humptydumpty

N400 Tax Return / Transcript question

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi all.

I’m filing for the N400 before the end of the month (before the increase) based on 3 years.

I have tax transcripts for the last 2 years, but i don’t for the year 2017.

In short, my wife found out she didn’t file taxes when i brought it up to start filing. So we immediately filed back in July (By paper was the only option) , however the IRS portal has not updated this yet and it still shows she never filed (imagine the immense backlog with filers due to covid)

I personally was not employed in 2017. I was in 2018 until present day so that is accounted for.

My concern is, would the application for the N400 be denied due to this? I’m confident this would be updated through the IRS. 

Everything else is accounted for as far as requirements go. It’s just that one 2017 tax return.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Straight out denied because of missing tax documentation is highly unlikely. You may get an RFE for it but most likely the systems will have caught up with each other by the time your application gets reviewed. If I remember correctly you can still upload additional info after filling, so you may want to try that ones it becomes available.

Do bring the info  (and all other documentation you have collected over the years) with you to the interview. Just in case they want to see it.

Filed: Other Timeline
On 9/14/2020 at 1:44 PM, Fr8dog said:

Straight out denied because of missing tax documentation is highly unlikely. You may get an RFE for it but most likely the systems will have caught up with each other by the time your application gets reviewed. If I remember correctly you can still upload additional info after filling, so you may want to try that ones it becomes available.

Do bring the info  (and all other documentation you have collected over the years) with you to the interview. Just in case they want to see it.

Thanks kerel! 

I have no option really, IRS site also states they working on a backlog and there is no point in contacting them. I’ve screenshotted it and take this as additional proof. Whilst processing the application i’ll just wait until the transcript is available which i will bring to the interview. For now i just include a copy of the return and an explanation of why we didn’t file.

I have everything else, so i’m a little less worried now.

Meanwhile i’m also waiting for the ROC to push through, which is taking forever.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.