zozomike

CEAC still shows refused. (merged)

114 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I have posted before, but still failed to input a proper timeline, sorry. But my question is one I do not find reading the forums. As background, I, a US citizen, met my love in Sri Lanka January 2018. We attempted a fiancée visa with a hired consultant and were DQ Feb 2019. The interview in Colombo followed Apr. 2019, a handwritten request for more docs was given, and these were all sent within a week, and receipt confirmed by the Embassy. We were then ghosted for months, and my query emails unanswered. At the suggestion of the consultant, I contacted my Senator, and they sent a query, which was answered in Nov 2019. The CO stated the visa was declined, and failed to provide reasons either to the Senator or myself. My Fiancée was called back to Colombo and her documents were returned and she was told by the Secretary she was refused. Again no reasons. Not knowing what to do, we determined to marry (Jan 3rd 2020) and pursue the Spousal route. We were DQ Apr 2020, her interview was Feb 2nd 2021, oddly they jumped the interview date up, and her medical exam was not complete due to appointment times. So that was needed, also they wanted a current police from Korea where she had worked as a youth, not accepting the one from the prior application, even though her passport showed she had not left the country. And they wanted documentation on my income, since beginning the process I had retired and current income showed below the requirement (this was not actual, my social security does not show on the 1040 Total Income line) So real total income was documented  (again, she had it with her at interview, but CO declined to look) As well as something over 10 times the liquid investments required to sub for current income. I did the math for them, we got all together and everything has been at the embassy for 50 days. 

So finally here is my question;

Would it help to try contacting the Embassy? She has read that 60 days is a " normal" time for decisions. CEAC has said " Refused" since Feb 8th 2021 2 days after her interview, and before any supplemental docs were sent. I got the feeling they were not being " professional" when they took 8 months after interview to advise of refusal in the Fiancée visa, (Never said so) and I do not want to have them get irritated with me now and do it again. So, Would it help to try contacting the Embassy?

Edited by Penguin_ie

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

yes,  long AP is normal for many countries while the extra security checks are being done as their countries have poor systems 

as she worked out of her country ,  this does require these

and refused does not mean denied 

they use to put AP in the CEAC site while this happened and now they put refused

It doesn't hurt to email the embassy  / it also may not help but do all you can do if for no other reason but to reassure her you are trying your best and since many immigrants get discourage with their "life on hold"   this is important 

BTW not sure why  the agency could think your Senator to help / they have no power over immigration

and there is "no normal times for a decision "   many here have waited a year as in  many countries  

the process of background verification difficult and cumbersome is the lack of a centralised repository of information, defined processes and procedures to conduct checks at educational institutes, police stations or courts.

1 hour ago, Nitas_man said:

Not once, ever, did I ever have a case that I wasn’t in idle contact with the embassy

Hopefully you aren’t throwing things over the fence and waiting to see what happens

Haha, I have not thrown anything, but have thought of it. Thanks

Thank you JeanneAdil for the sage advice. Having been denied before without reason leaves us quite worried. I am not sure what an Embassy has to investigate, since she provided current police clearances from her home country as well as South Korea. Unless they wish to investigate me, which they are welcome to. I believed that was the reason we provided hundreds of pages of documents and forms. (she has two teenage sons, now my stepsons, we are applying for also) Most of which at least the CO did not appear to have read. 

• 3 months later...

No, we are still in the dark, 7 months after the interview. And her country (Sri Lanka) is again under total lockdown, I imagine they would use that as some excuse, if they cared enough to even bother. I had hoped with a new SOS there would be some changes, but....

• 3 weeks later...

To my surprise it was updated two weeks ago. The last time it was touched was mid February. It remains REFUSED. We have received no word. I just sent a begging email to the Consular Colombo. 

I feel you zozomike. My husband and I have been married since 2019, he had his interview late April of this year. They asked for different translations than the ones the NVC accepted. We gave them and the last time they updated our status was May (probably after they opened the translations they received). It's hard being in the dark for so long. I have this paranoia that we've been waiting this long and we'll just end up denied even though there is no reason. We first met in 2014, have a long history together, married for 2 years now, neither of us have criminal records, I make enough money and he has plenty of savings, and before covid I stayed with him for long periods of time in Sri Lanka.

I'm trying to be understanding. I tell myself they must be having a hard time right now with the travel restrictions and curfews. But the fear and anxiety the wait brings is too real.

No kidding, btw I received an auto reply to my begging email. It said that due to Covid, the Colombo Embassy had suspended processing all immigrant and non immigrant visas, as of the end of May. This is the first news of that I have gotten. Someone must still be in the " back room" since they updated us 2 weeks ago. And of course Sri Lanka is in lockdown.....

12 hours ago, zozomike said:

No kidding, btw I received an auto reply to my begging email. It said that due to Covid, the Colombo Embassy had suspended processing all immigrant and non immigrant visas, as of the end of May. This is the first news of that I have gotten. Someone must still be in the " back room" since they updated us 2 weeks ago. And of course Sri Lanka is in lockdown.....

So I got that email once in July when I sent them an email with the case number as the subject line. But I did get a real response at the end of August that the officer would be in touch after the curfew. Also the embassy's covid-19 page was updated in August to say that they're processing all immediate relative visa's when before that it said they were only doing humanitarian visas. I think they just make that auto-reply email happen when they can't keep up with the emails but who ever is responsible for updating it hasn't. I would try contacting them after the curfew is lifted.

On 9/6/2021 at 7:04 PM, kelsw said:

So I got that email once in July when I sent them an email with the case number as the subject line. But I did get a real response at the end of August that the officer would be in touch after the curfew. Also the embassy's covid-19 page was updated in August to say that they're processing all immediate relative visa's when before that it said they were only doing humanitarian visas. I think they just make that auto-reply email happen when they can't keep up with the emails but who ever is responsible for updating it hasn't. I would try contacting them after the curfew is lifted.

Hi kelsw is your visa IR1 as well ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.