joanamber

NBI Written Explanation - How long does it take?

18 posts in this topic

Hello! My husband received a 221g letter requesting for an NBI Written Explanation but the embassy is the one who’s going to do the request. So all we have to do is wait. 

Anyone here who has the same experience? How long did it take to finally hear from them? I hope that you can give me ideas on how long we have to expect. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

There have been a fair number over the years that needed the explanation letter.    Vast majority received their visas, eventually.

How long will this take?  Really hard to say with the lockdown still going on

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

2 hours ago, Hank_ said:

There have been a fair number over the years that needed the explanation letter.    Vast majority received their visas, eventually.

How long will this take?  Really hard to say with the lockdown still going on

Thanks for the response. 

• 9 months later...
On 7/3/2020 at 1:26 AM, joanamber said:

Hello! My husband received a 221g letter requesting for an NBI Written Explanation but the embassy is the one who’s going to do the request. So all we have to do is wait. 

Anyone here who has the same experience? How long did it take to finally hear from them? I hope that you can give me ideas on how long we have to expect. 

Hi we got the same situation with my dad for Ir1 Visa . He was interviewed last October 2020 since then we have not heard anything from the embassy.

January 2021 we emailed USEM but they only said they already requested it to NBI and just waiting for the response. Now we were able to get in contact with NBi they where looking for some documents like a request letter from the embassy. Whats the latest update of your husbands? Thank you

15 minutes ago, randall21 said:

Hi we got the same situation with my dad for Ir1 Visa . He was interviewed last October 2020 since then we have not heard anything from the embassy.

January 2021 we emailed USEM but they only said they already requested it to NBI and just waiting for the response. Now we were able to get in contact with NBi they where looking for some documents like a request letter from the embassy. Whats the latest update of your husbands? Thank you

Hi, 

My husband is here now. The request letter took a long time to arrive as well. We hired an immigration lawyer to make things move faster.

best of luck!

1 minute ago, joanamber said:

Hi, 

My husband is here now. The request letter took a long time to arrive as well. We hired an immigration lawyer to make things move faster.

best of luck!

Thank you for your reply. Did you asked for the request letter from the embassy? or you just waited for their email ? thank you.. and congratulations

10 minutes ago, randall21 said:

Thank you for your reply. Did you asked for the request letter from the embassy? or you just waited for their email ? thank you.. and congratulations

We just waited. We tried calling and sending emails but nothing worked. 

here’s our timeline just to give you an idea

Feb19 - self update

Feb 19- refused

Feb 24 - medical

March 8 - refused

April 1 - personal eval (covid closure)

June 8 - personal eval resched/immunization

June 11 - self update / refused

June 29 - sent docs to 2Go

June 30 - docs received at USEM

July 1 - self update / refused

July 2 - self update / refused

July 3 - letter received/ nbi written explanation

July 4 - scheduled CFO GCP

July 6 - self update/ refused

July 13 - called USEM / refused

July 14 - self update / refused

July 15 - self update / refused

July 16 - defendants asked for 60day extension

July 27 - CFO Tele-counseling

July 29 - self update / refused

July 30 - self update / NBI Endorsement Letter / NBI Written Explanation

August 3 - sent court docs, copy of NBI via 2Go

August 4 - delivered to USEM/ update refused

August 5 - self update/refused

August 6 - self update/refused

August 7 - self update/refused

August 20 - written explanation received/update

August 24 - update/refused

August 25 - call from Embassy/sent appointment for Oath Taking/update

August 26 - Call from embassy/aoth taking appt

August 27 - oath taking/update

August 28 - ISSUED!!!

September 3 - VOH

September 13 - POE

October 29 - Green Card Received 

7 minutes ago, joanamber said:

We just waited. We tried calling and sending emails but nothing worked. 

here’s our timeline just to give you an idea

Feb19 - self update

Feb 19- refused

Feb 24 - medical

March 8 - refused

April 1 - personal eval (covid closure)

June 8 - personal eval resched/immunization

June 11 - self update / refused

June 29 - sent docs to 2Go

June 30 - docs received at USEM

July 1 - self update / refused

July 2 - self update / refused

July 3 - letter received/ nbi written explanation

July 4 - scheduled CFO GCP

July 6 - self update/ refused

July 13 - called USEM / refused

July 14 - self update / refused

July 15 - self update / refused

July 16 - defendants asked for 60day extension

July 27 - CFO Tele-counseling

July 29 - self update / refused

July 30 - self update / NBI Endorsement Letter / NBI Written Explanation

August 3 - sent court docs, copy of NBI via 2Go

August 4 - delivered to USEM/ update refused

August 5 - self update/refused

August 6 - self update/refused

August 7 - self update/refused

August 20 - written explanation received/update

August 24 - update/refused

August 25 - call from Embassy/sent appointment for Oath Taking/update

August 26 - Call from embassy/aoth taking appt

August 27 - oath taking/update

August 28 - ISSUED!!!

September 3 - VOH

September 13 - POE

October 29 - Green Card Received 

oh wow it took 7 months .. so as my dad's status as of this time.  hoping to hear soon from USEM. been sending them emails. thank you

5 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Does this mean you (and your lawyer) filed a Writ of Mandamus against USEM?

Yes. We received 3 221g. But thankfully we are done. 🙏🏻

2 minutes ago, randall21 said:

oh wow it took 7 months .. so as my dad's status as of this time.  hoping to hear soon from USEM. been sending them emails. thank you

That’s just a portion of our visa journey. Ours took almost 2 years because of covid. 

1 minute ago, joanamber said:

Yes. We received 3 221g. But thankfully we are done. 🙏🏻

Thanks for the confirmation and the timeline, @joanamber!  Happy for you and your husband :dance:

@randall21, it's unfortunate that it may take a Writ of Mandamus lawsuit to get this sort of case moving.  Maybe you should explore that option as well for your dad's case.

6 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Thanks for the confirmation and the timeline, @joanamber!  Happy for you and your husband :dance:

@randall21, it's unfortunate that it may take a Writ of Mandamus lawsuit to get this sort of case moving.  Maybe you should explore that option as well for your dad's case.

thank

6 minutes ago, Chancy said:

Thank you! Last week  was my brother's interview at USEM, he was accompanied by my dad inside and during the interview. He was able to ask about his case after the interview and was told to wait for an email , they will expedite the case. Hopefully we will have a response this week from USEM. We are worried because my brother was issued an immigrant visa already and he has to fly with my dad.  

If we dont have any response , maybe we will try to look into this option. Thank you

Edited by randall21

6 minutes ago, randall21 said:

He was able to ask about his case after the interview and was told to wait for an email , they will expedite the case.

Sounds like there's some progress, at least.  Good luck to your dad!

• 1 year later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.