lc562

Will an overstay affect my chances of getting a K-1 Visa?

2 posts in this topic

Hi, my boyfriend (U.S. citizen) and I (Filipino citizen) are planning on getting married, but I have some concerns as I overstayed in the U.S. before. Technically, I only accrued 37 days of overstay. However, I was brought into the U.S. as an infant and lived there until I turned 18. Thirty-seven days after turning 18 I left the U.S and returned back to the Philippines. I know I'm still eligible to apply for a K-1 visa as you cannot accrue a legal presence in the U.S. if you're under 18, but will my presence in the U.S. as a minor be cause for denial? I have been out of the U.S. for nearly 10 years now and haven't been back to the U.S. since. 

Edited by lc562

I don't think you should have a problem. 

As you stated, your actual overstay was 37 days and even if you were subject to a ban -which you're not-, your bar would be over by the time your visa is approved.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.