Linababe

Wedding Registries - did anyone use them for gifts for the wedding?

55 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just exploring the option of using Wedding gift registries - I would love to hear peoples opinions on this and if you did use one then with which store etc. Any ideas anyone? I know my UK friends and family will not be able to attend the wedding and I thought this may be a way if the registries have online purchasing:) I knwo Walmarts does - any other places?

Lina (UKC)

PLEASE REMEMBER TO UPDATE YOUR TIMELINE AS THE STATISTICS ON THIS FORUM ARE CALCULATED VIA THE TIMELINES. PLEASE GO TO: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

WAITING FOR AN INTERVIEW DATE AT LONDON? COME JOIN US HERE: <a

London Interview list

http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map]http://www.frappr.com/visaapplicantsvianebraska/map</a>

Frapper map of the world for those who applied for marriage based visa through Nebraska, It's a good way to actually see where people are, if anyone is near you, send messages to discuss, vent, or share even meet up!!!

27 Feb. 2006: K1 petition sent to Nebraska Service Centre

2 March 2006: NOA1 dated (received in mail on 9 March 2006)

4 May 2006: NOA2!!!!! (DAY 66)

8 May 2006: File Sent to NVC (as stated on email dated 9 May)

24 May 2006: NVC sends our file to London Embassy

8 June 2006: Packet 3 arrives (DAY 101)

25 August 2006: Pack 3 sent to London Embassy registered post

29 August 2006: London Embassy receives my Pack 3 - 9/9/06 pack 4 arrives

SEPT 2006:APPLICATION PUT ON HOLD - WE HAD A FALLING OUT.

MAY 2007:RESUMED THE VISA APPLICATION

6 June 2007: Medical @ 2.30pm - need to get anew GP letter and psychiatric evaluation

7 June 2007: INTERVIEW @ 10am - waiting for new police record letter

3 July 2007: APPROVED/Visa arrives

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Just about all stores have wedding gift registries anymore and I think they are a great idea. They are free and if it will help you get the gifts you are actually wanting/needing instead of a sterling silver butter dish that you may never use...I so go for it! Not to mention it makes it easier on your guests...they don't have to go through the worry of wondering if the towel set they have picked out will match your bathroom. It's a win win for everyone, even the vendors as it increases business for them.

Most of the stores even have the convenience of being able to register online.

Here is just a few stores that I know have wedding gift registries available.

Wal-Mart

Target

Bed, Bath & Beyond (one of my favs!)

JC Penney

Dillards

Macy's

Kohls

Crate & Barrel

Pottery Barn

And I'm sure that list goes on and on...those are the ones off the top of my head. I'm not sure how big of a wedding you are wanting to plan but I highly recommend The Knot as well, it has tons of wedding information, help and tips. (www.theknot.com)

Good Luck and Happy Shopping!

Edited by Kym

Aug. 2001 - met online playing trivia

May 2006 - engaged

06-12-06 - Met with lawyer, filed for a K-1 visa

07-17-06 - NOA1

10-31-06 - Touched

01-29-07 - Found out from USCIS that my lawyer had filed at the wrong service center and nothing has been processed.

02-08-07 - Found out that our petition had been closed back in Oct. 2006. No one was ever notified of this from USCIS

02-09-07 - Began gathering paperwork once again to start all over. Started cancelling our wedding plans

02-20-07 - Filed for a K-1 visa once again

02-27-07 - NOA1

04-21-07 - Originally planned wedding date (had to cancel) :(

05-22-07 - Touched

06-01-07 - Granted a Congressional Inquiry!

06-15-07 - NVC received our approved I-129F petition (I never received an NOA2 via email or snail mail). We are just so HAPPY to finally move on!

06-25-07 - Packet 3 received (but it was rec'd by our lawyer, she has forwarded it on to my fiance in Australia)

06-28-07 - Fiance rec'd Packet 3

06-30-07 - Finally rec'd NOA2 via snail mail. It is dated June 25, same day as Packet 3 was rec'd.

07-05-07 - Mailed back form letter DSL-1076 (Applicant's Statement of Readiness to be Interviewed).

07-05-07 - Just waiting now in hopes of an interview date before APEC

07-13-07 - Received Packet 4

07-30-07 - Interview!!!! - APPROVED!

09-01-07 - Fiance arrives in the USA!

10-06-07 - Getting Married

Great idea. We had ours at a couple of places and it worked well with people that could not come over from the UK.

k37hm7.png

03-06-10 Mailed N-400

03-17-10 Check cashed

03-19-10 NOA received

03-22-10 Biometrics sent

04-09-10 Biometrics appointment

06-14-10 Interview Date

06-22-10 Received letter for Oath

07-02-10 Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

We set up one online for our Oklahoma family, just so they could get an idea of styles, colours, and things we needed, but not necessarily to buy from.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Yes, almost all stores have them now. Popular ones are Macy's, JC Penney (or other department stores), Bed, Bath, and Beyond, Pier 1, Ikea, Home Depot/Loews (if you want things to work on your house), Target, Kohls, etc.

Just find your favorite store and enquire. The best ones are where you can view and order online so that people can order your gifts :) Good luck!!

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

Lots of them also give you coupons after the wedding for what is left on the registry. Macy's was doing a thing when we registered in April where if you signed up for their credit card, anything anyone bought for your registry you got I think 5% back and 10% for anything you purchase with the credit card. I like gifts and money and this combines the 2!

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Lina,

One thing to be aware of is that a lot of the USA stores on line don't like accepting non-US credit/debit cards. Even for a wedding registry they might only accept a credit/debit card that is issued from a USA bank or has a USA Billing Address.

Just thought it might be worth pointing out that. I just don't want you to setup a registry and have non of you're friends and family back in the UK be able to buy anything from it. Just check with the store before you commit.

Rob

Edited by Rob and Geneva

-------------------------

met online Dec 19 2004

met in person Dec 24 2004

met her family in states Jun 5 2005

moved in together Jun 2005

officially engaged April 17 2007

married at Lazaats June 15 2007

sent off I-130 June 30 2007

recieved I-130 back (signed in wrong place) 2 July 2007

sent off I-130 July 4 2007 (again) signed this time

We have one at Target, and what's nice about it is that after your wedding you get 10% off everything that is not purchased for you.

We also have a wish list at Urban Outfitters for a few more kitschy things. It works a lot like a registry in that it tells us what people have bought for us, etc.

Neal (UK) and Cari (USA)

N-400

01-30-2013 Sent N-400 to Dallas Lockbox
02-04-2013 Package marked as "Delivered"
02-07-2013 Check cashed
02-08-2013 NOA
02-21-2013 Biometrics
02-25-2013 Inline for Interview

04-08-2013 Interview

05-31-2013 Oath Ceremony

Hiya!

We registered at Macys. Got nearly everything we picked out! We were modest about it though. Macys was great, I had fantastic customer service with them. Even got 10% completion gift off everything we wanted to buy from our registry that wasn't purchased.

Most of my guests were from out of town so it made it easy for them. I live no where near a Macys and I did everything online.

Chris and I even went today to exchange a table cloth that was sent in the wrong size. Even that was easy. They gave us our discount and are having the item shipped with no added fees. Just singing the praises of Macys. Plus the prices were pretty good on most items. Sales change weekly.

We also registered locally at the Antique store we bought my engagement ring. Family friends but the did an amazing job.

Have fun!!

Oh..most of the UK family gave us money! So that even worked out OK

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Could try Amazon too...

We set ours up at Target. At the time it said on the website anything we bought that was left on the registry would be 10% off. I went to confirm this at the store and they told me it was wrong, only things that were online.

A few weeks later we got a card saying 10% off anything left on registry online OR in store.

I wish they would educate their staff :angry:

Oh yeah... family sent money to my mum, she had it changed to USD and bought it with her when she came to the wedding which I thought was really nice

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Crate and Barrel and Bed Bath and Beyond also have the % off coupon. We found a lot of the stuff at Macy's they have at BBB for less.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Crate and Barrel and Bed Bath and Beyond also have the % off coupon. We found a lot of the stuff at Macy's they have at BBB for less.

Crate and Barrel is one of my favs!!

I considered Bed Bath and Beyond as well. But I didn't have very good luck with them customer service wise for another wedding registry I delt with. So just from personal experience I decided to skip em.

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

Filed: Timeline

I loathe registries. I feel it kinda makes ppl feel obligated to buy gifts. Sounds pretty silly, I know...but if someone wants to buy us something, I wouldn't really care what it was & whatever they decided on would be fine for me. Registries take the suprise outta things for me.

I loathe registries. I feel it kinda makes ppl feel obligated to buy gifts. Sounds pretty silly, I know...but if someone wants to buy us something, I wouldn't really care what it was & whatever they decided on would be fine for me. Registries take the suprise outta things for me.

I was against a registry as well. But honestly I had more people ask me about a registry then anything, which is why I decided to get one. My problem is when people called me or my mom to ask what Chris and I might need (and they did) I felt awkward in giving them an answer. By providing a registry I was able to direct them to it and not have to suggest what they buy.

What I didn't do was list it on my invites or shower invites. I felt if people were interested in what I might need or if I had a registry then they would call me. And then did. What worked out for me is that I didn't have to return anything or regift anything. Plus I had all the kitchen appliances etc. So I didn't want to replace what I already have.

But I do see where you are coming from Lisa..I was not a huge fan either. Gifts are from the heart...

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

love gift registries - not just for weddings, but baby showers and anniversaries ;) we just keep a running wish list with amazon and different sites, and when family ask "what do you really need/want" we just send them there - saves hassle!

I-130 Filed - Sept. 15, 2006

129-F Filed - Oct. 27, 2006

I-130/129F Approved - Jan. 10, 2007

K3/K4 Visas Approved - May 4, 2007

~~~~Hubby and Son PoE Newark - May 27, 2007~~~~

EAD filed for Hubby - June 6, 2007

EAD NOA for Hubby - June 13, 2007

AoS filed for Hubby and Son - June 15, 2007

EAD for Hubby APPROVED! WOW!!!!!! - July 19, 2007

AoS Interview for Hubby and Son in Philadelphia - Friday, September 14, 2007 - APPROVED!

10 Year Green Cards Received!!!! - October 12, 2007

Done until naturalization!

m_7dc3c15c2e1d0eafb3d8770777862202.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.