Immi082020

Traffic Tickets N-400 - Please Suggest

7 posts in this topic

I am preparing for N-400 online, 5 Year eligibility, within 90 days early filing window. I have 4 traffic incidents, all of them are more than 10 years old. No DUI, No arrests, No injury to anyone. This is what I am planning:

Part 12, Q23: Have you EVER been arrested, cited, or detained by any law enforcement officer (including any immigration official or any official of the U.S. armed forces) for any reason? YES

And, answering 'NO' to all other questions 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28.

Then, I enter the following (words in bold) in Q29:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incident# 1

Why were you arrested, cited, detained, or charged? TRAFFIC TICKET FOR $100 FOR IMPROPER LANE CHANGE

Outcome or disposition of the arrest, citation, detention, or charge: PAID TRAFFIC TICKET FINE OF $100

Incident# 2

Why were you arrested, cited, detained, or charged? TRAFFIC TICKET FOR $150 FOR CARELESS DRIVING

Outcome or disposition of the arrest, citation, detention, or charge: PAID TRAFFIC TICKET FINE OF $150

Incident# 3

Why were you arrested, cited, detained, or charged? PARKING TICKET FOR $25

Outcome or disposition of the arrest, citation, detention, or charge: PAID PARKING TICKET OF $25

Incident# 4

Why were you arrested, cited, detained, or charged? MINOR TRAFFIC ACCIDENT

Outcome or disposition of the arrest, citation, detention, or charge: 3 SDIP POINTS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note, the incident #4 above was a fender bender, rear ending at low speed from stop and I was at fault. Since it was a minor accident and no one was injured, police was not called in the scene and the other drive and I just exchanged the insurance information. No police report was filed later either, however incident was reported by Insurance company to RMV later and the incident appears on my driving record as a "surchargeable accident". Other than 3 SDIP points, there was nothing else like fine or course to be taken etc. This incident happened more than 15 years ago. The SDIP points were also gone after 3 years.

My Questions:

(1) Do the above data entries into N-400 for all the 4 incidents look OK? Do I need to worry? Any suggestion to improve the statements into N-400?

(2) Since all the above incidents are below $500, no DUI, no arrest, no injury, I am planning to NOT upload any documents online for the incidents but will carry them whatever I have during the interview. Will this be OK?

(3) For Incident#4, I do not have any documentation because police was not called. I only have the driving record from RMV that shows the incident. Do I need to worry about this one particularly?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Timeline

STRAIGHT FROM THE INSTRUCTIONS:

NOTE: You must submit documentation of traffic incidents if:
(1) The incident involved alcohol or drugs;

Form N-400 Instructions 09/17/19 Page 13 of 18

(2) The incident led to an arrest; or
(3) The incident seriously injured another person.

You do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines or incidents that did not involve an arrest or did not involve drugs or alcohol, if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driving record.

6 hours ago, NEW CITIZEN said:

You do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines or incidents that did not involve an arrest or did not involve drugs or alcohol, if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 or points on your driving record.

Ha ha when all else fails read the instructions..... been guilty of that many many times lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.