jdc4357

Got Green card, airline tickets..which last name to use?

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

My wife and I got married in the US last year. She has now gotten her green card with her updated last name. She needs to fly back overseas for a few weeks. What name do we use for her leaving the country? Her Green card has her new last name, but her German passport still has her maiden name. We don't know what to use on the airline tickets that require a "goverment issued photo id".

While she is over there she will get a new passport with her new last name. If she goes back to Germany using her maiden name, will she have problems coming back since all her "ids" will be the new last name, but the airline ticket still has her maiden name.

Quite a dilema......

thanks for your time!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
My wife and I got married in the US last year. She has now gotten her green card with her updated last name. She needs to fly back overseas for a few weeks. What name do we use for her leaving the country? Her Green card has her new last name, but her German passport still has her maiden name. We don't know what to use on the airline tickets that require a "goverment issued photo id".

While she is over there she will get a new passport with her new last name. If she goes back to Germany using her maiden name, will she have problems coming back since all her "ids" will be the new last name, but the airline ticket still has her maiden name.

Quite a dilema......

thanks for your time!!

The name on the airline ticket must match the name on the passport, otherwise she will not be allowed to check in.

AOS

AOS Package received in Chicago 4-25-07 (Day 1)

NOA 1 5-01-07 (Day 7)

Cheque Cashed 5-02-07 (Day 8)

Touched 5-04-07 (Day 10)

Biometrics Appointment 5-18-07 (Day 26)

Touched 5-21-07 (Day 29)

Transferred to CSC e-mail 5-25-07 (Day 33)

Touched 5-28-07 (Day 36)

Touched again...feels niiiice! 5-29-07 (Day 37)

Notice of CSC transfer via reg mail 6-01-07 (Day 40)

Touched; 'pending @ CSC' e-mail 6-07-07 (Day 46)

Touched 6-08-07 (Day 47)

Touched 6-10-07 (Day 49)

Touched 6-19-07 (Day 58)

Touched 6-20-07 (Day 59)

Touched 8-31-07 & 9-3-07

Card Production Ordered 10-01-07

Welcome Notice Sent 10-02-07

Lifting of Conditions

Sent 7/13/09

Received at CSC 7/14/09

NOA Receieved (Dated 7/14) 7/18/09

Biometrics Appointment 8/12/09

Touched 8/13/09

Filed: Timeline

Quite a dilema......

thanks for your time!!

The name on the airline ticket must match the name on the passport, otherwise she will not be allowed to check in.

Not true. You can bring a marriage certificate (showing ner last name).

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Quite a dilema......

thanks for your time!!

Best bet is to call the airline to confirm. The marriage certificate works just fine for customs purposes. However, to check in with most airlines the policy is that the passenger's name on the ticket must match the name in the passport.

Edited by Jashley820

AOS

AOS Package received in Chicago 4-25-07 (Day 1)

NOA 1 5-01-07 (Day 7)

Cheque Cashed 5-02-07 (Day 8)

Touched 5-04-07 (Day 10)

Biometrics Appointment 5-18-07 (Day 26)

Touched 5-21-07 (Day 29)

Transferred to CSC e-mail 5-25-07 (Day 33)

Touched 5-28-07 (Day 36)

Touched again...feels niiiice! 5-29-07 (Day 37)

Notice of CSC transfer via reg mail 6-01-07 (Day 40)

Touched; 'pending @ CSC' e-mail 6-07-07 (Day 46)

Touched 6-08-07 (Day 47)

Touched 6-10-07 (Day 49)

Touched 6-19-07 (Day 58)

Touched 6-20-07 (Day 59)

Touched 8-31-07 & 9-3-07

Card Production Ordered 10-01-07

Welcome Notice Sent 10-02-07

Lifting of Conditions

Sent 7/13/09

Received at CSC 7/14/09

NOA Receieved (Dated 7/14) 7/18/09

Biometrics Appointment 8/12/09

Touched 8/13/09

Quite a dilema......

thanks for your time!!

No, Jashley is correct. The marriage certificate trick only works on CBP when entering the USA. Legally your airline ticket must match your passport.

Edited by Dr_LHA

Go with the Maiden name, Like the previous poster mentioned The name on the PASSPORT has to match the name on the TICKET. I am talking from a personal experience, my wife went on a business trip to Dublin Ireland, then onward to Frankfurt Germany last November. The company had booked the ticket on her married name, leaving the US she didn't have any problem, she just show them the marriage certificate. But once in Europe that's where the problem started, from Dublin to Frankfurt they gave her a lot of headache with the mismatch name. Then from Frankfurt back to the US, they had to issue a new ticket and pay 80Euro to have the tickets change to her maiden name.

Gone but not Forgotten!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.