girlafraid7

Do the employees have to be so terrible?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am usually a pretty happy and positive person, always joking and talking with security and people who are helping me--because i appreciate their help. Well, today my husband who has his permanent resident visa with stamp in his passport (still waiting for the green card to come in the mail) went to the USCIS office to see why he hasn't been put into the system yet. well first of all the security guard (rent-a-cop mind you) was completely rude as we approached. He said to me, One at a time, but I guess my husband didn't hear and told the guy--I'm with her. The security said no you aren't and closed the door in his face. okkkk....then proceeded to bark orders at me to pass through the metal detectors. Ok whatever.

Then when our number is called, we went up to the appropriate window. Keep in mind, this is 730 in the morning so we were like 3rd in line...I mention this because the probability that the immigration officer has dealt with a ton of horrible people already today is quite low. so we walk up, and he barks "Appointment form!" so we hand him the infopass printout. Then he said "what" as in what do you want. I explained that we had gone to the social security office and they couldn't issue us a number because he hasn't been put in the system yet. And before I finished my sentence, he cut me off and said "probably because he's illegal!" I said no, he's legal he has the stamp in his passport. He was fumbling through the passport almost ripping pages out and my husband said, "here, i'll show you". The officer literally threw the passport back...it hit the window!! OK.... so we show him the page and all the while he is yelling at us and of course never making eye contact. Finally, he finds our information and said "See just like i said, it take 6-8 weeks...your paperwork is in the texas service center waiting to be processed. But don't come back at the 8 week mark because it could take even longer. And don't even think about expecting your green card for a year." Ok..... We thanked him very much and left.

I understand that it must be hard dealing with immigrants all day...trying to speak in a common language can be frustrating. BUT hello.....I spoke to him in his own accent! How could someone possibly be so angry so early in the morning? What is so frustrating is that these people take advantage of the immigrants because they need him to help them! There is no he would speak to people that way in a normal situation. These people thrive on having power and control over others just to compensate for their own shortcomings!

I was thinking of saying something to him like "did i offend you in some way" but I could just picture him hitting the delete button with pleasure on my husband's record.

What a way to ruin the morning!

Sorry just venting!

:angry:

Thanks for listening.

Married 3/31/07

DCF Madrid-04/22/07

Green Card Granted 5/29/07

DH arrived in USA to live with me for good! 6/3/07

Filing for removal of conditions by 5/29/09

Baby girl due on 5/17/09

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Sorry to hear about your experience. I really don't understand the attitude some of these people have. OK, this is your job, it's not like someone is holding a gun to your head telling you that you have to do this. If you don't like it, find something else. They know what their job entails. I wonder what he would have said if you had asked to speak to his supervisor. :lol: There should be ways to file a complaint against individuals like this. Not like anything would come about from it.

3dflags_usa0001-0003a.gif3dflags_tha0001-0003a.gif

I-129F

Petition mailed to Nebraska Service Center 06/04/2007

Petition received by CSC 06/19/2007...NOA1

I love my Siamese kitten...

Been there, had that happen more than once!

Sucks as normally I'd have cut loose on the a hole or turned his butte in.

What did I do?

Smiled with my BP going nuts and walked away.

Yeah! Who knows what they can do with your papers.

Delete button is easy to push.

Thru the entire VJ process I've had to be a complete WIMP!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Nothing you can do tho but shut your mouth and smile.

Hint!

Take a couple valiums before you go to a USCIS office or call them on the phone!!!

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Ugh, sorry to hear about your experiences. (And of course hoping that won't happen to me, hehe.)

I really don't understand why grumpy people get customer service jobs. If you hate dealing with people, then why are you at your job? *scratches head* On the other hand, if you're having a bad day, why would you take it out on people? I guess we'll really never know.

Eventually (as in, never) I'll stop giving people the benefit of the doubt and actually be one of "those" people, you know who I'm talking about. :D

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Sorry to hear about your experience! Frankly, this sort of power trip really annoys the hell out of me. Yeah, I hate having to be a wimp or feeling so powerless.

I keep fantisizing that when this whole process finishes, I should write to Lou Dobbs or someone and ask them why the hell LEGAL IMMIGRANTS are treated so badly - hey - we're here to be future Americans, married (and in love with) Americans and paying taxes!!! I know this process has totally opened the eyes of my USC spouse - I think it comes as a shock to him to be treated this way as well, for no apparent reason.

I know that tons of experiences with USCIS are also really positive and it isn't everyone working there, but I think the lack of any avenues to really file a complaint, without fear of retribution, is the most difficult thing!

We had one rude guy on the phone (what some VJ-ers refer to as the "mis" information line) and while I had no idea what he looked like, I just imagined throwing pie in his face - and wow, did it feel good:-))))

Naturalization:

06 July 2011 - finally mailed of N-400 package. Not sure why I sat on my #### for about a year...

11 July 2011 - NOA and 23 Aug 2011 - Biometrics (rescheduled at my request; initial one Aug 3)

25 Oct 2011 - Interview - Approved

15 Dec 2011 - OATH DATE - US Citizen!!!

Removal of Conditions:

27 Aug 2009 mailed RoC documents and check (GC expires 09/21/09)

28 Aug 2009: NOA receipt date - received letter in mail on Sept 1 2009 (from ESC)

25 Sept 2009: Biometrics appt - quick, easy...done

01 Oct 2009: Green Card approval - Letter of Approval received Oct 5, 2009 from CSC 06 Oct 2009: Perm GC in mail; Resident since 21 Sept 2007

Adjustment of Status:

1 May 2007 Mailed AoS package:

9 May 2007 NoA date [day 6] 15 May NoA for Biometrics [day 12]

6 June Biometrics Exam [day 34]

6 July - EAD CARD production ordered - WOO HOO!!! [day 73]

26 July - EAD card received in mail [day 83] 30 July - Interview notice received in mail [day 87]

21 September - GREEN CARD INTERVIEW -- Approved!!!!! Acceptance letter handed to us - waiting for GC in mail... [day 140]

I suppose I've been lucky, but all the officers I've come across so far have been very friendly. I am dealing with the Seattle, WA office, located just south of the city. One officer I dealt with helped me far more than the expensive immigration attorney I originally consulted with, and sent me away with a very positive outlook on the USCIS system.

However, like I said, I know that I was lucky. I don't know what I will come across when I go in for my interview. I HATE the feeling of being completely under their control, not knowing what they could do to your case if they so chose. I'd like to think that they have no power whatsoever, but we do not know what they're looking at on their computer monitors and what they have access to.

I imagine that like restaurants, the staff are as good as the management: they'll be far nicer if they like working there and are treated well by their supervisors. If I were you, I'd file a formal complaint against this officer, but you may want to wait until your husband's Green Card has arrived!

And no, we don't deserve to be treated like this when we've spent thousands of dollars and waited in line for the privilege of becoming an American resident.

I am usually a pretty happy and positive person, always joking and talking with security and people who are helping me--because i appreciate their help. Well, today my husband who has his permanent resident visa with stamp in his passport (still waiting for the green card to come in the mail) went to the USCIS office to see why he hasn't been put into the system yet. well first of all the security guard (rent-a-cop mind you) was completely rude as we approached. He said to me, One at a time, but I guess my husband didn't hear and told the guy--I'm with her. The security said no you aren't and closed the door in his face. okkkk....then proceeded to bark orders at me to pass through the metal detectors. Ok whatever.

Then when our number is called, we went up to the appropriate window. Keep in mind, this is 730 in the morning so we were like 3rd in line...I mention this because the probability that the immigration officer has dealt with a ton of horrible people already today is quite low. so we walk up, and he barks "Appointment form!" so we hand him the infopass printout. Then he said "what" as in what do you want. I explained that we had gone to the social security office and they couldn't issue us a number because he hasn't been put in the system yet. And before I finished my sentence, he cut me off and said "probably because he's illegal!" I said no, he's legal he has the stamp in his passport. He was fumbling through the passport almost ripping pages out and my husband said, "here, i'll show you". The officer literally threw the passport back...it hit the window!! OK.... so we show him the page and all the while he is yelling at us and of course never making eye contact. Finally, he finds our information and said "See just like i said, it take 6-8 weeks...your paperwork is in the texas service center waiting to be processed. But don't come back at the 8 week mark because it could take even longer. And don't even think about expecting your green card for a year." Ok..... We thanked him very much and left.

I understand that it must be hard dealing with immigrants all day...trying to speak in a common language can be frustrating. BUT hello.....I spoke to him in his own accent! How could someone possibly be so angry so early in the morning? What is so frustrating is that these people take advantage of the immigrants because they need him to help them! There is no he would speak to people that way in a normal situation. These people thrive on having power and control over others just to compensate for their own shortcomings!

I was thinking of saying something to him like "did i offend you in some way" but I could just picture him hitting the delete button with pleasure on my husband's record.

What a way to ruin the morning!

Sorry just venting!

:angry:

Thanks for listening.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Sorry to hear about your experience....But if that happened to me I would ask him to look at me and then I would tell him that he will get sued if he doesn't behave...These immigration officers are just a bunch of uneducated hobos...You have every right to show them what they are...Life's too short to get treated badly just for a damn green card.

02/01/2016 - B-2 Visa declined

03/05/2016 - B-2 Visa reapplied

03/18/2016 - B-2 Visa declined

Timeline
Sorry to hear about your experience....But if that happened to me I would ask him to look at me and then I would tell him that he will get sued if he doesn't behave...These immigration officers are just a bunch of uneducated hobos...You have every right to show them what they are...Life's too short to get treated badly just for a damn green card.

They can also make your life a living hell if they want to.

I-129F

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know exactly what you are talking about. When I was getting my first passport (I'm a dual Canadian/U.S. citizen) I had to go to the consulate here in Calgary several times.

The person who was helping me there (supervisor) was extremely helpful, pleasant, informed etc..

On the other hand one time when I went there I told the security officer why I was there (if memory serves I was dropping off original documentation). He said I should speak to the receptionist first (I have no idea why, maybe he didn't understand why I was there....not sure).

Weeeelllllll, you would think I had insulted her and her first born. She appears at the desk from an area off to the side and on an angry scale of 1-10 she was already at an 8.

She looked at me like - why are you here at my little area looking through my glassssss - and basically told me the same thing.

Now I have no idea if she has a history with the security guard sending people to her window for no particular reason or what - but I bit my tongue and said nothing. Normally I would never had put up with that - I probably would have said - hey, are you this rude to all your customers or is it just me?

I am not sure that we should put up with that kind of treatment and in hindsight I would probably have handled it differently (ie: I would have just walked away and later sent a letter of complaint).

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I would have taken his name and reported him to his superior. They are just as accountable as a cashier at Wal-Mart and they are not actively encouraged to be rude.

They cannot affect your case either, so don't be scared on that front. ;)

Timeline

I'd do all the complaining after you are done with everything. I know what you are saying Mags, but I wouldn't want to rock the boat on an already stressful journey.

I-129F

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I hate when people are rude for no reason. Some people are just naturally mean. Sorry he ruined your day:(.

5/11/2007 - Submitted I-129F

5/14/2007 - Packet Received by USCIS

5/21/2007 - Received NOA1

7/11/2007 - Ordered Police Certificate

8/16/2007 - Received Police Certificate

8/23/2007 - Received NOA2 Email Confirmation

8/30/2007 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

9/4/2007 - Received NVC Letter

9/10/2007 - Packet 3 Received

9/24/2007 - Packet 3 Returned

10/7/2007 - Medical Interview - London

11/6/2007 - Interview - PASSED!

11/13/2007 - Passport Returned

11/18/2007 - Coming Home for Good

11/19/2007 - Had trouble at the aiport...NOW coming home for good.

12/18/2007 - Applied for Social Security Card

12/27/2007 - Received Social Security Card

2/05/2008 - Getting Married!

2/18/2008 - Submitted AOS packet

2/26/2008 - NOA for I-485, I-I-765, and I-131

2/28/2008 - Received ASC Appointment Notice

3/12/2008 - Biometric Appointment

3/13/2008 - RFE for I-485

3/24/2008 - Submitted Evidence

5/2/2008 - I-485 Transfer Notice - sent to CA center

7/17/2008 - Received EAD

I can remember only three different times when officers were nice and treated me with a respect. Rest of them (and I have dealet with them for almost eight years!) were just insecure jerks which showed me a power for no reason. Guys, they get paid from OUR money, 99% of they salaries comes from OUR fees, plus, we pay taxes! I was brave enough to tell interviewing officer what he didn`t expect after treating me horrible, and guess what-he is still in the game making my life without a desicion on my case for the past three years. To be an officer, you actually don`t have to have an education or to be clever; even for ajudicational officer to be accepted for the position is enough to be able to write decent paragraphs with minimal grammar mistakes (I checked USCIS job offers-was in shock)-we can all do that, and most of us (and, I speak for myself, too) are much educated than them, it must pissed them off. Most of them are bunch of loosers who get federal benefits and salary from our pocket.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.