BananaShoes

Country of Eligibility for the DV Program

6 posts in this topic

Hey folks,

I have a question for people from West Bank who apply for the DV. If you check page 18 of the link below, it says that they are chargeable to Jordan.

https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/Diversity-Visa/DV-Instructions-Translations/DV-2023-Instructions-Translations/DV-2023-Instructions-English.pdf

The question now is, when you choose your country of birth as West bank, it automatically changes country of eligibility to Jordan, but does not check the "No" part of question. if someone had applied without checking "No", is their entry valid or not? (See Screenshot below)

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.a8dd43ecf4006b04524bc5b293d5b906.png

Edited by BananaShoes

Well you need to choose no in the entry yourself if that’s what you want. It always defaults to yes, because you need to actively justify a no answer. On what basis would you (personally) choose another country as country of eligibility rather than the one you were born in, seeing as you were born in an eligible country anyway?

Edited by SusieQQQ

5 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well you need to choose no in the entry yourself if that’s what you want. It always defaults to yes, because you need to actively justify a no answer. On what basis would you (personally) choose another country as country of eligibility rather than the one you were born in, seeing as you were born in an eligible country anyway?

Instructions linked above say "persons born in the West Bank are chargeable to Jordan". I guess my question is do I keep it as "Yes" and it automatically charges to Jordan, or do I need to check "No", and choose Jordan to actually be chargeable to it.

2 hours ago, BananaShoes said:

Instructions linked above say "persons born in the West Bank are chargeable to Jordan". I guess my question is do I keep it as "Yes" and it automatically charges to Jordan, or do I need to check "No", and choose Jordan to actually be chargeable to it.

You listed your country of birth, and you want to be chargeable to it. So leave it at yes and move on to the next question. 

1 hour ago, BananaShoes said:

Person is chargeable to a different country. Born in West bank, but chargeable to Jordan

Do what you feel is right then, if it does not seem as obvious to you what seems obvious to me (that is, that the West Bank is not a country and so that if it listed as an option in the drop down, the system will automatically assign it to the correct country).

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.