Moldovandish

Healthcare insurance for seniors

4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

My mom is sick and I just feel that the healthcare system back home isn't able to take care of her the way I'd want, but at the same time healthcare here is so expensive. I still have a while till I become US citizen and am able to file for her, but even if I did and she became a permanent resident, would she qualify for Medicare? How expensive is healthcare insurance for a senior?

Love is patient

05/01 - Engagement

10/20 - I-129f sent to TSC

10/24 - NOA1

04/09 - NOA2

04/22 - NVC sent petition to Bucharest

07/20 - interview - APPROVED!

08/13 - flight to RDU

09/18 - Wedding

09/30 - SSN with married name

10/01 - sent in AOS to Charlotte

10/13 - NOA - AOS & EAD

10/20 - Bio

12/02 - received EAD

08/18 - e-filed EAD renewal

10/13 - FP

10/24 - interview letter

11/02 - EAD recieved

12/13 - AOS interview

12/19 - Green Card received

09/14 - I-751 sent to TSC

09/18 - received

10/16 - Check cashed. Transf. to CSC

10/17 - NOA received

12/15 - biometrics

01/25 - permanent Green Card approved

09/16 - N-400 sent to TSC

09/19 - received

09/22 - check cashed

09/23 - NOA

10/23 - Biometrics

11/22 - Interview letter received

01/26 - Interview - PASSED!

03/13 - Oath

foxfoxard20071112_-5_Alexa%20Helen%20is.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
My mom is sick and I just feel that the healthcare system back home isn't able to take care of her the way I'd want, but at the same time healthcare here is so expensive. I still have a while till I become US citizen and am able to file for her, but even if I did and she became a permanent resident, would she qualify for Medicare? How expensive is healthcare insurance for a senior?

If you have to ask you can not afford it. The US is the last place to bring an elderly sick relative who is not very wealthy, and if they are wealthy they will not be for long.

Generally, you are eligible for Medicare if you or your spouse worked for at least 10 years in Medicare-covered employment and you are 65 years old and a citizen or permanent resident of the United States. You might also qualify for coverage if you are a younger person with a disability or with End-Stage Renal disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or transplant).

Here are some simple guidelines. You can get Part A at age 65 without having to pay premiums if:

* You are already receiving retirement benefits from Social Security or the Railroad Retirement Board.

* You are eligible to receive Social Security or Railroad benefits but have not yet filed for them.

* You or your spouse had Medicare-covered government employment.

If you are under 65, you can get Part A without having to pay premiums if:

* You have received Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board disability benefit for 24 months.

* You are a kidney dialysis or kidney transplant patient.

While you do not have to pay a premium for Part A if you meet one of those conditions, you must pay for Part B if you want it. The Part B monthly premium in 2006 is $88.50. It is deducted from your Social Security, Railroad Retirement, or Civil Service Retirement check. If you do not get any of the above payments, Medicare sends you a bill for your Part B premium every 3 months.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Moldova
Timeline

So basically it looks like it wouldn't be a wise decision to bring her here to live. That is not easy, cause I wish I could have her closer to take care of her.

I am covered by my employer's health care insurance policy and my hubby is too for a very small pay, but unfortunately parents are not covered, even if they are direct dependents.

Love is patient

05/01 - Engagement

10/20 - I-129f sent to TSC

10/24 - NOA1

04/09 - NOA2

04/22 - NVC sent petition to Bucharest

07/20 - interview - APPROVED!

08/13 - flight to RDU

09/18 - Wedding

09/30 - SSN with married name

10/01 - sent in AOS to Charlotte

10/13 - NOA - AOS & EAD

10/20 - Bio

12/02 - received EAD

08/18 - e-filed EAD renewal

10/13 - FP

10/24 - interview letter

11/02 - EAD recieved

12/13 - AOS interview

12/19 - Green Card received

09/14 - I-751 sent to TSC

09/18 - received

10/16 - Check cashed. Transf. to CSC

10/17 - NOA received

12/15 - biometrics

01/25 - permanent Green Card approved

09/16 - N-400 sent to TSC

09/19 - received

09/22 - check cashed

09/23 - NOA

10/23 - Biometrics

11/22 - Interview letter received

01/26 - Interview - PASSED!

03/13 - Oath

foxfoxard20071112_-5_Alexa%20Helen%20is.png

Filed: Timeline
Generally, you are eligible for Medicare if you or your spouse worked for at least 10 years in Medicare-covered employment and you are 65 years old and a citizen or permanent resident of the United States. You might also qualify for coverage if you are a younger person with a disability or with End-Stage Renal disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or transplant).

Here are some simple guidelines. You can get Part A at age 65 without having to pay premiums if:

* You are already receiving retirement benefits from Social Security or the Railroad Retirement Board.

* You are eligible to receive Social Security or Railroad benefits but have not yet filed for them.

* You or your spouse had Medicare-covered government employment.

If you are under 65, you can get Part A without having to pay premiums if:

* You have received Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board disability benefit for 24 months.

* You are a kidney dialysis or kidney transplant patient.

While you do not have to pay a premium for Part A if you meet one of those conditions, you must pay for Part B if you want it. The Part B monthly premium in 2006 is $88.50. It is deducted from your Social Security, Railroad Retirement, or Civil Service Retirement check. If you do not get any of the above payments, Medicare sends you a bill for your Part B premium every 3 months.

You only need to be a PR for 5 years if your aren't eligible for Free Part A. If eligible for Social Security or Railroad benefits on the record of a spouse or parent you can be eligible for Free Medicare Part A as soon as you get off the boat.

The 2006 Medicare Part A premium for those who are not eligible for premium free hospital insurance (HI) and have less than 30 quarters of Medicare covered employment is $393.00 per month.

You cannot enroll in Premium HI (Part A) without also enrolling in SMI (Part B).

HI 00801.131 Eligibility for Premium-HI:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0600801131

Edited by mdyoung

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.