories ~6 months from application to decision.

I understand the pain, but immigration is not a right, it's a privilege. At least waivers are offered. In many other jurisdictions people are asked to leave the country. UK for example doesn't even allow getting marrying in the UK on visitor visa or other visas other than special Marriage Visa.

Timeline
4 hours ago, lennikov said:

Did they not request even sponsor views? Whoa! Or you don't have gov support? 

4 hours ago, OldUser said:

I understand the pain, but immigration is not a right, it's a privilege. At least waivers are offered. In many other jurisdictions people are asked to leave the country. UK for example doesn't even allow getting marrying in the UK on visitor visa or other visas other than special Marriage Visa.

Interesting I didn't know about other countries, interesting about UK, never been there so I don't really know what's going on.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.