Hardship waiver

J1 Hardship Waiver 2021-2022 Timeline

1,957 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Angola
Timeline
1 hour ago, BadAss007 said:

I'm so happy for you, thank God. I saw this online and it seems that they've entered cases that were submitted in December 2023, it was adjusted at dos level only in 4months wow!

Screenshot_20240418-233230.png

Damn they are fast indeed! I am still waiting they received my docs in January 2023 🙈 I know some folks from 2022 are still waiting too, so I hope they take care of those people how insane it is to wait for them even longer than for 2023. I have been waiting now for like 15 months now :) lol

On 4/18/2024 at 3:24 PM, lennikov said:

And so my watch has ended. It was a pleasure to be a part of this community, and a lot of words of encouragement to me and others on this forum kept me sane over this long period of uncertainty. My case involved 2 J-1 visas that I took in 2014-2015 and second in 2017-2022. It took 560 days, from October 6, 2022, to April 17th, 2024, with ten months extra when the case was at USCIS, so overall, it took me about 28 months from the initial documents being submitted to receiving a Favorable Recommendation. I was able to obtain an O-1 visa and, this way, stay in the US; if I did not have O-1 support, there would only be 5 months left for me to complete the 2YHR if I returned to my home country upon expiration of my J-1 in October 2022. 

I used to live with this endlessly pending case, and now I don't know exactly how I feel about it. I suppose it is good that it is over, but honestly, I feel empty. Actually, what happens next? Will the case be returned to USCIS, and will they issue a waiver? Then, with a waiver attached, I can file for an adjustment of status. How long does it usually take? I would appreciate those who already received an FR to share their experience after FR and its timeline. 

image.thumb.png.6a5450ea2db3810480ff27b31f4a8891.png

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention this is immediate family based adjustment of status, so based on how you are adjusting status, this timeline may be of little to no value to you.

Here is our timeline:

10-24-23 - DOS Favorable Recommendation

11-21-23 - USCIS Approval Notice

12-9-23 - Filed for AOS.  E-filed Form I-130

12-9-23 - Notice of receipt of Form I-130

12-20-23 - Concurrently filed (hard copy, only way) forms I-485, I-131, I-765 and also attached forms I-864W and I-693

12-27-23 - Notice of receipt of forms I-485, I-131, I-765.   Added cases to electronic USCIS account.

12-28-23 - Notice of Approval of I-130.

12-30-23 - Notice that Biometric Appointment Scheduled

1-17-24 - Biometrics Appointment Attended

1-17-24 - Case status changed to Under Review For I-131, I-765, and I-485.

1-18-24 - Notice of Approval of I-765

4-20-24 - Notice of Approval of I-485 (No interview, no advanced parole ever issued)

FYI: I'm an attorney so did this all myself.  I would recommend hiring an attorney if you can, there are definitely things that can trip people up.  But I know money is always an issue. 

Good luck everyone. 

Edited by PJAW

So, I finally received the waiver document from USCIS. The timeline so far looks like this 

Filed documents to USCIS Feb 2022. 

USCIS made finding of hardships in September 2022

Filed documents to DOS in October 2022. 

Favorable recommendation from DOS April 2024 

Waver document send by USCIS May 2024

I retained an Ellis Porter immigration attorney to file for my adjustment of status. 

Filed: Other Country: Angola
Timeline
2 hours ago, lennikov said:

So, I finally received the waiver document from USCIS. The timeline so far looks like this 

Filed documents to USCIS Feb 2022. 

USCIS made finding of hardships in September 2022

Filed documents to DOS in October 2022. 

Favorable recommendation from DOS April 2024 

Waver document send by USCIS May 2024

I retained an Ellis Porter immigration attorney to file for my adjustment of status. 

Congratulations I am very happy for ya! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.