Anna C.

Where to find jobs?

53 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I've had outstanding luck with my job search. I wrote my resume 13 days ago and I already have a job offer for $80k and probably another on the way. I applied to 7 positions and had 3 interviews. I'm having to beat off recruiters with a stick. I posted my resume on www.computerjobs.com and www.dice.com. I didn't even look at monster.com or hotjobs.com. There's a lot of duplication on those sites and since I'm in IT I felt computerjobs.com and dice.com were better bets since they're focused on my industry.

This is pretty much my shortest job search ever. I had heard that the job market in Dallas was really good, but I wasn't expecting this; this is like dot.com days. Not complaining at all!

I decided to only apply for SQL developer jobs since that's what I really want to do; I only have 1.5 years of professional experience doing it but from what I understand those skills are in extremely short supply. I was shocked; I didn't think what I did was all that difficult or unusual. I thought I'd widen my job search to SQL and SQA (I did SQA for 7 years prior to switching to SQL) if I was still looking in 2-3 months but as it turns out that most likely won't be necessary.

Woo, I'm liking this!

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

IT and computer is a job market that is easy for aliens! I just got a well paid job with an internet company. They even love the fact that I am not American since they are looking for diversity as well as for a person who is able to speak German and French since they just expanded to those countries.

Before that, I sent my applications mainly to non-profit organizations, at one I was referred. I never got an answer there, but I know through my referral person that I was the most qualified applicant (all other applicants where just out of college, no experience, just BAs) and that the reason I wasn't contacted was me being not American. They want Americans only. I really don't care anymore know since I got my job... But I generally think computer jobs/ IT/ science is way less biased towards international coworkers.

Btw... All employers knew I was living in the Bay Area. So no "local"-BS. Some people just don't want to work with aliens, no matter where they are from. Concerning Yahoo and Monster: forget it! They only post crappy jobs anyway (in may area though). I contacted companies directly through their website and that's how I made it. The best is that I only have to drive 2 miles to work :) :) :)

Edited by Anna C.

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

In the immigrant community everyone and his uncle seems to be in IT. I was thinking of getting in that field too, but I'm not 18 any more to just go for a college degree in something so different from what I do and totally unfamiliar to me. I guess I will continue doing what I'm doing, go for my Master's and make connections. This is one thing that seems to work.

and that the reason I wasn't contacted was me being not American. They want Americans only.

Can you please PM me and let me know what company it was, so I don't accidentally apply for jobs there?

And I would love to get this company in trouble :devil:

Filed AOS from F-1
Green Card approved on 01/04/07
Conditions removed 01/29/09

Citizenship Oath 08/23/12

IT and computer is a job market that is easy for aliens! I just got a well paid job with an internet company. They even love the fact that I am not American since they are looking for diversity as well as for a person who is able to speak German and French since they just expanded to those countries.

Before that, I sent my applications mainly to non-profit organizations, at one I was referred. I never got an answer there, but I know through my referral person that I was the most qualified applicant (all other applicants where just out of college, no experience, just BAs) and that the reason I wasn't contacted was me being not American. They want Americans only. I really don't care anymore know since I got my job... But I generally think computer jobs/ IT/ science is way less biased towards international coworkers.

Btw... All employers knew I was living in the Bay Area. So no "local"-BS. Some people just don't want to work with aliens, no matter where they are from. Concerning Yahoo and Monster: forget it! They only post crappy jobs anyway (in may area though). I contacted companies directly through their website and that's how I made it. The best is that I only have to drive 2 miles to work :) :) :)

I'm not an alien though; I'm American. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Timeline

Sorry homesick, I forgot that you are the American spouse ;) No alien-troubles for you then! Just noticed I was quite too much in the sun yesterday, gosh my spelling was awful (though my dear hubby was behind me like: hurry up, can we goooooo????) :P

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

Removal of conditions

Citizenship

Done!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Anna C.,

I'm so happy to hear that you've found such a good job! I agree with you that no matter how qualified you are for a certain job, some companies (Maybe not IT/ Engineering field) just don't want to consider you when you're not local. You know I have sent many resumes to different kinds of jobs but I just don't hear any response from most of them. I'd think that they prefer to hire someone with local working experience.

Jewel 12,

I'm also not young anymore that's why I don't want to study to change field. I know IT is so popular around here but I really don't feel like I can start all over to study 5 years to enter the field. You know I'm just thinking to get a job now... whatever job... but even so, the US locals here just don't want to give me a chance... :(

Hi,

I'm curious too. I'm also from the Bay area (San Jose). But I've started to find jobs really hard since April this year (I got my green card in Dec last year). You know I have tried all but I didn't even get much response.

I've posted my resume on Yahoo hot jobs, careerbuilder, monster and bajobs. but only a few employers approached me after they read my resume on careerbuilder.com. I never got any response from any other websites. I've to say though, all these jobs are sales related or insurance agents, or some weird jobs that I don't think I'm suitable even I go to their interviews.

I'm really lost now and feel unhappy. My husband told me many companies' entry level posts are filled by internal referral. So far I only got one interview cuz my husband's co-worker referred me to that company. But then they wanted me to work in the sales department and do cold-calling, which is imossible for me. You should be able to tell that English is not even my native language!

Worse still, I don't think I can work in the same field as I did in my own country. I was an English teacher in Hong Kong and have a Bachelor and MA degrees. I also had one year of office admin experience in HK. But even so and I'm now only finding some office assistants, sales or teaching assistants jobs (for private schools only cuz I don't have the ECE units), no employers even considered me. I only got 3 responses so far. But one cancelled the interview before she even sees me! then the other one, the manager at last told me 'we have too many applicants'... so i only went to ONE interview so far. sigh... it's like they don't even want to schedule an interview for me.

and yes, craigslist is more down-to-earth, but what one of the members said was right, there're far too many people finding jobs there. The one which the manager told me they have too many applicants and can't schedule me an interview, i found that post in craigslist and they just posted for one day. Besides, I think that since there're not too many Non-IT/ Engineering posts here, so once there's one 'normal' job, millions of people will apply- I really wonder when I can find a job. Or what I should do now...

Sorry for my long post... just wanna share with you my job hunting experience. Hope someone can give me or someone with the same situation some light of what we should do now.

Hey Sleepybears!

I'm in the Bay Area as well and I used to teach English (and sciences) back in Canada. I've been looking into different teaching credential programs, but it makes me want to cry... it's a long, long process with tons of hoops to jump through no matter which route you take. Right now I'm working as a Special Ed teaching assistant. I love my job, but it doesn't pay nearly enough. I found my job on a local school district's website, but I'd first learned through Craigslist that this district was hiring!

There's a high demand for SAT tutors (the jobs pay very well!), but since I have never taken SATs, I'm not well-qualified for the jobs :(

btw, have you been back to HK since you arrived here? I was born in HK, but immigrated to Canada when I was a little kid :)

There's a high demand for SAT tutors (the jobs pay very well!), but since I have never taken SATs, I'm not well-qualified for the jobs :(

Have people told you that? The Americans that have taken the SAT usually haven't taken it more than once or twice and it has changed enormously since then anyway. It's only a standardized test and not even a difficult one at that...the math on it is incredibly easy. I took the SAT most recently in 1992 and haven't seen it since then; I doubt I'm more qualified to tutor for the SAT than you are just because I took it 15 years ago. Keep trying!

Timeline

Can't you take a, let's say a GRE prep class, then you definitely have all the skills to prep kids for their SATs.

Edited by Anna C.

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

Removal of conditions

Citizenship

Done!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

If you find it hard getting a job I would register with a temp agency, my wife registered there got work a few days a week and within a month had an interview and accepted a full time job that she got through the temp agency.

Sent AOS, EAD - 3/27/07

NOA1 for AOS and EAD - 4/03/07

Checks cashed - 4/04/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/06/07

touched AOS and EAD - 04/09/07

RFE for AOS - 04/26/07

return RFE - 06/20/07

EAD approved - 07/07/07

AOS transfered to CSC - 07/10/07

AOS approved - 08/10/07

Welcome letter arrived - 08/18/07

Green card arrive - 08/18/07

Apply for stolen green card 07/12/09

Apply for I-751 09/31/09

I-751 rejected due to late filling

Resubmit with a letter explaining tardiness 10/01/09

NOA1 - 10/17/09

No BioMetrics

Approval 12/4/09

Have people told you that? The Americans that have taken the SAT usually haven't taken it more than once or twice and it has changed enormously since then anyway. It's only a standardized test and not even a difficult one at that...the math on it is incredibly easy. I took the SAT most recently in 1992 and haven't seen it since then; I doubt I'm more qualified to tutor for the SAT than you are just because I took it 15 years ago. Keep trying!

The SAT tutoring places I've checked out all want proof of my SAT scores. I'll keep looking, as tutoring is a pretty flexible and lucrative job option :) In the meantime, I'm loving my Spec Ed teaching assistant job.

Can't you take a, let's say a GRE prep class, then you definitely have all the skills to prep kids for their SATs.

Possibly, but the tutoring places I've looked into all want proof of my SAT scores.

The SAT tutoring places I've checked out all want proof of my SAT scores. I'll keep looking, as tutoring is a pretty flexible and lucrative job option :) In the meantime, I'm loving my Spec Ed teaching assistant job.

Possibly, but the tutoring places I've looked into all want proof of my SAT scores.

So take the SAT. It's offered several times a year...the next test is in October. :thumbs:

So take the SAT. It's offered several times a year...the next test is in October. :thumbs:

Ummm... well, I already have a job, albeit one that doesn't pay overly well in monetary terms. I'm not the OP who's looking for a job, so I'm not sure why everyone's telling me to get an SAT tutoring job? :blink:

I'm actually planning on taking the CBEST in Oct/Nov so I'd be eligible for substitute teaching as well as teaching credential programs in the future... just in case I get sick of my present job.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

echomyst,

Hey so you were born in HK? heehee then do you know how to speak Cantonese? I have never been back to HK since I came here. I may go back X'mas this year. Let's see...

it's good to hear that you have found a TA job! you know i want to be a TA too! but I didnt see a lot of TA Jobs. I saw a few on Craigslist and sent my resume to them, but I got no response! Do you know where else I can find such kind of jobs?

you know I also think that getting a teaching credential here is such a long process. So I don't think I'll ever start all over and study for that again. Besides I don't even know what subject I can teach here. I taught English in HK and English is my second language. So I really don't think I can teach English here... sigh...

I thought about teaching in a pre-school here as it seems that the Early Childhood Education course is not as long. I however don't know if I really can handle small kids. I'm also not sure if I can find a job after studying. I saw a TA post in a pre-school few months ago and applied. At first I was told to go to the interview but it was later cancelled... :( I also applied some TA posts in some elementary schools but again no resonse. You know it's not a high-paid job but still people just don't consider me.... well maybe they think I don't have local experience and English is not my native language? Also I see that some schools require TAs to have credential/ ECE units too... :(

And you talked about being a SAT tutor? You know after I posted my resume online, a few tutorial centres sent me emails too... but the same as you, I haven't taken any SAT exams and I don't think I'm qualified.

Right now I'm just selling stuff online to earn a little bit money. Sometimes I really want to give up finding job cuz it seems to be impossible. For whatever job I applied, I just got no response or rejected...

Seriously people, you really should get in contact with all of the Universities and colleges. Just as an example: there are SO MANY JOBS at UC Berkeley - I just had a look at their own job search database and there are loads and loads - everything from events to athletics to HR to Finance to Admin to IT to security. LOADS.

If you are a little bit flexible, I am sure you will find something. It's well paid (even the lower level assistant type jobs), the benefits are great, AND universities have so many options for meeting new people, training, community events.

That, and the transportation to them is usually excellent - they will generally have a BART station close by or at the very least regular buses.

Another thing, in your resume try to use action words - if you were a teacher for instance there are plenty of ways to apply those skills to other non teaching jobs, you just need to be flexible, adapt your resume to the position, and make follow up phone calls.

Until that happens, I strongly suggest getting a volunteer position somewhere - it will give you US character references and something US based to add. It's also a great way to meet people who may be able to put you in contact with work opportunities.

speaking of job i got a call from a community which is i am very interested to work with. they we're looking for a bookkeeper. they want me to come to there office the other day for an interview...they offer a good salary like 15 to 16 bucks an hour. i found this job in one of the local website in our area. the result of the interview was very possitve the only thing is... i am committed to watch my daughter and step son for the whole month of august and they want me to work right away. child care center in our area are occupied now. i am only 4 months in this country and i thought the job interview here is very difficult like what we have in the philippines. anyway...they only asked me about my previous job experiences. i have a 10year work experience as a bookkeeper in one of the biggest company in our country. we are almost done to get the license of our child care business but i want to work in the office....lol :blush: ..i got bored in the house. what you think my fellow vj's?...what good decesion to take a child care or office job???....i am not yet decided what to do. :wacko: for now i have our 2 kids to watch but by september they gonna be in school and i dont have a call yet from other parents. ooohhhh...i dont want to stay again in the house alone this coming september it makes me crazy.....

jazzy

4-26-06 Married Cebu, Philippines

I-130 (wife & step daughter)

5-05-06 sent

5-08-06 received

5-20-06 Noa#1 (notice date)

5-25-06 Noa#1 (mail recieved)

5-31-06 (touched)

7-12-06 (touched) received email....cases transfered to CSC

7-13-06 (touched)

7-17-06 received NOA in mail (transfer notice)

7-19-06 CSC received petitions

7-20-06 (touched)

7-21-06 (touched)

7-22-06 (touched)

8-03-06 APPROVED (via email)

8-04-06 (touched)

8-06-06 (touched)

8-08-06 received NOA#2 in mail(sent to NVC)

NVC

8-17-06 NVC received and assigned case #s

8-28-06 ds-3032 and aos bill generated (sent out same day)

9-06-06 ds-3032 accepted (email) - resent for cr-2

9-18-06 IV bills received and express mailed

9-20-06 received AOS in mail

9-21-06 AOS sent

9-23-06 (touched)...weird

9-25-06 ds-230 generated

9-30-06 ds-230 received in mail

10-3-06 ds-230 mailed to nvc

10-17-06 CASE COMPLETE!!!

12-26-06 Case sent to manila

12-30-06 Rececieved Packet 4

2-01-07 St. Lukes complete

2-8-07 INTERVIEW!!!!!! AR-need to submit photos of step daughter

2-10-07 Mailed photos to embassy

2-13-07 Photos arrive at embassy

2-21-07 Photos made it out of mail room to case worker!!

3-07-07 Delbros text...VISAS released from embassy

3-09-07 VISAS IN HAND!!!!!!!!

3-29-07 Arrived in Newark (POE)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.