Hebz

J1 visa waiver NOS 2021 Timeline

137 posts in this topic

On 1/3/2022 at 11:56 PM, palvi07 said:

I applied for J1 waiver to DoS in September 2021. The mail tracking shows that the documents were received on September 24, 2021 and the Indian embassy sent the NOC on Oct 4, 2021. J1 waiver tracking portal shows nothing till today. I am really stressed about it. Is it normal?

I also applied for a J-1 NOS waiver. Package delivered around 10/15,  the embassy a couple of days thereafter, so roughly 3 weeks behind your schedule. The J-1 waiver status portal does not show any documents as received as of today (1/10/22).

Edited by SomeoneNamedIan

On 1/4/2022 at 2:46 PM, mitron said:

If anyone gets the I-612 receipt from USCIS, please let us know the timeline of when you receive it compared to the time since the DOS recommendation was sent.

I received FR from DOS on 12/27/2021, my timeline with USCIS is in the attached picture. I haven’t received anything in the mail yet. Got my receipt number via Emma chat 

7E2942CA-94C4-4063-87CF-CCBE94883A4A.jpeg

On 1/13/2022 at 11:29 AM, mitron said:

Thanks, I just did and apparently they have no records of my Fav. Reco. being sent from the DOS!! What a bunch of morons running this whole thing. 30 days since its sent "electronically" and no records!

So finally, DOS sent me the Receipt number. Still so weird that even with my full name, email ID< address, date of birth etc., USCIS couldn't locate the Receipt number in their system (via Emma chat or on the phone with a live agents), and yet they had indeed mailed out the I-797C Notice of Action.... I finally received it on Day 31 lol.

Anyway, it says that they Received and sent out the Notice on 6 Jan (my Fav Reco from DOS was Dec 16). So there's considerable variation on the timelines between people it seems.

On 1/3/2022 at 3:56 PM, palvi07 said:

Hi Everyone, 

I applied for J1 waiver to DoS in September 2021. The mail tracking shows that the documents were received on September 24, 2021 and the Indian embassy sent the NOC on Oct 4, 2021. J1 waiver tracking portal shows nothing till today. I am really stressed about it. Is it normal?

Looking forward to any suggestions. Thank you!

Hi Everyone, just an update on my application:

DoS updated the portal saying that they received my documents on January 18, 2022 (which they actually received in September 2021). The portal doesn't show the receipt of the No Objection letter yet. Hopefully, they will update it soon.

6 hours ago, palvi07 said:

Hi Everyone, just an update on my application:

DoS updated the portal saying that they received my documents on January 18, 2022 (which they actually received in September 2021). The portal doesn't show the receipt of the No Objection letter yet. Hopefully, they will update it soon.

Thanks for posting your update, @palvi07. It is such a relief to see that things are moving. Based on your timeline, it looks like that DoS would take at least 17-18 weeks for the first record/update to show up on their portal. 

@etcoflife @WGLKID @español1974  @Fictions @erdpin.. hold tight, we would be there soon.

PS: as said earlier, the update was on Tuesday. So most likely DoS is updating their portal once a week, most likely no later than Tuesday of a week.

Edited by Amoyar_Dever

On 1/18/2022 at 11:53 AM, mitron said:

So finally, DOS sent me the Receipt number. Still so weird that even with my full name, email ID< address, date of birth etc., USCIS couldn't locate the Receipt number in their system (via Emma chat or on the phone with a live agents), and yet they had indeed mailed out the I-797C Notice of Action.... I finally received it on Day 31 lol.

Anyway, it says that they Received and sent out the Notice on 6 Jan (my Fav Reco from DOS was Dec 16). So there's considerable variation on the timelines between people it seems.

OK so I *finally* got the final approval notice in the mail from USCIS today. Total timeline - all docs incl. NOS received on 27 Aug 21 (portal showed them rcvd on 8 Nov)  and got final Waiver Approval on 21 Jan 22. So a total of 21 Weeks (not incl. time to get the NOS of course)!

Edited by mitron

On 12/15/2021 at 12:21 PM, Hebz said:

Hey everyone, just a quick update. I contacted the embassy to send another letter, and make sure that they send it with the barcode page to the DOS. They sent it on Monday and it appeared on the DOS website the next day (Dec 14). Not sure if it's the first letter that appeared or they were that quick to receive the second letter.

Next step is the recommendation from DOS, it says on their website that it takes 12 to 16 weeks after receiving all required documents. I hope it doesn't take longer than that!

Hello everyone,

A quick update on my case, I got a favorable recommendation from DOS on January 19th. Here's my timeline so far:

1- Case file sent end of August

2- NOS letter sent from embassy first week of September

3- Case received October 21st

4- NOS letter resent from embassy on December 13th

5- NOS letter received December 14th

6- Favorable recommendation January 19th

Should I contact USCIS now or just wait for them? Thanks!

17 hours ago, Hebz said:

Hello everyone,

A quick update on my case, I got a favorable recommendation from DOS on January 19th. Here's my timeline so far:

1- Case file sent end of August

2- NOS letter sent from embassy first week of September

3- Case received October 21st

4- NOS letter resent from embassy on December 13th

5- NOS letter received December 14th

6- Favorable recommendation January 19th

Should I contact USCIS now or just wait for them? Thanks!

Typically even if you contact USCIS within 30 days they just say to wait till 30 days from when the case was forwarded (my Notice of Action arrived literally on day 31 and Notice of Approval 1 week after that). Contact DOS and ask for the Receipt number, that way you can track it yourself on the USCIS site. USCIS chat or call against couldn't find my file using my name etc.

On 1/20/2022 at 4:44 AM, Amoyar_Dever said:

Thanks for posting your update, @palvi07. It is such a relief to see that things are moving. Based on your timeline, it looks like that DoS would take at least 17-18 weeks for the first record/update to show up on their portal. 

@etcoflife @WGLKID @español1974  @Fictions @erdpin.. hold tight, we would be there soon.

PS: as said earlier, the update was on Tuesday. So most likely DoS is updating their portal once a week, most likely no later than Tuesday of a week.

Can see the case online now, updated last week

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.