monnik

Arabic for Non-native Speakers

20 posts in this topic

So, I thought I would ask for help from anyone who is learning or has learned Arabic.

Some of the things I struggle with are:

Pronouncing the ح - the sound doesn't really exist in English, but does anyone have any pointers for learning this sound?

The imaginary ّ ٍ ِ ْ ً َ ٌ - I mean, I have no trouble using them when I see them, but most of the time, they are not written. Anyone have a trick for memorizing certain words or patterns?

All of the different verb tenses - Masc, fem, etc. There are so many different forms of one word, that if I haven't heard the word 100 times, I will more than likely screw it up. Does anyone have any good learning techniques?

I guess it's just the nerd in me that wants to be able to read, write, spell, and speak the language. I speak Spanish, and I know that native speakers are pleased if you at least attempt to speak their language. But, I would like to be a good student.

Besides, I know that one letter or sound can make ALL the difference between two words. I want to keep my embarassing mistakes to a minimum, and I would love to hear other people's language-learning processes.

Nicole ** just a side note about language/Arabic, my name is Niki, but my name was changed when I met my husband because of the naughty word that my name sounds like - I have never been called Nicole before, and I'm still getting used to it **

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

i have a really hard time with that sound too. abdou always laughs at me when i try to pronounce certain words. we have good fun with him teaching me! i hope to be fluent someday as well..but first we're mostly working on him being more fluent in english.

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

i have a really hard time with that sound too. abdou always laughs at me when i try to pronounce certain words. we have good fun with him teaching me! i hope to be fluent someday as well..but first we're mostly working on him being more fluent in english.

Good luck to both of you. It's always fun to learn new things. I think it's humbling, actually. I mean, for both my husband and I, we were both straight A students and never had problems learning anything. But, our egos are brought down a couple of notches when it comes to the other person's language. He knows more English than I Arabic, but we are both learning so much everyday.

I can't say 7abibi, 7elwa, efta7, and many, many other words that contain the 7 sound. I wish it was easier. hehe

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

www.sparealife.org

www.freerice.com

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yeah, my husband laughs at me too trying to pronounce some of the harder words. But when I go and stay with his family, that is when I really learn so much.

I do have a funny story though...my husband has a speach impediment. He pronounces his "r"s funny. Well, all of the Arabic that he has taught me...I pronounce them the same way! So I have a speach impediment too...in ANOTHER LANGUAGE!!!! And as we teach our son, I guess he will have it too!!!!!

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

I am just trying to learn more as he is here to teach me. He is very reluctant as he wasn't me to teach him cos he says he really needs the english language more then i need arabic. I have a CD set that I have been using to learn to speak Instant Immersion Arabic that I bought from Amazon. I will try and find a way to send it for anyone if they would like to check it out. I also bought books to try and learn to write from Amazon and the dictionary which my husband loves. We went to sign him up for ESL classes yesterday and he has orientation on the 11th. He is really excited about this as he feels he needs to perfect the language so that he can have a great job.

Jul 20, 2006 Arrived in Amman, Jordan

Jul 24, 2006 Married in Amman, Jordan

Oct 11, 2006 I130 Approval Oct. 26, 2006 I129F Approval

Nov. 8, 2006 Recieved letter that I-129 was sent to Amman, Jordan

Dec 13, 2006 Recieved Package from Amman Embassy for K3 Intreview date Aug. 15,2007

Mar 05,2007 Embassy called interview scheduled for March 19th

Mar 19, 2007 Interview for K3- AP

May 20, 2007 Embassy called for Hasan to send in his passport!!!

May 24, 2007 Recieved Interview date of June 5th for CR1?

June 05, 2007 Interviewed and she said he was approved, kept passport and said will recieve in 4 days.

June 12, 2007 VISA IN HAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2007 Hasan arrived in the USA and so very happy!

June 26, 2007 Applied for SSN

July 06, 2007 SSN in hand

July 25, 2007 Green Card in Hand!

Aug 13, 2007 Behind the wheel test, Passed. Now has California DL

I-751

Mar 26, 2009 Sent in I-751

Mar 28, 2009 Proof received

April 1, 2009 check cashed

April 3, 2009 NOA Received

April 16,2009 received bio appt letter

April 24, 2009 Biometrics Appointment

June 6, 2009 Removal of Conditions Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 17, 2009 10 Year Green Card in hand!

Yeah, my husband laughs at me too trying to pronounce some of the harder words. But when I go and stay with his family, that is when I really learn so much.

I do have a funny story though...my husband has a speach impediment. He pronounces his "r"s funny. Well, all of the Arabic that he has taught me...I pronounce them the same way! So I have a speach impediment too...in ANOTHER LANGUAGE!!!! And as we teach our son, I guess he will have it too!!!!!

That sounds so cute!

My husband's little brother has a pretty serious speech problem that he was born with (along with other problems, but I don't know the actual medical terms) and I have had to learn some of his *unique* language also.

Some examples: he says "daad" for "begad", he says "fe haga la" instead of "mafesh haga", he says " bu tez" that means " abu kersh" (nickname for friend w/big belly hehhe)

So, I am learning a language and a half right now. But, I enjoy every minute of it. :thumbs:

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.freerice.com

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I have that Rosetta Stone cd but I rarely use it. It was fun at first but now it's hard and so I gave up. :( I guess if I were that motivated it would be great 'cause you can record your voice and hear how similar/dissimilar it is to what it's supposed to be. Thing is even when I get some of the words down my husband can't understand me 'cause of my Boston accent. :unsure:

On the flip side he's learned some lingo from me and it cracks me up when he says things like, "okie-dokie", or "wicked pissa". :lol::lol:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I've tried books and CDs too...but I just don't learn like I do when I'm actually there visiting.

My husband had actually been here for a couple of years before I met him, so his English was pretty good. But when I started saying things like "quit pulling my leg" or "quit blowing smoke up my a$$"...he was like...what in the he ll are you talking about????

Another time he heard me say something about someone not being a spring chicken, and I had to explain that. Too funny!

And off the topic of language....

We had a possum that had taken up residence in the outbuilding in the back yard. Well, Hicham had never seen a possum before. He thought it was the largest rat he'd ever seen. He's very superstitious abour rats too. Anyway, I've never heard him yell like he did when he say that possum for the first time. He was freaking out! I was laughing so hard that I couldn't catch my breath to tell him that it wasn't a rat....

Had to explain what a racoon was too when he saw it for the first time.

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

Filed: Timeline

My problem with the vowel marks above the letters, it that it is not always the same sound. I can't think up any examples because I'm always confused when I see it. Maybe my problem is the way the books try to help you sound it out by writing it in roman letters - you know how there can be several ways to write an arabic word in roman letters.

My other issue with arabic books is there are not enough exercises. And too many words thrown at you in one chapter, and some of them are not used in the exercises. Independant memorization is like walking thru quicksand. It helps me when all the words are used in the exercises.

Real immersion is better, being there or talking with native speakers, just picking up words here and there and starting to piece them together. Then maybe using a book to aid understanding small points.

BT

If I cause offense it is not on purpose, think about that before you take offense. If you feel offended, consider that maybe I'm not talking about you and maybe I accidentally stumbled onto a sore area and do not know. Thank you.

My problem with the vowel marks above the letters, it that it is not always the same sound. I can't think up any examples because I'm always confused when I see it. Maybe my problem is the way the books try to help you sound it out by writing it in roman letters - you know how there can be several ways to write an arabic word in roman letters.

My other issue with arabic books is there are not enough exercises. And too many words thrown at you in one chapter, and some of them are not used in the exercises. Independant memorization is like walking thru quicksand. It helps me when all the words are used in the exercises.

Real immersion is better, being there or talking with native speakers, just picking up words here and there and starting to piece them together. Then maybe using a book to aid understanding small points.

BT

I have a book that I downloaded from the internet, but my problem is I need to print it out to work really well on the exercises. That will be my next task. Because we don't have a printer at the house, I am always putting it off. The book that I have has a lot of exercises. It really helped me for the first 4 or 5 chapters (until they started taking off the stupid vowel marks, and then I got confused again). If anyone would like a copy of the book to print out for themselves, I can send it to you or put it on a file sharing site. And it's about 10MB in size, which is about the memory size of 2 or 3 songs.

Thanks for the stories. My inlaws make a big deal out of me speaking arabic. Even if I have said the word before, every time they hear it they laugh and have to take me from room to room to repeat it.

I would have to say immersion is the greatest tool. And, I have picked up on so much here. It has been 8 months of listening, learning, and practicing. I, myself, would just like a boost from an academic approach.

Did someone say they could send the tapes or audio? I would like to listen to that if it's possible.

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.freerice.com

I know how u feel, for a long time i could never say the "7" in words, but one day, everything just like rolled of my tongue, i thnk after hearing it for sooo long, u just pick it up....i have alot of arab people ask me now if i am half arab because they say i have a good accent, so i think with time it will just come, just keep practicing, i mean here i am 3 years later, and can hold a lengthy convo, and understan just about everything...

Filed DCF in Jordan from 7-05 to 3-06, Approved for I-R1.

Immigration Free until 2008.

Two Hearts, Two Different Places, Sharing One Dream

We were strangers~ Starting out on a journey~Never dreaming What we'd have to go through ~Now here we are ~ And I'm suddenly standing ~ At the beginning with you ~ No one told me I was going to find you ~ Unexpected ~ What you did to my heart ~ When I lost hope You were there to remind me ~ This is the start ~ Life is a road And I want to keep going ~ Love is a river I wanna keep flowing ~ Life is a road Now and forever ~ Wonderful journey ~ I'll be there When the world stops turning~ I'll be there When the storm is through ~ In the end I wanna be standing At the beginning with you~

.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I know more Egyptian Arabic phrases than Moroccan Arabic since I spend most of my day with an Egyptian(boss). It makes my husband hot under the collar!

1/17/07: Filed I130

1/26/07: NOA 1

4/9/07: NOA 2

5/22/07: Received DS3032/AOS bill

5/22/07 Sent choice of agent email

5/23/07: Paid AOS fee

6/7/07: Received IV bill

6/8/07: Paid IV bill

6/10/07: IV bill received by NVC

06/15/07: Sent I-864 Packet to NVC

6/28/07: Mailed DS230

7/16/07: Case complete!

Interview: 9/6/07@8:00 a.m.

9/7/07 Visa in hand!!

11/15/07: Green Card Arrives

DSC01907-1.jpg

I know more Egyptian Arabic phrases than Moroccan Arabic since I spend most of my day with an Egyptian(boss). It makes my husband hot under the collar!

Please share. If you don't mind. I would like to know new phrases. Do you know how to write them in arabic?

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.freerice.com

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.