Jump to content

US Citizenship thru Father (Deceased) What to do?

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone,


It's been a while since I've been here and my googling and searching skills in regards to immigration and stuff related to it became rusty. Sorry if this had been asked please copy and paste the link for the topic so I can look through it. Here's the scenario.


Ex sister-in-law is currently 17 y.o will be 18 this December. Her father is a US Citizen so therefore she is already a US Citizen thru Section 322 of the INA. But the father is dead and they do not know where they're father's Naturalization certificate is. I do have a copy though from when I arrange the papers of my ex mom-in-law I was able to save a copy. What does she need to do? I feel bad that I can't be of more help to her. Her older siblings just don't bother trying to fix what she needs. I would really appreciate any help. Thank you.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Her cheapest option will be to apply for a passport. The issue is - will she have enough documentation?  You might be able to obtain a copy of the naturalization certificate here https://www.uscis.gov/g-1041a Alternatively there may be a public record of the naturalization in the national archives.


Although it’s possible that the copy that you have is sufficient. I’d check out the passport application and see what she needs to apply and then work out if you have what is necessary.


Best of luck.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...