bunkx

N400/ROC - Case Transfer? Timeline? Interview Questions?

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hello,

I know this topic has been talked about in detail here before, and applying for N400 while the ROC is pending looks like the way to go. So I won't repeat the same questions, however here's a couple I haven't been able to find answers to.

1. Based on what I understand applying for N400 results in my case being transferred to my local office. My ROC application is at Potomac (YSC) which seems to have ground to a halt. My local office, on the other hand, is Norfolk, VA - which people appear to be pleased with. (I did my biometrics there and it took all of 5-10 minutes. Stark contrast to my experience near DC for my AOS biometrics, which involved sitting in the waiting area for almost 2 hours with no phone to entertain myself with.) Do you guys think it would accelerate my I-751 process if it were transferred to Norfolk from the Potomac Service Center - or would it lead to additional delays in my ROC timeline?
  2. I've also heard you often need to specifically ask for a combo interview. What kind of verbage do you use in the letter? Do you just attach it like any other piece of evidence and hope they see it? I'd ideally like them to go ahead and schedule the ROC interview if it can happen before they get to my N400 file. However if my N400 interview comes along and my ROC has not been adjudicated yet, it would be preferable if they could take care of both right then and there. I'm just not sure which one will happen first, and don't want to tell them to put my ROC on pause for the N400.
  3. I've been an LPR since 11/29/17 - but myUSCIS says I can't apply before 08/31/20. Just to be safe, I was thinking about applying on 9/1/20. I don't think the system lets you apply before you eligible anyway, right?
  4. Attaching so many files on the online form feels awkward, especially since there is no good way to organize the information. Are we basically spamming them with evidence and hoping they sort through it? I tried to at least name the PDF files in a way that makes sense. 
  5. Awkward interview questions - I read that people got asked the last time they were intimate, or what side of the bed they sleep on etc. We are a same-sex asexual couple. Our sleeping arrangement is also atypical, but it's not unheard of. We sleep in separate rooms because of our schedules (he's a nurse and I'm a pilot) and my sleep issues. We tried sleeping in the same bed for the first year and it just didn't work out. We're hoping that this doesn't come up during the interview, but our plan is to just be truthful and explain the situation. We are still married, we still love each other and we're committed to spending the rest our lives together - we don't think sleeping in the same bed or having sex has anything to do with the legitimacy of our marriage. I just can't help but be nervous about people not understanding or this needlessly complicating things. Any advice?

Thank you in advance to all who take time to respond. We appreciate any insight you may have to offer.

N-400 Application for Naturalization

Day    00 - 08/31/20 - Submitted online N-400 application. ROC still pending. Requested combo interview.

Day    01 - 09/01/20 - NOA received online. Status says biometrics appt letter will be sent. (PD 08/31/20)

Day  141 - 01/20/21 - Biometrics reuse letter

Day  233 - 04/22/21 - ROC approved, no news on N-400

Day  288 - 06/18/21 - Interview scheduled

Day  332 - 07/30/21 - Successful interview. No decision yet.

Day 758  - 09/28/22 - Oath ceremony will be scheduled

Day 870 - 01/18/23 - Oath ceremony complete

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
1 hour ago, bunkx said:

Hello,

I know this topic has been talked about in detail here before, and applying for N400 while the ROC is pending looks like the way to go. So I won't repeat the same questions, however here's a couple I haven't been able to find answers to.

1. Based on what I understand applying for N400 results in my case being transferred to my local office. My ROC application is at Potomac (YSC) which seems to have ground to a halt. My local office, on the other hand, is Norfolk, VA - which people appear to be pleased with. (I did my biometrics there and it took all of 5-10 minutes. Stark contrast to my experience near DC for my AOS biometrics, which involved sitting in the waiting area for almost 2 hours with no phone to entertain myself with.) Do you guys think it would accelerate my I-751 process if it were transferred to Norfolk from the Potomac Service Center - or would it lead to additional delays in my ROC timeline?
  2. I've also heard you often need to specifically ask for a combo interview. What kind of verbage do you use in the letter? Do you just attach it like any other piece of evidence and hope they see it? I'd ideally like them to go ahead and schedule the ROC interview if it can happen before they get to my N400 file. However if my N400 interview comes along and my ROC has not been adjudicated yet, it would be preferable if they could take care of both right then and there. I'm just not sure which one will happen first, and don't want to tell them to put my ROC on pause for the N400.
  3. I've been an LPR since 11/29/17 - but myUSCIS says I can't apply before 08/31/20. Just to be safe, I was thinking about applying on 9/1/20. I don't think the system lets you apply before you eligible anyway, right?
  4. Attaching so many files on the online form feels awkward, especially since there is no good way to organize the information. Are we basically spamming them with evidence and hoping they sort through it? I tried to at least name the PDF files in a way that makes sense. 
  5. Awkward interview questions - I read that people got asked the last time they were intimate, or what side of the bed they sleep on etc. We are a same-sex asexual couple. Our sleeping arrangement is also atypical, but it's not unheard of. We sleep in separate rooms because of our schedules (he's a nurse and I'm a pilot) and my sleep issues. We tried sleeping in the same bed for the first year and it just didn't work out. We're hoping that this doesn't come up during the interview, but our plan is to just be truthful and explain the situation. We are still married, we still love each other and we're committed to spending the rest our lives together - we don't think sleeping in the same bed or having sex has anything to do with the legitimacy of our marriage. I just can't help but be nervous about people not understanding or this needlessly complicating things. Any advice?

Thank you in advance to all who take time to respond. We appreciate any insight you may have to offer.

Your case moves to your local office when they decide. Only way to get a transfer to somewhere new (a different local office) is to change address so a different office is responsible for that jurisdiction. 

Not sure about the combos I know they are sometimes automatic. I knew both my files had transferred to my local office because I got notifications and could have only assumed it would have been combo (de-scheduled bc of Covid and hasn't been rescheduled yet).

The system shouldn't let you apply before you're eligible but people have had issues if they apply on the exact same day they become eligible. Waiting A day or 2 is best. I waited a week. 

I didn't attach a ton of evidence. There are specific areas for what is required and then another for additional evidence. I think I just named the PDFs accordingly. 

Your marriage is your own. I understand being nervous and that's quite normal. I suggest you be honest like you have been here. No two marriages are the same and it's rare for them to ask such personal questions. Though it's possible, I've found these types of things come up more so when there are red flags or significant doubts. You can just be honest, nothing more. 

Cateogory: CR1

• NOA1/Notice of receipt: Sept. 15, 2015
  • NOA2/I130 Approved: February 8, 2016 (NO RFE) :)
  • Process slowed down by us
  • Sent documents to NVC: April 11, 2016
  • Scan date: April 14/ May 7th (NVC said both I dont know why)
  • Case Complete: May 31, 2016 (No checklist) :dancing:

August 17, 2016: Visa Approved!!!! :dancing:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.