ToniNiki

N400 3 months since interview, still placed in line for Oath Ceremony

8 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. Just want to see if anyone else is experiencing huge delays getting their Oath ceremony scheduled. 

I had my combo interview for Removal of Conditions on a Green card and Naturalization under 3 years rule back in December 2020 and I am still in line for Oath ceremony according to USCIS portal.

My local office is Charleston, SC. My 10 year green card got approved 2 weeks after the combo interview but seems like N400 got stuck in the mud. 

Please share your experiences. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Are you doing 

43 minutes ago, ToniNiki said:

My local office is Charleston, SC. My 10 year green card got approved 2 weeks after the combo interview but seems like N400 got stuck in the mud. 

Are you doing a name change?

Just now, Mike E said:

Are you doing 

Are you doing a name change?

Yes, I am taking my husband`s surname, which does not require judge I believe. But even if I needed to have a judge perform the Oath Ceremony 3 months looks a little too long.

Timeline
1 minute ago, ToniNiki said:

Yes, I am taking my husband`s surname, which does not require judge I believe. But even if I needed to have a judge perform the Oath Ceremony 3 months looks a little too long.

AFAIK, changing your name from that of your birth certificate to a different one on your naturalization certificate will result in delays, and even before the pandemic, 3 months was not unheard of.

FYI, if your gender is female, in every state of the Union, a wife has the right to change to name to her spouse's surname any time she wants. An original marriage certificate is a legal change of name document.

Not all states extend this right to husbands taking the name of their spouse.

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

AFAIK, changing your name from that of your birth certificate to a different one on your naturalization certificate will result in delays, and even before the pandemic, 3 months was not unheard of.

FYI, if your gender is female, in every state of the Union, a wife has the right to change to name to her spouse's surname any time she wants. An original marriage certificate is a legal change of name document.

Not all states extend this right to husbands taking the name of their spouse.

Yes, I am a female, so I thought they would not require a judge to change my surname. In our marriage certificate we left ours untouched but only because we got married on a tiny island and it would be a hell of a mess to change my surname then.

Timeline
1 hour ago, ToniNiki said:

Yes, I am a female, so I thought they would not require a judge to change my surname. In our marriage certificate we left ours untouched but only because we got married on a tiny island and it would be a hell of a mess to change my surname then.

The name on your marriage certificate doesn’t have any impact on your ability to take your spouse’s surname.  

7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The name on your marriage certificate doesn’t have any impact on your ability to take your spouse’s surname.  

Exactly, so my point is that my name change does not require a judge and should not delay Oath ceremony.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.