@bicksley

Refused Visa - Processing Times

70 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 1/21/2022 at 8:03 PM, CAN_PA said:

Hi there! I did receive my visa. My medical was delayed but was received by the consulate a few days after my interview. It took them over 7 weeks to finally issue my visa (even though there had been "case updates" on one or two occasions) and that was only because I had contacted our State representative. I think if you're waiting over 4-6 weeks it wouldn't hurt to contact your State Rep/Senator etc. to inquire on your behalf. I waited quite a while before contacting State Reps to ensure I had a good argument, but some people have had successful results contacting them after 4 weeks.

Three days after contacting my State Rep, I was issued my Visa. She even called a few days later asking whether we made it through alright (across the border). She was spectacular! I would advise writing a formal letter. I know it's tough times as we're all coming from an exhausted and frustrated place waiting around to be with loved ones/or begin new lives but I would be cautious NOT to sound like a whino (haha). I had to edit/re-edit my letter several times before I was ready to submit my inquiry so as to compel them to help. Reading from other posts made me believe we only had one shot, otherwise you get shut down with generic responses and then stuck in the back of the line waiting for who knows how long. It truly sucks.

As for medical results, you can contact the medical office and ask how long it'll be when they send it over. They'll likely send an email of the Medical report to you at the same time as when they send it to the Consulate. Best of luck!

wow thanks! and congrats on finally receiving it!  I don't think we have a State representative. I should be getting the email on Monday. 7 weeks... I am dying to sign a lease and this is driving me crazy

Timeline
On 1/21/2022 at 8:03 PM, CAN_PA said:

Hi there! I did receive my visa. My medical was delayed but was received by the consulate a few days after my interview. It took them over 7 weeks to finally issue my visa (even though there had been "case updates" on one or two occasions) and that was only because I had contacted our State representative. I think if you're waiting over 4-6 weeks it wouldn't hurt to contact your State Rep/Senator etc. to inquire on your behalf. I waited quite a while before contacting State Reps to ensure I had a good argument, but some people have had successful results contacting them after 4 weeks.

Three days after contacting my State Rep, I was issued my Visa. She even called a few days later asking whether we made it through alright (across the border). She was spectacular! I would advise writing a formal letter. I know it's tough times as we're all coming from an exhausted and frustrated place waiting around to be with loved ones/or begin new lives but I would be cautious NOT to sound like a whino (haha). I had to edit/re-edit my letter several times before I was ready to submit my inquiry so as to compel them to help. Reading from other posts made me believe we only had one shot, otherwise you get shut down with generic responses and then stuck in the back of the line waiting for who knows how long. It truly sucks.

As for medical results, you can contact the medical office and ask how long it'll be when they send it over. They'll likely send an email of the Medical report to you at the same time as when they send it to the Consulate. Best of luck!

Hey, State Rep, for your intended area? Did you contact them or did your husband? I tried a congressman but that didn't get me anywhere, if I don't hear by end of week I'll attempt the state rep for my intended address.. Any tips other than avoid being whiney?

Thanks!

Timeline
1 hour ago, NykahDeah said:

Hey, State Rep, for your intended area? Did you contact them or did your husband? I tried a congressman but that didn't get me anywhere, if I don't hear by end of week I'll attempt the state rep for my intended address.. Any tips other than avoid being whiney?

Thanks!

Yes for my intended area. We tried our congressman too, but I think it went straight to a generic email and our messages weren't getting through because it had to be written in particular text format due to security reasons. Also it helps if you've already established a domicile in the US (ie. if you already have family/spouse there with an address/zip code), some state Reps will only assist those who are already established in that State.

They'll verify your zip code. My husband contacted them by phone; you'll still need to fill out a Privacy Release form but at least you'll get a more direct email to someone that can help with your case. I would write a formal letter as if you're writing for good grades. HA (seriously)!! It may help, it may not, but in the end no one wants to read hundreds of emails a day of people complaining about their situation; they already know it's a long tedious process for everyone and their hands are probably tied for one reason or another. Best of luck.

Edited by CAN_PA

Timeline
On 12/7/2021 at 4:24 PM, Redie said:

No, mine still shows refused. You are right, unfortunately  it’s a waiting game now. I am hitting the 5 week mark so I am getting a little restless. 

Where did you do your medical? 

Timeline

Im really confused now! Someone just posted in the Canadian Facebook “group” (if you can call it that… more like a dictatorship…) that their medical was late as well, but the officer APPROVED the visa? 😂 I mean good for them, but what the actual fruck? What if that person doesn’t pass the medical ? And their visa shows approved😂  Nothing makes sense anymore

Edited by Ilovecancun29

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Sarpor4 said:

I did mine at Medysis in Montreal. They were able to send my results within 2 days to the Consulate once it was completed.

Timeline
31 minutes ago, Sarpor4 said:

I had it done at Dr. Lyndon Mascarenhas in Toronto. Consulate received my medical 2 days after my interview. Almost 90 days post interview and no visa!!! This really sucks!  

Timeline
11 minutes ago, Ilovecancun29 said:

Im really confused now! Someone just posted in the Canadian Facebook “group” (if you can call it that… more like a dictatorship…) that their medical was late as well, but the officer APPROVED the visa? 😂 I mean good for them, but what the actual fruck? What if that person doesn’t pass the medical ? And their visa shows approved😂  Nothing makes sense anymore

Don't worry, I wouldn't hold my breath on what they say or what the case update shows anymore. Some have been approved at their interviews and had to wait weeks before anything was officially issued, others never received tracking until it suddenly was ready for pick up, the list goes on. I'm really saddened there's no real sense of order on how to look at this entire process.

I'm now settled in to our new place however now I am waiting for my SSN card/Green card. On their website it mentioned that I should be able to do my driver's permit test/open bank account with my LPR Visa documents, unfortunately that is not the case. As thrilled as I am to finally be here; I am still waiting yet again for more documentation to arrive. The border officer mentioned they were backlogged with the issuance of greencards, but at least I'll get it within a year since that's when my US Visa expires! YAY?!?

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Ilovecancun29 said:

How is that possible? So unfair!

Timeline
10 minutes ago, CAN_PA said:

Don't worry, I wouldn't hold my breath on what they say or what the case update shows anymore. Some have been approved at their interviews and had to wait weeks before anything was officially issued, others never received tracking until it suddenly was ready for pick up, the list goes on. I'm really saddened there's no real sense of order on how to look at this entire process.

I'm now settled in to our new place however now I am waiting for my SSN card/Green card. On their website it mentioned that I should be able to do my driver's permit test/open bank account with my LPR Visa documents, unfortunately that is not the case. As thrilled as I am to finally be here; I am still waiting yet again for more documentation to arrive. The border officer mentioned they were backlogged with the issuance of greencards, but at least I'll get it within a year since that's when my US Visa expires! YAY?!?

So exciting for you!!!! 🌸  Im not sure because each State its different but you should be able to get a Driver’s license, sometimes it helps to try again another time, I would even try a different DMV, like the one in the middle of the city center rather than a small town. I wasn’t able to open a bank account in Phoenix,AZ.  Although I did opened one in Pittsburgh and North Carolina. It was a joint bank account, and I brought my marriage certificate with me,  my  passport and visa to show that I was legally there (tourist). For Driver’s license I was able to open one in Maryland and New York and I believe D.C was one of my options at the time.

Lastly, It wouldn’t hurt to consider starting your citizenship paperwork as soon as you get your green card, by the time they look at the application you might be eligible. 

I believe its after 3 years of marriage or maybe its residency?…not sure but just a thought.

Timeline
28 minutes ago, Ilovecancun29 said:

So exciting for you!!!! 🌸  Im not sure because each State its different but you should be able to get a Driver’s license, sometimes it helps to try again another time, I would even try a different DMV, like the one in the middle of the city center rather than a small town. I wasn’t able to open a bank account in Phoenix,AZ.  Although I did opened one in Pittsburgh and North Carolina. It was a joint bank account, and I brought my marriage certificate with me,  my  passport and visa to show that I was legally there (tourist). For Driver’s license I was able to open one in Maryland and New York and I believe D.C was one of my options at the time.

Lastly, It wouldn’t hurt to consider starting your citizenship paperwork as soon as you get your green card, by the time they look at the application you might be eligible. 

I believe its after 3 years of marriage or maybe its residency?…not sure but just a thought.

Thank you very much for the info! I'll definitely look into it. Unfortunately big city centers are a bit farther from us. We're slightly closer to Pittsburgh although still a 1.5 hour drive away but we'll give it a shot! We also intend to have a joint account. I think you're right about citizenship, it's after 3 years of residency you can apply for Citizenship, or apply for 10 year PR after 2 years of marriage.

2 hours ago, Ilovecancun29 said:

their medical was late as well, but the officer APPROVED the visa?

Regardless of what the interviewing officer says at the interview, a visa is not actually approved until the case status on CEAC says "Issued".  And no, it is not possible for a visa to be approved until the consulate is sure that the applicant has cleared the medical exam, according to Department of State policy.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Regardless of what the interviewing officer says at the interview, a visa is not actually approved until the case status on CEAC says "Issued".  And no, it is not possible for a visa to be approved until the consulate is sure that the applicant has cleared the medical exam, according to Department of State policy.

I thought the same thing. I just don’t understand why she received an approval letter too

7467CAA2-EC69-4E8B-A0F4-7FAAE6554E2D.png

10 minutes ago, Ilovecancun29 said:

I just don’t understand why she received an approval letter too

Even the approval letter doesn't matter much.  There have been many reports here on VJ of visa applicants getting verbal approval and approval letters after their interview, yet were put on extended administrative processing.  The true indication of visa approval is "Issued" status on CEAC.

Btw, the FB post mentioned they were given 221g.  That means they are temporarily refused pending additional documentation (eg, the medical exam results).  A case can't be refused and approved at the same time.  So no, it's not true that their visa is already approved.  They are temporarily refused until their CEAC status turns "Issued".

Edited by Chancy
added note about FB post

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Even the approval letter doesn't matter much.  There have been many reports here on VJ of visa applicants getting verbal approval and approval letters after their interview, yet were put on extended administrative processing.  The true indication of visa approval is "Issued" status on CEAC.

You are right although getting the other one too definitely makes you feel better😂

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.