kc&steph

Possible to use I-134 joint sponsor at Bangkok Consulate

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi, so I am the beneficiary and my sponsor is supposed to be my fiance. My fiance runs his own business slash social enterprise (LLC) and sales was hit quite bad by COVID. It was already in debt before because it's only a few years old. Anyway, his tax consultant did the figures and he just told me that his adjusted gross income is -26,000. 😭  Our lawyer in the US thinks that we should just file a joint sponsor and it will be fine. My fiance concurs.

We have come so far, though, and I have also read that some consulates don't allow for joint sponsors for the K1. Mind you, I'm not a Thai national but am a foreigner working here so I don't know if they might take my nationality and job prospects into account. We do have savings, but our savings doesn't amount to 5 x 22000 = $ 110,000 to prove. Much less so if it has to cover the -26,000. 

We are both in our 30s and he has a Master's while I'm working on mine so I am hoping that will also show that I am not going to be a public charge (although with the new administration, I'm not quite sure how that works.) Has anyone used a joint sponsor for the Bangkok consulate? Should we just try to borrow some money from family as an early inheritance thing in order to make our cash assets work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 🙏🙏

Timeline

I have never heard that the Thai embassy would not allow for a joint sponsor, in fact I've never heard that any embassy wouldn't allow joint sponsors.  

Forget about borrowing money, a large single deposit into your account doesn't look good and could also look deceitful.  If you still don't feel you have a strong financial case then you should do a joint sponsor, and be fully aware of all the responsibilities and liabilities that will be imposed on the person who sponsors you.

By the way, the embassy is extremely responsive via e-mail, they might directly answer if they consider joint sponsors; though it is possible they will reply with a very generic statement such as "We recommend to follow the instructions in I-134 and cannot comment on financial situations prior to the interview" 🙄

Timeline
On 5/8/2021 at 11:31 PM, J+J said:

I have never heard that the Thai embassy would not allow for a joint sponsor, in fact I've never heard that any embassy wouldn't allow joint sponsors.  

Forget about borrowing money, a large single deposit into your account doesn't look good and could also look deceitful.  If you still don't feel you have a strong financial case then you should do a joint sponsor, and be fully aware of all the responsibilities and liabilities that will be imposed on the person who sponsors you.

By the way, the embassy is extremely responsive via e-mail, they might directly answer if they consider joint sponsors; though it is possible they will reply with a very generic statement such as "We recommend to follow the instructions in I-134 and cannot comment on financial situations prior to the interview" 🙄

Thank you so much! I honestly panicked quite a bit when I read that somewhere... I think it was rapidvisa. Anyway, I still have quite a bit of waiting time still so will just gather paperwork together. We have a joint sponsor in mind already, but we just wanted our case to be as strong as possible. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.