JEM87

Many Questions - Just Starting Out

22 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, JEM87 said:

So he is not currently in the U.S. and the December wedding (court signing) would be in Ghana as well. 
After further research, I think I'm fine on the taxes and income requirement situation. We don't want to spend too much time apart, but we are also willing to do what we have to do. 
I will check on the B type visa. I hadn't seen anything the last time I was doing research. 

Thank you for your help

He is very unlikely to get a B visa.

Have you met in person yet?  As others have said, Ghana is a high fraud/high risk country, and will your petition/visa application will be scrutinized.  If you are going to marry on the first visit, it would be wise to spend more time together before filing.

Edited by Jorgedig

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

and definitely marry in December means you can claim him as spouse on 2021 taxes with W7 and supporting documents 

this is really worth the time and effort as it looks good to start commingling financial assets

Next spring follow the IRS non resident alien spouse site that tells you how to do this

if you forget  this site,  write us here 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

13 hours ago, nastra30 said:

If you want to do some ceremony or wedding to celebrate your marriage in August 2022, that's fine (just make sure you are not signing any other legal doc saying you got married in August 2022). According the US your official and actual marriage will be based on the court signing you'll do in August 2021 which will be reflected on your marriage certificate. Since, you've already figured the K-1 route will not be appropriate for the plans you guys have in mind, your only option is the I-130 petition route. You'll need to gather documents showing actual time spent together as those carry the most weight. 

Do I need a lawyer right now? - I think you can easily do the process without spending money on a lawyer.

If we're going with the marriage visa, how early can we get that process started? (Can I start it now even though we're getting married officially in December or do I have to wait? - You can start gathering all the evidence and documents you have if you want to get ahead of the game but you can only submit the application after the actual marriage has occurred in December.

I saw some articles mentioning reviewing taxes of the sponsor, is that true? I'd like to know other peoples' experiences with that. - You'll need to submit affidavit of support once your petition has been approved. Start reading on Form I-864

Thank you so much!

10 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

and definitely marry in December means you can claim him as spouse on 2021 taxes with W7 and supporting documents 

this is really worth the time and effort as it looks good to start commingling financial assets

Next spring follow the IRS non resident alien spouse site that tells you how to do this

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-alien-spouse

Thank you!!

12 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

He is very unlikely to get a B visa.

Have you met in person yet?  As others have said, Ghana is a high fraud/high risk country, and will your petition/visa application will be scrutinized.  If you are going to marry on the first visit, it would be wise to spend more time together before filing.

Yes we have met in person. I've been to Ghana twice already. So no marriage on the first visit. 

10 hours ago, JeanneAdil said:

If we get married earlier than December this year, say August, I could still claim him as spouse on my 2021 taxes right? 
or is your point before the end of the year?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
4 hours ago, JEM87 said:

If we get married earlier than December this year, say August, I could still claim him as spouse on my 2021 taxes right? 
or is your point before the end of the year?

you marry anytime in 2021 you get to claim him on taxes / he will be a nonresident alien spouse

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.