koop

Bringing printouts of digital documents to interview?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi. My wife has her interview next week and we are preparing all of the documents requested, which isn't much. One thing that I'm wondering about is the request to bring originals of any copied documents submitted with the n400 application. Her n400 was submitted online so supporting documentation was uploaded digitally. And all of the documents, except for my passport and our marriage certificate were digital documents. For example, as proof that we are still in our marriage, one of the supporting documents I submitted were bank statements. Since we don't get statements in the mail but rather download them online, I downloaded the file on Chase's website and uploaded it. This was the case for our other documents (lease, car insurance, tax returns, etc.). Should I nonetheless print these out and then bring them to the interview or is it unnecessary because they already have it and there is no "original" of a digital document?

Also, if I should bring print-outs, should I bring up-to-date information? For example, should I bring bank statements that were recent instead of 1.5+ year old ones I initially submitted?

Obviously, I will be bringing the originals of the only 2 documents which were uploaded as copies: My passport and our marriage certificate. But these are also explicitly requested in the interview letter.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

2 hours ago, koop said:

Hi. My wife has her interview next week and we are preparing all of the documents requested, which isn't much. One thing that I'm wondering about is the request to bring originals of any copied documents submitted with the n400 application. Her n400 was submitted online so supporting documentation was uploaded digitally. And all of the documents, except for my passport and our marriage certificate were digital documents. For example, as proof that we are still in our marriage, one of the supporting documents I submitted were bank statements. Since we don't get statements in the mail but rather download them online, I downloaded the file on Chase's website and uploaded it. This was the case for our other documents (lease, car insurance, tax returns, etc.). Should I nonetheless print these out and then bring them to the interview or is it unnecessary because they already have it and there is no "original" of a digital document?

Also, if I should bring print-outs, should I bring up-to-date information? For example, should I bring bank statements that were recent instead of 1.5+ year old ones I initially submitted?

Obviously, I will be bringing the originals of the only 2 documents which were uploaded as copies: My passport and our marriage certificate. But these are also explicitly requested in the interview letter.

For my interview I took all the original documents I attached to my on line N-400 application. The interviewer didn't ask for anything but she took the tax transcripts. When I told her do you need to see my husband's birth certificate she said no need as we have everything on file.

The requirement to bring a copy and the original of any document, is a way for the USCIS to cover themselves. If something got lost, was misplaced or overlooked, they can simply state "we told you to bring the documents so we can look at them" instead of "we made a mistake". Second, the letter has not changed since they went from filing paper only to being able to file online. It's much easier to loose actual paperwork vs digital copies.

Most likely you will not be asked to show any piece of paperwork apart from the green card and your passport. But just to be on the safe side I recommend to bring any piece of paperwork you have gathered over the years.

On 1/3/2021 at 4:28 PM, koop said:

Bring whatever you attached to your application even if they were "digital documents". (almost) No one gets bank statements by mail now. In addition, you can bring newer bank statements with you as that can't hurt. But just hold on to the extra stuff until asked, or if you think that it can help make a stronger case. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.