JAdams333

EAD renewal during AOS processing

22 posts in this topic

Hello all! 

I am once again asking for some sagely advice from people who have gone through this process recently.

I am a October 2019 filer for AOS following K1.

I am filing for a renewal EAD (I still have about 5 and a half months remaining on my EAD but considering backlog thought I'd file sooner rather than later). Also being in NYC I have resigned myself to a long wait!

My package contains
1. Cover letter

2. forms I765 and i131 

3. Passport/visa copy, I-94, EAD copy, passport photos

4. Copies of original NOA for AOS and EAD/travel doc

Have I missed anything before I mail this? I have followed the original checklist, and I understand that I don't need to pay the fee again. 

Thanks again for all your kind advice!

Edited by JAdams333

I'm also applying to renew my combo card this week. It expires in February 2021, so filing 180 days before expiry.

Here's what I included for each application (I-765 & I-131 - obviously substitute Form I-131 for Form I-765 in that application) based on scanning quite a few posts that resulted in successful renewals. 

1. 2 x Passport Photos

2. Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

3. Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization

4. Copy of Applicant’s Passport information page and current entry stamp

5. Copy of I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt notice of pending I-485

6. Copy of I-797, Notice of Action, approval notice of current I-766

7. Copy of Applicant’s current Employment Authorization Document

8. Copy of current Employment Authorization Document tear-off portion

9. Copy of Applicant’s I-94

Don't forget there's a new edition of form I-765 that came into effect on 25th August 2020.

Best of luck

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I am clueless right now so may I know why you are filing for renewal?

I am a Oct 2019 filer too and had an interview in the USCIS office just a week before it was shut down due to Covid-19. I was supposed to receive my green card two weeks after the interview but due to the Covid-19 I have not heard anything since then. My EAD combo card is expiring on April 2021. I am wondering if I should be worried?

7 minutes ago, San_Polo said:

I am clueless right now so may I know why you are filing for renewal?

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm filing for renewal because, the way things are going, we're not that confident we'll get an interview before my combo card expires. 

Surprised to hear you filed in October 19 and you already had an interview at the LA field office.

You should definitely contact USCIS about your GC. That doesn't seem right, even in the current circumstances. What does your I-485 case status say? 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, BellaUnion said:

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm filing for renewal because, the way things are going, we're not that confident we'll get an interview before my combo card expires. 

Surprised to hear you filed in October 19 and you already had an interview at the LA field office.

You should definitely contact USCIS about your GC. That doesn't seem right, even in the current circumstances. What does your I-485 case status say? 

Yes, I was surprised too. They scheduled my initial interview on Feb 11 2020 but that was too close to my due date so I had it rescheduled to March. My case status is still on "Interview was scheduled" since last year. I emailed them but got no response. Did you receive any updates since then?

2 minutes ago, AuroraX said:

Yes, I was surprised too. They scheduled my initial interview on Feb 11 2020 but that was too close to my due date so I had it rescheduled to March. My case status is still on "Interview was scheduled" since last year. I emailed them but got no response. Did you receive any updates since then?

Good for you getting an interview so quickly. 

We haven't heard anything from USCIS since I got my combo card in February 2020. AOS status has been 'case is ready to be scheduled for an interview' since January 2020. 

You should definitely contact USCIS. From what you said, it sounds like you were approved at the interview. If so, something seems wrong there. Your case status should be at least 'case was approved.' Sometimes it doesn't update, but 5 months with no receipt of GC suggests something has gone wrong somewhere.

Timeline
29 minutes ago, BellaUnion said:

Good for you getting an interview so quickly. 

We haven't heard anything from USCIS since I got my combo card in February 2020. AOS status has been 'case is ready to be scheduled for an interview' since January 2020. 

You should definitely contact USCIS. From what you said, it sounds like you were approved at the interview. If so, something seems wrong there. Your case status should be at least 'case was approved.' Sometimes it doesn't update, but 5 months with no receipt of GC suggests something has gone wrong somewhere.

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/uscis-discloses-delays-in-issuance-of-32189/

found this article. I guess that’s the reason why it is delayed. Hope it helps! 

@AuroraX Good luck with it. You're a lot more relaxed than most people. If I were you, I'd have been on the phone to USCIS months ago asking for an I-551 stamp. 

19 hours ago, BellaUnion said:

I'm also applying to renew my combo card this week. It expires in February 2021, so filing 180 days before expiry.

Here's what I included for each application (I-765 & I-131 - obviously substitute Form I-131 for Form I-765 in that application) based on scanning quite a few posts that resulted in successful renewals. 

1. 2 x Passport Photos

2. Form G-1145, E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance

3. Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization

4. Copy of Applicant’s Passport information page and current entry stamp

5. Copy of I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt notice of pending I-485

6. Copy of I-797, Notice of Action, approval notice of current I-766

7. Copy of Applicant’s current Employment Authorization Document

8. Copy of current Employment Authorization Document tear-off portion

9. Copy of Applicant’s I-94

Don't forget there's a new edition of form I-765 that came into effect on 25th August 2020.

Best of luck

Thanks for the reply - I am of the same opinion you are, and that is file as soon as possible to negate an extended wait time.

Timeline
On 8/28/2020 at 6:38 PM, BellaUnion said:

@AuroraX Good luck with it. You're a lot more relaxed than most people. If I were you, I'd have been on the phone to USCIS months ago asking for an I-551 stamp. 

okay now I am panicking.  I didn't know about I-551 stamp, thanks for letting me know :) When I googled it, it says:

When is an I-551 stamp needed?

Permanent residents may need an I-551 stamp when their Green Card expires, when their permanent resident card has been lost, stolen, damaged or if any of the information on the document must be updated (e.g., the name needs to be changed as a result of marriage or an address change).

I am still in the process of getting my status adjusted, so technically speaking I am not a permanent resident yet right? I thought I am supposed to hold on to the combo card and wait for the green card approval to arrive (of which was delayed due to the pandemic)... Please advise :)

Thank you!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
52 minutes ago, AuroraX said:

okay now I am panicking.  I didn't know about I-551 stamp, thanks for letting me know :) When I googled it, it says:

When is an I-551 stamp needed?

Permanent residents may need an I-551 stamp when their Green Card expires, when their permanent resident card has been lost, stolen, damaged or if any of the information on the document must be updated (e.g., the name needs to be changed as a result of marriage or an address change).

I am still in the process of getting my status adjusted, so technically speaking I am not a permanent resident yet right? I thought I am supposed to hold on to the combo card and wait for the green card approval to arrive (of which was delayed due to the pandemic)... Please advise :)

Thank you!

You can't get a stamp since your AOS is still pending.

1 hour ago, Ayrton said:

You can't get a stamp since your AOS is still pending.

It's implied they were approved at the interview back in March, so their AOS may not be pending. The article they linked suggests an I-551 stamp can be provided on the basis of GC production delays. In any event, it's not clear this is the issue. @AuroraX - what exactly did they tell you at the interview? That you were approved and you should expect to receive your GC within a couple of weeks (which is what is suggested in your original post) or that your case needed further review? These are two very different scenarios. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
5 minutes ago, BellaUnion said:

It's implied they were approved at the interview back in March, so their AOS may not be pending. The article they linked suggests an I-551 stamp can be provided on the basis of GC production delays. In any event, it's not clear this is the issue. @AuroraX - what exactly did they tell you at the interview? That you were approved and you should expect to receive your GC within a couple of weeks (which is what is suggested in your original post) or that your case needed further review? These are two very different scenarios. 

They said their status never changed to approved. So they never received an approval letter.

Timeline
17 hours ago, BellaUnion said:

Thank you all for the input. Really appreciate it as it's so hard to get on hold with someone due to the high call volume in USCIS offices.

Yes, the officer told us during the interview that they were still waiting for my original files to be shipped from National Visa Center to their office. However, he PRE-approved us on the spot and would write it on my file that once the files are received from NVC they could go ahead and process it as approved case (unless there's a hiccup and they would request for more evidence). So I am assuming I would have received a letter requesting for more evidence if they could not approve it after reviewing my original files from NVC. I haven't received approval letter either. That's why I am thinking the processing time is delayed due to the pandemic since they closed their office a week after my interview. 

What do you think? I have submitted a case inquiry to their website but have not received any response yet. It says 8-23 months processing time for AOS on their website. 

Thank you in advance!

Timeline
17 hours ago, Ayrton said:

They said their status never changed to approved. So they never received an approval letter.

Yeah that was I thought. The officer PRE-approved us but he had to wait for the original files to be shipped from National Visa Center before they could go ahead with the actual approval. So I don't know what's going on after they closed down their offices. Are you having the same issue?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.