lilybells

CEAC asking for multiple police certificates even though it shouldn't

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline

Hello everyone!

I recently completed the DS-260. By my estimates, I should be expected to submit THREE police certificates: one from Chile, where I was born and raised, one from the UAE where I attended university, and one from China, where I currently live. 

Throughout my university period, I studied abroad in the UK (5 months), Hong Kong (3 months), and Italy (1 month). I listed all these addresses as I was living in those locations during different times. CEAC is asking me to submit police certificates for all three of these in addition to the places I've actually lived (see screenshot)

However, according to the official webpage on travel.state.gov I should not be having to submit any of these as the time does not exceed a year, let alone 6 months, in any of those locations (see screenshot) 

Can I simply not upload them and upload a document for each of these police certificates explaining why?

Or, am I SOL and have to get all of these (the Italy one blows my mind - I was there for 30 days only!!)? 

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 15.04.37.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 15.06.03.png

You're entirely correct in that you don't have to provide police certificates for those stays. 

Someone else might be more experienced  in telling you how they did it, but a document confirming the dates you  moved there & total time spent there, and that it was less than 12 months, should do the trick!

Hello - we had the same issue, for the ones where we were traveling or on vacation or not living there legally, so we just wrote that in the comments section and included the purpose of our stay (vacation or travel) and the duration of our stay (30-60 days) and did not upload anything -- there were about 4 counties of 10 listed that we did this for and this was accepted and our application was transfer to the US Embassy. The other 6 we legitimately needed to provide PCs for.   

My partner has his Visa interview this week in Brussels, so I will write back if anything comes of this but this send to be the safest way to go.  

Good luck! 

DM

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Chile
Timeline
12 hours ago, Melc said:

You're entirely correct in that you don't have to provide police certificates for those stays. 

Someone else might be more experienced  in telling you how they did it, but a document confirming the dates you  moved there & total time spent there, and that it was less than 12 months, should do the trick!

Thank you so much!!

6 hours ago, digitalegg said:

Hello - we had the same issue, for the ones where we were traveling or on vacation or not living there legally, so we just wrote that in the comments section and included the purpose of our stay (vacation or travel) and the duration of our stay (30-60 days) and did not upload anything -- there were about 4 counties of 10 listed that we did this for and this was accepted and our application was transfer to the US Embassy. The other 6 we legitimately needed to provide PCs for.   

My partner has his Visa interview this week in Brussels, so I will write back if anything comes of this but this send to be the safest way to go.  

Good luck! 

DM

This is great to hear - thank you so much!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.