prettylilraindrop

Anyone recently travelled to UK from US?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I am due to take a trip next Friday to the UK after over a year. I'm fully vaccinated but aware I have to take a test before, on day 2, day 5 (for test to release) and day 10. I also only just realized I also need to take a test 3 days before re-entering the US. Honestly it's all hugely stressful but I am desprate to see my family, so I will do what needs to be done.

I was just looking for people who have recently taken this trip, how did you find it to be? Also, what tests did you choose for re-entering the US? I see this one online https://store.optum.com/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack?utm_source=united&utm_medium=referral&utm_term=&utm_content=2-pack&utm_campaign=travel_ready_covid_test&utm_nooverride=1 and am wondering if I should use this to test before departure and after re-entering the US? Or if there are any other cheaper options potentially you have come across?

Honestly any advice/ experience appreciated. 

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, prettylilraindrop said:

I am due to take a trip next Friday to the UK after over a year. I'm fully vaccinated but aware I have to take a test before, on day 2, day 5 (for test to release) and day 10. I also only just realized I also need to take a test 3 days before re-entering the US. Honestly it's all hugely stressful but I am desprate to see my family, so I will do what needs to be done.

I was just looking for people who have recently taken this trip, how did you find it to be? Also, what tests did you choose for re-entering the US? I see this one online https://store.optum.com/products/abbott-binaxNOW-COVID-19-ag-at-home-test-kit-2-pack?utm_source=united&utm_medium=referral&utm_term=&utm_content=2-pack&utm_campaign=travel_ready_covid_test&utm_nooverride=1 and am wondering if I should use this to test before departure and after re-entering the US? Or if there are any other cheaper options potentially you have come across?

Honestly any advice/ experience appreciated. 

When you say the UK, is it England you're visiting? I'm asking because each country has different rules and I know that Scotland has no Test to Release scheme, so you have to self-isolate for 10 days, which is putting me off a visit to the US right now.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Ewan said:

When you say the UK, is it England you're visiting? I'm asking because each country has different rules and I know that Scotland has no Test to Release scheme, so you have to self-isolate for 10 days, which is putting me off a visit to the US right now.

Yes sorry It's England! That's annoying there is no option for the test to release, it's extra money which is annoying but worth it for the few extra days!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have done this trip in the past few weeks. I had a lot of issues with the tests I pre-purchased to have sent to a UK address for my arrival. My advice is be extremely cautious who you choose to do your tests through. I completed my Day 5 test through “Boots.”  I am also doing my “Fit to Fly” test through them. Based solely on my experience with “Boots”, I would recommend them. 

I also used the app “VeriFLY” extremely helpful for getting your documents ready for the airport. I travelled 3 weeks ago, and they were very strict on paper work at the airport. They wanted proof of all the tests you had pre-bought for when you got to the UK, negative Covid test certificate, and passenger locator forms. 

hope this helps. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Kim.D said:

I have done this trip in the past few weeks. I had a lot of issues with the tests I pre-purchased to have sent to a UK address for my arrival. My advice is be extremely cautious who you choose to do your tests through. I completed my Day 5 test through “Boots.”  I am also doing my “Fit to Fly” test through them. Based solely on my experience with “Boots”, I would recommend them. 

I also used the app “VeriFLY” extremely helpful for getting your documents ready for the airport. I travelled 3 weeks ago, and they were very strict on paper work at the airport. They wanted proof of all the tests you had pre-bought for when you got to the UK, negative Covid test certificate, and passenger locator forms. 

hope this helps. 

Thank you so much, this is really helpful. I will definitely check ouit VeriFLY and Boots out. For the negative covid test certificate, what exactly did they want to see, an email, text message or something? I have found some Antigen tests, but they just show a negative result, I don't believe there's any link to your name and details etc so I assume they would not be allowed?

Who did you book your tests through in the UK, if you don't mind me asking? There's soo many options on the uk gov website it's hard to know which will be reliable or not. I think the one I was looking at was Dantelabs as the price also included the 24 hour shipping.

It's so expensive for all the testing as well as obviously money paid for flights, baggage etc it's kinda crazy.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
3 minutes ago, prettylilraindrop said:

Thank you so much, this is really helpful. I will definitely check ouit VeriFLY and Boots out. For the negative covid test certificate, what exactly did they want to see, an email, text message or something? I have found some Antigen tests, but they just show a negative result, I don't believe there's any link to your name and details etc so I assume they would not be allowed?

Who did you book your tests through in the UK, if you don't mind me asking? There's soo many options on the uk gov website it's hard to know which will be reliable or not. I think the one I was looking at was Dantelabs as the price also included the 24 hour shipping.

It's so expensive for all the testing as well as obviously money paid for flights, baggage etc it's kinda crazy.

4 minutes ago, prettylilraindrop said:

It is so crazy expensive 🤦‍♀️ I used “CityDoc” for Day 2 and 8. They were awful. I had someone from “Track and Trace” calling me everyday during quarantine. I told them my issues, and they told me to contact the NHS. They ended up having to step in and help. 

For your Covid certificate you need a lot of information on it. The app I told you about will actually review your test to tell you if it is okay or not. Going from memory it needed your name, DOB, date of test, laboratory or testers name, contact details of lab, result and I think type of test. I’m sure I might have missed something out. 

Hope this helps. 

Kim

• 1 month later...

I flew back to the UK recently and my experience was good. Very easy and straight forward. Ordered my tests via Randox, 86£ for days 2and 8 and an additional £43 for day 5 test to release. no queues at LHR and very straight forward process. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.