Hebz

J1 visa waiver NOS 2021 Timeline

137 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Hebz said:

Thanks a lot for sharing your timeline!

Where was your case processed? Mine has been in Vermont since Feb 2nd and still no updates from USCIS

The receipt number started with EAC. Might be the below:

Vermont Service Center (formerly known as Eastern Adjudication Center)

On 2/8/2022 at 3:36 PM, Hebz said:

Update: I just received the Notice of Action from USCIS by mail today (Feb 8th). I checked the case status online and it says that they received the recommendation from DOS on Feb 2nd, so it took almost two weeks for recommendation to reach them from DOS

Final update:

My I-612 just got approved by the USCIS. The case was received in Feb 2nd and approved in March 9th which makes a total of ~7 months since I first sent my papers to DOS.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi All, 

Update on my application: I got favorable recommendation on April 8, 2022. Now waiting for USCIS response. 

Here is my timeline: 

September 23, 2022: Application received by DoS

January 18, 2022: Status updated on the website as Pending

April 8, 2022: Favourable Recommendation

I did requested Congressperson to help in March. I believe that helped.

Thank you all for sharing your updates and experiences. It really helped me in this process. All the best!!

1 hour ago, palvi07 said:

Hi All, 

Update on my application: I got favorable recommendation on April 8, 2022. Now waiting for USCIS response. 

Here is my timeline: 

September 23, 2022: Application received by DoS

January 18, 2022: Status updated on the website as Pending

April 8, 2022: Favourable Recommendation

I did requested Congressperson to help in March. I believe that helped.

Thank you all for sharing your updates and experiences. It really helped me in this process. All the best!!

Congratulations!

1 minute ago, madovi said:

I sent all my documents on November 13th. My embassy sent the NOS on Nov 15th. They marked as received all documents on March 21.... 

Several/ all applicants whose docs were marked as "received" in Jan 2022 received decision in March/ early April. I hope now it's time for Feb 2022 applicants. Hopin to get decision by early May. Fingers crossed! 

Hello everyone,

I have sent all my documentation back in Nov 11 2021 and the system shows "received" as of March 9, 2022 (when last document was received). My STEM OPT ends right about the 16th week mark and I am worried I will have to stop/pause my work until I get the waiver recommendation. 

I have heard some people suggest emailing the embassy in my home country, congress member, etc. to make the process a little faster and try to get an answer sooner. Does anybody have any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks everyone, this is my first post here. 

15 hours ago, J1_Cordo said:

Hello everyone,

I have sent all my documentation back in Nov 11 2021 and the system shows "received" as of March 9, 2022 (when last document was received). My STEM OPT ends right about the 16th week mark and I am worried I will have to stop/pause my work until I get the waiver recommendation. 

I have heard some people suggest emailing the embassy in my home country, congress member, etc. to make the process a little faster and try to get an answer sooner. Does anybody have any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks everyone, this is my first post here. 

There is no way to speed it up, unfortunately - emailing the embassy is not going to help because they are not involved in the process... your best bet is waiting. make sure you're closely tracking your status, because the waiver in on itself does not grant any immigration status, and you might run the risk of causing yourself more headaches for the future. are you planning to move to a different status?

Thanks @S9471

Indeed it seems that there is no way to speed it up.

When one gets the waiver, does the J-1 Waiver department need to get notified about further change of status? My employer and I have already arranged all the process for the H1B to the point that it has been approved under "Consular Processing". Once I get a waiver, can I just "walk" into my home embassy and change my status?

2 hours ago, J1_Cordo said:

Thanks @S9471

Indeed it seems that there is no way to speed it up.

When one gets the waiver, does the J-1 Waiver department need to get notified about further change of status? My employer and I have already arranged all the process for the H1B to the point that it has been approved under "Consular Processing". Once I get a waiver, can I just "walk" into my home embassy and change my status?

Once you get the waiver, you don't need to notify anyone... just go for the interview for the new visa

13 hours ago, S9471 said:

Once you get the waiver, you don't need to notify anyone... just go for the interview for the new visa

Thank you @S9471

Do you know the process after the recommendation is done? It is my understanding that USDOS sends the recommendation to USCIS and then they gran/reject the waiver. If granted, they will send it to the address I put in my file docket. Do I need to fill out/apply for any other process after that if I want to change the status? 

1 hour ago, J1_Cordo said:

Thank you @S9471

Do you know the process after the recommendation is done? It is my understanding that USDOS sends the recommendation to USCIS and then they gran/reject the waiver. If granted, they will send it to the address I put in my file docket. Do I need to fill out/apply for any other process after that if I want to change the status? 

No. Once you have the physical approval letter from USCIS (not dos - you need the formal and final approval), you should be able to apply for your COS process...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.