MrsBryant

K1 -Austria to USA- inmate

23 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, brevig said:

I was recently denied k1 a visa in Cambodia.  I'm the US petitioner.  Have lived with her for 5 years with plenty of proof.  I have 3 non-violent convictions for misdemeanors 2004-2007 with 1 that was initially charged as violent/felony but dropped.  I'd go through not just his convictions but all his arrests (as he'll have to report ALL of them regardless of if convicted), if there is anything violent I would recommend getting married then filing from my personal experience.

Good morning! Thank you very much. You helped me a lot. I'm going to tell my fiance about that. You mean we should go for the K3 right? If so, I'll definitely check it out after work 😁

Timeline
28 minutes ago, MrsBryant said:

Good morning! Thank you very much. You helped me a lot. I'm going to tell my fiance about that. You mean we should go for the K3 right? If so, I'll definitely check it out after work 😁

You're welcome! I'm talking about the immigrant visa IR1 or CR1. 

A question though, how long have you known each other? How many times have you met? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
7 minutes ago, mattelo said:

how long have you known each other? How many times have you met?

I met her November 2016, we've lived together 85+% of the time since January 2017.  We've traveled over 6x to other countries, my son lived here 1.5 years and daughter visited.  With a K1 there is no appeal and officers can look for the slightest reason to reject and call it "discretion".  With that I would advise making everything clean, especially Facebook.

46 minutes ago, MrsBryant said:

K3s are not a thing any longer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
42 minutes ago, MrsBryant said:

You mean we should go for the K3 right?

K3 I believe is basically obsolete.  I would say instead to do CR1 because it has more protection including you can appeal vs being at the mercy of the Embassy. CR1 I believe is good for 2 years then they reevaluate and give you a 10 year.  I think with any K visa it's a bit of a roll of the dice when you have convictions because if you get the wrong officer they have already decided your case before asking questions. 

1 minute ago, brevig said:

K3 I believe is basically obsolete.  I would say instead to do CR1 because it has more protection including you can appeal vs being at the mercy of the Embassy. CR1 I believe is good for 2 years then they reevaluate and give you a 10 year.  I think with any K visa it's a bit of a roll of the dice when you have convictions because if you get the wrong officer they have already decided your case before asking questions. 

I think you're confused.  CR-1 is a visa leading to a two year conditional green card.  The green card holder has to remove conditions at the end of the two years.

Timeline
7 hours ago, brevig said:

I met her November 2016, we've lived together 85+% of the time since January 2017.  We've traveled over 6x to other countries, my son lived here 1.5 years and daughter visited.  With a K1 there is no appeal and officers can look for the slightest reason to reject and call it "discretion".  With that I would advise making everything clean, especially Facebook.

Sorry, my question was initially for @MrsBryant

😉

Edited by mattelo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.