gazgazain

Derived Citizenship

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hello,

my wife is in the process of becoming a US citizen (she will have an interview next month). Her son (my stepson and 7 years old) is here with us as well with a Green Card (currently with pending I751) since 2018. Once my wife naturalizes, that would also mean (based on The Child Citizenship Act of 2000) our son also becomes a US citizen. Once this happens we would like to apply for a passport (as well as a N600) but it is little bit confusing on what documents to provide. From travel.gov homepage about passports I found this:

U.S. Citizenship through Naturalization of a Parent

If you were born outside the United States and acquired U.S. citizenship through the naturalization of your parent(s), please submit the following with your passport application:

1. Your foreign birth certificate listing your parent(s)
  2. Your parent(s)’ naturalization certificate
  3. Evidence of your permanent residence status. Examples include:
    • Permanent Resident Card/Green Card
    • Foreign passport with the original I-551 visa entry stamp
  4. Your parents' marriage certificate (if your parents were married when you legally entered the U.S. and before your 18th birthday) 
  5. Documentation of legal custody (if your parents were not married when you legally entered the U.S.)
  6. Evidence of your legitimation (if your parents were not married at the time of your birth). Examples include:
    • Your parents' marriage certificate dated after your birth
    • Certified court order of legitimation 

1, 2 and 3 understood.

4 - Are we talking about the biological parents or is this my marriage to his biological mother. My wife never married the biological father. My guess it is the marriage certificate between biological parents, and therefore we would/could not provide this.

5. My wife have a Thai court order showing that she has the full custody of our son. This was the same court order that we had to submit for the green card application.

6. This one is the most confusing one. Not sure what this is and what needs to be provided. Is it required if citizenship is derived through the mother? I read somewhere that this is only required if citizenship is derived through the father. But I might be wrong.

This is what we would like to send:

1. Birth certificate, Name change documents (he changed name in Thailand). Documents sent both in Thai and English.

2. His mother naturalization certificate.

3. Send his expired Green Card with the extension letter.

4. Not sure. I guess not applicable to our case.

5. Legal custody court order from Thai court with English translation.

6. Not applicable to us.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Jonny Eser

On 9/15/2020 at 9:28 AM, gazgazain said:

This is what we would like to send:

1. Birth certificate, Name change documents (he changed name in Thailand). Documents sent both in Thai and English.

2. His mother naturalization certificate.

3. Send his expired Green Card with the extension letter.

4. Not sure. I guess not applicable to our case.

5. Legal custody court order from Thai court with English translation.

6. Not applicable to us.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

Jonny Eser

You are correct 4 and 6 are n/a in your case, the rest look good. The same docs are needed for n600.

fyi what I did (also applied for both passport and n600 for my kid): my oath ceremony was in the morning, so I made an appointment at local USPS for passport for the last slot of same day. After oath, went home and made copies of naturalization certificate and kid’s green card, because at the passport appointment they will take the originals for submission and DoS will not return the kid’s green card after the passport is issued.  Kid and I went in for passport appointment with all appropriate docs, and I used the copies I had scanned to upload for N600 online application. When I got kid’s passport, I added that to the online n600 application, and kept the letter from DoS saying they had kept the green card for when we had to pick up the certificate of citizenship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.