stef27

What is considered an emergency?

2 posts in this topic

I filed my I-751 in September 2018, Biometrics in July 2019 and no updates since then. My extension expired in April 2020. I had an appointment to get the stamp in my passport but it got cancelled due to the shut downs.

My field office is still only doing emergency appointments. I know that you can get one for work related issues but I am wondering what else is considered an emergency.

I'm currently pregnant and have a toddler at home and my husband works basically all day. I'm just worried something happens and I have to take my child or myself to the doctor and without a valid driver's license or a support system around me this could be difficult.

If anyone has any input or know what they consider an emergency that would be greatly appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline
8 hours ago, stef27 said:

I filed my I-751 in September 2018, Biometrics in July 2019 and no updates since then. My extension expired in April 2020. I had an appointment to get the stamp in my passport but it got cancelled due to the shut downs.

My field office is still only doing emergency appointments. I know that you can get one for work related issues but I am wondering what else is considered an emergency.

I'm currently pregnant and have a toddler at home and my husband works basically all day. I'm just worried something happens and I have to take my child or myself to the doctor and without a valid driver's license or a support system around me this could be difficult.

If anyone has any input or know what they consider an emergency that would be greatly appreciated.

====

Edit for moderators: this can be merged with the following thread:

https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/738638-i-551-stamp-during-covid-19/

====

From our recent experience, this varies from officer to officer. In our case, the birth of a sibling's child was qualified as an emergency but not as a "life or death" emergency so the officer put us on an emergency ranking call-back list. My spouse did have to get certified letters from overseas confirming the pregnancy and due date by a doctor and his relationship to the pregnant woman and also show flight tickets. We did receive the call back, but when my spouse went to USCIS one officer was significantly more strict than the other and denying people's stamps, even though they had gotten the appointment.

You definitely need to be more clear about why you need the stamp. If you are saying you need to give birth overseas because you do not have support here, you will likely need a letter from your doctor and you will need to show proof of travel. Good luck!

Edited by NYBEtt
Spoiler

K1 Timeline:

7/18/2016 --> I-129F application sent

1/26/2017 --> K1 visa received

Adjustment of Status Timeline:

2/7/17 --> I-485, I-131, I-765 (AOS+AP+EAD) application sent

8/18/2017--> green card received in mail

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

5/14/2019 --> I-751 application sent

10/2/2020 --> 10-year green card received in mail

Naturalization Timeline:

7/28/2020--> Submitted N-400 application online

2/12/2021--> Biometrics re-use letter received

4/30/2021--> Interview scheduled for 6/8/2021

6/8/2021-->  Approved during interview

6/21/2021-->  oath ceremony - officially US citizen

K1: 7/18/2016 --> 1/26/2017

AOS: 2/7/17 --> 8/18/2017

ROC:  5/14/2019 --> 10/2/2020

Naturalization: 7/28/2020--> 6/21/2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.