MexicoExpat

Average processing time for SSN in 2021?

5 posts in this topic

My wife is set to enter the US this week, and we are quickly realizing that the SSN is going to be the real key to truly starting her new life. 

She'll need it to get her license and to be able to get a job (technically can work without it but most employers will want it).

For a couple of reasons, we need to get a jump on her being able to get a license, buy and register a car ASAP. 

Can anyone share their experience of how long it's currently taking now for new entries? We checked the box on the DS-260. 

I'm seeing a lot of reports on here about delays, but of course a sub-forum topic like this will have more people reporting about SSN delays than them arriving on time.

We'll also need to take a 1 month trip outside the US around 5 weeks after arriving - so reading about people having to set up  in-person interviews is not reassuring - even worse with people saying they need to mail in their original passport. That would be her only form of ID and proof of legal residence in the US, we're not sending the orignal anywhere; 

30 minutes ago, MexicoExpat said:

(technically can work without it but most employers will want it).

Even if an employer uses E-verify she should still be able to start employment: https://www.e-verify.gov/faq/my-employee-applied-for-a-social-security-number-ssn-but-has-not-yet-received-it-what-should-i "If a newly hired employee has applied for, but has not yet received his or her SSN (e.g., the employee is a newly arrived immigrant), attach an explanation to the employee’s Form I-9 and set it aside. Then create a case in E-Verify using the employee’s SSN as soon as it is available. If you are unable to create a case by the third business day after the employee’s first day of employment, select Awaiting Social Security number when prompted by E-Verify."

19 hours ago, HRQX said:

Even if an employer uses E-verify she should still be able to start employment: https://www.e-verify.gov/faq/my-employee-applied-for-a-social-security-number-ssn-but-has-not-yet-received-it-what-should-i "If a newly hired employee has applied for, but has not yet received his or her SSN (e.g., the employee is a newly arrived immigrant), attach an explanation to the employee’s Form I-9 and set it aside. Then create a case in E-Verify using the employee’s SSN as soon as it is available. If you are unable to create a case by the third business day after the employee’s first day of employment, select Awaiting Social Security number when prompted by E-Verify."

Wouldn't it still be an issue for her to get paid? She can work, but not get paid without a SSN, correct? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi, I entered on Dec 18 last year and waited a month and no SSN. Thought maybe COVID delays or Christmas holidays since offices are closed so waited another 2 weeks, then called to check. Officer took my details and said we will call you back, don’t call back until after A MONTH. Fast forward, no contact after a month, I called back. Apparently no record of anything done, person on phone asks for details of visa etc, I said IR-1 and person on the line says ‘not eligible to work on it’.. I insisted I was eligible for SSN and officer on previous call told me to wait a month, so he says I will check and get back to you because the officer in charge was having an interview or something... AGAIN no call back, at this point I’m feeling frustrated and unsure if I need to wait again before calling. Received my green card in the mail a week or two ago but was busy so only called again yesterday and... the moment the person on the phone heard I have my green card in hand but no SSN they seemed to genuinely check and found out no records whatsoever for me (without taking any info? ) and  immediately made an appointment for next available slot at my local office for me asking me to bring in the documents with me (April 7th in my case). 

it feels like my local office has phone calls sent to a customer service department or something where they don’t want to set appointment unless they know for sure you’re eligible for SSN (but they don’t seem knowledgeable enough about visa types etc.) 

It was weird. 

So SSN right now is call and hope you get someone willing to schedule an appointment or get you to send documents in I guess? Might vary based on your local office. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.