tweety

DL renewal

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi all,

I just went to get my soon to expire DL renewed and ran into an unexpected problem.

I went to the tag office that had my DL issued and they told me since my driver's license was issued using an INS document I will have to go see the driving instructor again. :huh:

I've explained the lady that I already got the resident card, but still she wants me to go back to the

driving instructor and also told me that I might have to do this every time I renew my license.

Needless to say the instructor wasn't available anymore today, so I can waste another day tomorrow...

What I'm wondering though is if this is normal, or if this problem originates in local lack of knowledge....

This was in Oklahoma btw.

Oh well, hope someone can enlighten me.

Thanks.

:) Tanja

animal-smiley-085.gif

Mar 06, 2007: mailed I751!

Mar 09, 2007: I751 arrived at TSC

Mar 13, 2007: checks cleared bank

Mar 24, 2007: biometrics receipt dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: NOA1 dated Mar 09

Mar 28, 2007: biometrics letter dated Mar 22

Apr 06, 2007: biometrics appointment

(Oct 09, 2007: called USCIS: service request sent to TSC)

Jan 31, 2008: case transferred to VSC (last touch date changed from 04/07/07 to 02/01/08)

Feb 01, 2008: touch

Feb 04, 2008: touch

(Feb 05, 2008: infopass appointment)

Feb 07, 2008: transfer notice dated Feb 01, 08

Feb 13, 2008: touch (Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.)

Feb 25, 2008: touch

Apr 11, 2008: approval email! (only took 1 year, 34 days!)

Apr 13, 2008: 2 more approval emails

Apr 16, 2008: email notice: "Approval notice sent"

Apr 18, 2008: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!! card received!

tumbleweed-1.gif

04/22/2010 N400 mailed

05/05/2010 check cashed

05/07/2010 NOA1 dated 05/04/2010

Timeline

Just looked at the OK driving manual again. Obviously they changed a few things in their new issue (Sep 2005).

For everyone else that's interested here's the important passage:

"LICENSE EXPIRATION AND RENEWAL

Your license is issued for four years from the month in which you paid your fee and received your license. It expires the last day of the month. You can renew it up to six months before the expiration date. For example, if you received your license in June 2002, the expiration date shown on the license will be 6/06, meaning it will expire at midnight, June 30, 2006. You may renew it any time between January 1 and June 30, 2006.

(Exception: All aliens must appear before a driver license examiner for an original, renewal, or replacement driver license. They must show all immigration documents each time they appear. The expiration of the license will coincide with the dates of the immigration documents.

You must renew your license in person at a tag agency. You can renew by mail if you are out of the state at the time of expiration. Military personnel stationed outside the continental U.S. do not have to renew until 60 days after they return to the U.S., but they may renew by mail if they wish."

(source: http://www.dps.state.ok.us/dls/pub/ODM9-05.pdf )

Anyway, what it will mean is that I will probably be without a valid driver's license whenever I apply for removal of conditions in case USCIS doesn't process my case fast enough before my current resident card expires and thus my driver's license, too. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Oh well, for everyone else that got a license beyond their immigration docs' validity - regard yourselves lucky.

@Reinhard: Job search's on hold right now, as we are looking into starting up our own business.

Hey, and congrats on becoming a Dad soon.

Cheers, Tanja

animal-smiley-085.gif

Jan 31, 2008: case transferred to VSC (last touch date changed from 04/07/07 to 02/01/08)

Feb 13, 2008: touch (Current Status: This case is now pending at the office to which it was transferred.)

tumbleweed-1.gif

04/22/2010 N400 mailed

05/05/2010 check cashed

My DL was issued in Colorado last June and I showed them my SSN and my EAD...they issued my license for the duration of my EAD, so it expires in May (only valid for 11 months).

I now have my GC, so will have to see what happens in May when I have to renew....can't wait :wacko:

Jen

Removing of Conditions Timeline

05/29/2007 - Sent package to NSC

05/31/2007 - Package received by NSC

06/01/2007 - Date on NOA (1 day after they received our package!)

06/11/2007 - NOA and Biometrics notice received via snail-mail

06/21/2007 - Biometrics taken

04/03/2008 - Transferred to CSC

05/14/2008 - Approved (notified via email)

05/21/2008 - Card received

Good thing for you guys that you already have your liscense but in my case I haven't got my DL (card) yet, I passed the behind the wheel test for the first try last January 5 but they hadn't issue me yet the actual card and it's been almost a month now, wonderi'n why it took so long when they already updated my status(k3 to LPR) and everything :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: ... just great!!! my interim DL will expire next month :angry:

Anyway, what it will mean is that I will probably be without a valid driver's license whenever I apply for removal of conditions in case USCIS doesn't process my case fast enough before my current resident card expires and thus my driver's license, too. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Tanya...I'm under the impression that once you apply to remove the conditions on your green card 3 months before it is due to expire, that generally USCIS sends you a letter that extends the validity of your green card for one extra year before your green card expires, no? I would think that then you'd simply have to bring your green card with that letter of extension to the DMV and they'd issue your license for another year at least? It sucks having to do it all over yet again but better than not having a license. :yes:

Edited by Sharon

smilie_s.gifsmilie_h.gifsmilie_a.gifsmilie_r.gifsmilie_o.gifsmilie_n.gif

"Life is not measured by how many breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away"

Timeline

Tanya...I'm under the impression that once you apply to remove the conditions on your green card 3 months before it is due to expire, that generally USCIS sends you a letter that extends the validity of your green card for one extra year before your green card expires, no? I would think that then you'd simply have to bring your green card with that letter of extension to the DMV and they'd issue your license for another year at least? It sucks having to do it all over yet again but better than not having a license. :yes:

Sharon, I hope it will work out this way. But I just have a bad feeling about it, because that driving instructor basically was already a **** whenever I first got my license last year and he made us call numerous times to check on his availability and if he felt like working that day, as well made us go to his office a total of 5 times.... so it wouldn't surprise me if he would refuse to issue me a DL based on a letter.

Tanja

Edited by tweety

animal-smiley-085.gif

tumbleweed-1.gif

04/22/2010 N400 mailed

05/05/2010 check cashed

I was looking up stuffto do with licenses in NC as this post got me thinking and I found a 'driving school' link hich I clicked on thinking 'ooh yeah that would help me being a brand new driver'..and I find it doesnt consists of any actual DRIVING - just tests...

Is it just me or is that..weird?

I thought, silly me, that a driving schoool might actually require you to DRIVE...

Applied for K1

Met online 2001 - just aquaintances

Sept 2002 - 1st US visit - everything goes perfectly.

Dec 20th - Forms recev'd at CSC

Dec 27th - NOA1 received by snail mail!

Dec 29th - 'Touched'

March 10 2006 - NOA2!

March 23 - recv'd at NVC

March 24 - petition sent to London

April 9th - Pkt 3 rec'd!

May 17th - Pkt 3 signed for at London Embassy

May 24th - Medical

May24th - Pkt 4

June 14th - Interview 10am - APPROVED 1pm!!

June 16th - Visas received in my hot little hands 1pm :)

July 19th - flying to US!

July 27th - Married!! :-)

Aug 7th - Applied for SSN in married name

Aug 9th - SSN received

uk.gif1273.gifusa.gif

3dflagsdotcom_uk_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

I'm not a lawyer I just have opinions on everything :)

animated flags from http://3dflags.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.