SashGee

N/A or leave blank?

7 posts in this topic

Instructions for the I-129F say to write N/A if a question doesn’t apply to me

or my fiancée. There are many questions that don’t apply to us. Do we write N/A in them all or can we leave them blank? For instance if I’ve only had one employer for the last five years, do I write N/A in all the fields listed under “Employer 2”? Or can I leave that segment blank? 

I personally just put N/A on everything that doesn't apply. There is really no point to get lazy on this. The last thing you really want is someone to be like "uhhh why didnt they answer this?" Also going through everything allows you to make sure you do fill out everything important. I say just do it and life is easier.

30 minutes ago, BigBen17 said:

I personally just put N/A on everything that doesn't apply. There is really no point to get lazy on this. The last thing you really want is someone to be like "uhhh why didnt they answer this?" Also going through everything allows you to make sure you do fill out everything important. I say just do it and life is easier.

Thanks, that’s what I thought too! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I'd never head of anyone getting an RFE or a denial over this prior to 2020, and as long as they're using the form-fillable PDFs configured so you can't actually type N/A in not applicable fields (and often can't type anything) without hacking around to disable the validation I think it's really silly to require something there (since that basically means writing by hand or using one trick or another to get around the validation), but that is what the directions say and there are some reports of failing to do so causing problems relatively recently.

Before that, I would have said that you're probably fine just leaving things blank that don't apply even though the instructions say otherwise; we did on both the I-129F and Anastasia's AOS application but that was a couple years ago.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

9 hours ago, DaveAndAnastasia said:

I'd never head of anyone getting an RFE or a denial over this prior to 2020, and as long as they're using the form-fillable PDFs configured so you can't actually type N/A in not applicable fields (and often can't type anything) without hacking around to disable the validation I think it's really silly to require something there (since that basically means writing by hand or using one trick or another to get around the validation), but that is what the directions say and there are some reports of failing to do so causing problems relatively recently.

Before that, I would have said that you're probably fine just leaving things blank that don't apply even though the instructions say otherwise; we did on both the I-129F and Anastasia's AOS application but that was a couple years ago.

Thanks. To be safe we put N/A in all those parts that didn’t apply to us, unless of course the field had fixed responses (eg. drop-down menu for postal code). We found that we couldn’t type into some fields for some reason so we just created new text boxes for those. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
25 minutes ago, SashGee said:

We found that we couldn’t type into some fields for some reason so we just created new text boxes for those. 

Smart way to do it.  I just wrote N/A after I printed it out because i was ready to send everything off after holding it for a few days.  I originally wrote everything out and realized... 1. My handwriting is messy for an important government document  2. I could not fit a certain text in the box when i wrote it. 
Ended up extending it to the extra pages when i typed everything out.

Either way, you are all set.  Once you receive your NOA-1, just relax and enjoy the world.

11 minutes ago, Keithn85 said:

Smart way to do it.  I just wrote N/A after I printed it out because i was ready to send everything off after holding it for a few days.  I originally wrote everything out and realized... 1. My handwriting is messy for an important government document  2. I could not fit a certain text in the box when i wrote it. 
Ended up extending it to the extra pages when i typed everything out.

Either way, you are all set.  Once you receive your NOA-1, just relax and enjoy the world.

Thank you so much! It’s been such a stressful period trying to figure out what’s right, wrong, acceptable, not acceptable. Yes, my fiancé’s handwriting is awful so I insisted we type everything. LOL! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.