lazylivn

Leaving Sunday for Jordan

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi, I'm getting ready to leave. My wedding is planned for July 5. Any one here have experiance marrying a Christian in Jordan. I'm leaving Sunday and suddenly the church is demanding papers from me that is impossible for me to get, let alone in 2 business days. I'm getting frustrated.

Maggie

Filed: Timeline

Well, I think all i brought with me was my original birth certificate and original divorce papers. I cant remember anything else. I hope your time in Jordan is wonderful!

What papers is the church demanding from you? I am sure you can go to your City Hall and request a certified birth certificate and if you have been married before go to the court and request your divorce papers. I really dont know what else they would ask for. Have Fun!!!!!

Hi, I'm getting ready to leave. My wedding is planned for July 5. Any one here have experiance marrying a Christian in Jordan. I'm leaving Sunday and suddenly the church is demanding papers from me that is impossible for me to get, let alone in 2 business days. I'm getting frustrated.

Maggie

Timeline
Well, I think all i brought with me was my original birth certificate and original divorce papers. I cant remember anything else. I hope your time in Jordan is wonderful!

What papers is the church demanding from you? I am sure you can go to your City Hall and request a certified birth certificate and if you have been married before go to the court and request your divorce papers. I really dont know what else they would ask for. Have Fun!!!!!

Maggie

The church is asking for that stuff which I have...but today they want a paper saying I have not been married since divorce and they want a paper saying my ex husband was christian too. It's crazy. I can promise that if hell froze over this very min my ex would give me nothing to help me. He hate that I'm getting married he was hoping I would come to my senses and come back to him. I came to my senses that's why I divorced him..lol. I'm hoping for the best but if nothing else we can always go for a fiance visa right? I hope to be starting a timeline soon.

hmmm i wish my memory was better but i do recall going to the embassy in Jordan getting a document before I married but I am not sure what exactly it was. About a piece of paper about your ex being "christian" i wonder why they would want that. What difference does it make what religion ur ex was. It's not like we walk around with a "christian license"...lol How is one suppose to prove it?

I hope it all works out for you! Have you been to Jordan before?

Maggie

The church is asking for that stuff which I have...but today they want a paper saying I have not been married since divorce and they want a paper saying my ex husband was christian too. It's crazy. I can promise that if hell froze over this very min my ex would give me nothing to help me. He hate that I'm getting married he was hoping I would come to my senses and come back to him. I came to my senses that's why I divorced him..lol. I'm hoping for the best but if nothing else we can always go for a fiance visa right? I hope to be starting a timeline soon.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I had to fill out a paper at the embassy in Amman stating when I had divorced and that I had not remarried since that date. I got this paper from the embassy when I went there to get their permission to marry in Jordan. It had to be filled out in English and Arabic, which was not problem since my then fiance went with me to the embassy. Of course the difference was that he is Muslim and I am Christian. Hope everything goes well for you! Best of luck, and if any of your luggage feels unusally heavy? It's just one of us hitching a ride to Jordan. LOL

My life has been blessed with the love of 4 of the sweetest men in the world. James, Jonathan, Nicolas, and Islam, my sons and my S/O.

OPSSSSSSS I DID IT AGAIN!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Good luck and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!! You must be sooo nervous and excited!!! :luv:(L)

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Have a wonderful trip to Jordan! As the others have said, plan on a trip to the embassy to get the paper. I think I had to pay for it in US dollars not jd's so make sure you have currency with you.

It took us 3 days of chasing down paperwork to marry there. I know jordanianprincess tried to marry in the Christian church and had to come back to America and file for the fianee visa.

Good luck and have a safe trip.

Jackie

Timeline
Have a wonderful trip to Jordan! As the others have said, plan on a trip to the embassy to get the paper. I think I had to pay for it in US dollars not jd's so make sure you have currency with you.

It took us 3 days of chasing down paperwork to marry there. I know jordanianprincess tried to marry in the Christian church and had to come back to America and file for the fianee visa.

Good luck and have a safe trip.

Jackie

Yes it's my first time going there. I am very excited...I'm more nervous about the plan ride. Forget about the luggage...please don't lose MEEEEEEEE. I'm glad to hear about that paper. My fiance is christian and his paperwork is good. It's mine they have problem with. If all else fails I will go the fiance visa route too. He has already paid for and invited his family to a big wedding. I will be heartbroke if I don't get to wear my dress for them.

Maggie

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Enjoy yourself in Jordan and I wish you a wonderful wedding ceremony! Have a great time!

AJ1 :thumbs::yes:

7/17/2005----I met the love of my life.

1/18/2006----Arrived in Egypt to visit my love.

5/11/2006----Sent I129F.

6/15/2006----Recieved NOA1.

6/22/2006----Recieved RFE (IMBRA).

7/12/2006----Replied to RFE (IMBRA) Sent back.

7/17/2006----Our 1 year Anniversary!!!!

7/19/2006----VSC recieved RFE (IMBRA).

7/20/2006----touched

8/18/2006----touched

8/18/2006----NOA2!!!!!! THANK YOU GOD!!!!

8/18/2006----VSC sent our petition to NVC.

8/19/2006----touched

8/22/2006----NVC recieved our petition.

8/23/2006----NVC sent our petition to Cairo Embassy.

8/25/2006----Recieved NOA2 Approval letter in the mail.

8/28/2006----Recieved NVC letter with new case number.

8/31/2006----Cairo Embassy recieved our petition.

9/24/2006----I emailed the Embassy reguarding my fiance's packet 3.

10/17/2006--Cairo sent packet 3 for the second time to my fiance. First one was never recieved.

10/19/2006--Packet 3 recieved.

12/20/2006--Packet 3 sent.

12/21/2006--Cairo Embassy recieved packet 3.

2/21/2007---Packet 4 recieved.

3/12/2007---Interview (He Passed)!

3/12/2007---Administrative Processing begins.............God please help me get through this!

7/17/2007---Our 2 Year Anniversay!!!

10/23/2007--7 months and 2 weeks of A/P and still waiting..........God help me!

4/22/2008---2nd Interview ( keep us in your prayers)

4/22/2008--He was approved for the Visa 2-3 weeks until he recieves it in the mail lets hope so!!

6/03/2008--VISA IN HAND! Thank you god!

7/03/2008--Our Wedding Day!

"NEVER GIVE UP"

Well for once I can honestly say I don't want to go to Jordan.

Ok I married last July in Jordan but not in a Christian Church. I had to pay in the embassy american money for the paper and my husband had to wirte what they wanted in Arabic on the paper. DOn't forget the blood test and having all the papers translated into Arabic and his into English. make sure if he plans to have you go to a salon that either you can speak arabic or have some one there that can speak engilsh. I tri[pped out when they shaved my arms, I guess it is normal to wax them but I wasn't sure what they where saying so the shaved them.

Hope you have been advised that as soon as you get off the plane in Jordan you need to go to the little booth right as soon as you come down the ramp and change money so you have JOrdanian Dinairs so that you can step a couple of steps to the next booth and pay for the visa to be stamped in your passport before you go to get in the lines to be checked through. I only went one time but loved it. A couple of the ladies here helped me to be able to get this far when I arrived. I hope that you will be staying where western toliets are and if not be in for a very big surpirse. you will abousloutley love the food so don't be afraid to try it. The coffee beware unless you like a triple expresso. Take baby wipes, and tooth paste as the floride is much different then what we are accustom too.

Have fun shopping, purses, shoes, perfume, jewelry.

Ok I have to go to sleep, please pm me or any of the others that went to jordan if you have any questions.

Angie

Jul 20, 2006 Arrived in Amman, Jordan

Jul 24, 2006 Married in Amman, Jordan

Oct 11, 2006 I130 Approval Oct. 26, 2006 I129F Approval

Nov. 8, 2006 Recieved letter that I-129 was sent to Amman, Jordan

Dec 13, 2006 Recieved Package from Amman Embassy for K3 Intreview date Aug. 15,2007

Mar 05,2007 Embassy called interview scheduled for March 19th

Mar 19, 2007 Interview for K3- AP

May 20, 2007 Embassy called for Hasan to send in his passport!!!

May 24, 2007 Recieved Interview date of June 5th for CR1?

June 05, 2007 Interviewed and she said he was approved, kept passport and said will recieve in 4 days.

June 12, 2007 VISA IN HAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2007 Hasan arrived in the USA and so very happy!

June 26, 2007 Applied for SSN

July 06, 2007 SSN in hand

July 25, 2007 Green Card in Hand!

Aug 13, 2007 Behind the wheel test, Passed. Now has California DL

I-751

Mar 26, 2009 Sent in I-751

Mar 28, 2009 Proof received

April 1, 2009 check cashed

April 3, 2009 NOA Received

April 16,2009 received bio appt letter

April 24, 2009 Biometrics Appointment

June 6, 2009 Removal of Conditions Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 17, 2009 10 Year Green Card in hand!

yes angie, u are exactly RIGHT!! lol

I also was in shock when i went to plug in my hair dryer...lol- Dont bring your electrical devices, we tried using the converters and it burnt up my stuff. Luckily, my husband has sisters and I used their stuff. The plane ride is LONG! i brought 3 personal dvd players to keep myself occupied. I cant sit still...lol I know this has got to be very nervous for u but exciting as well. I wish u the best and hope that your wedding goes great! Maybe u should bring the form G325A with you so you can have your husband sign it. In fact bring all the forms with you so when u get back u can hurry and file it before the rates go up at the end of July. Good Luck!!!

I enjoyed Jordan very much but there is NO PLACE LIKE HOME!!

Ok I married last July in Jordan but not in a Christian Church. I had to pay in the embassy american money for the paper and my husband had to wirte what they wanted in Arabic on the paper. DOn't forget the blood test and having all the papers translated into Arabic and his into English. make sure if he plans to have you go to a salon that either you can speak arabic or have some one there that can speak engilsh. I tri[pped out when they shaved my arms, I guess it is normal to wax them but I wasn't sure what they where saying so the shaved them.

Hope you have been advised that as soon as you get off the plane in Jordan you need to go to the little booth right as soon as you come down the ramp and change money so you have JOrdanian Dinairs so that you can step a couple of steps to the next booth and pay for the visa to be stamped in your passport before you go to get in the lines to be checked through. I only went one time but loved it. A couple of the ladies here helped me to be able to get this far when I arrived. I hope that you will be staying where western toliets are and if not be in for a very big surpirse. you will abousloutley love the food so don't be afraid to try it. The coffee beware unless you like a triple expresso. Take baby wipes, and tooth paste as the floride is much different then what we are accustom too.

Ok I have to go to sleep, please pm me or any of the others that went to jordan if you have any questions.

Angie

Ok I have to make myself clear the only reaon I don't want to go to JOrdan is because my husband arrives in American today or else I would love to go.

I forgot about the convertor thing I bought one at Best Buy that would support my laptop and digital cameras but there are 2 different convertors one for appliances that heat and are high wattage.

I was very nervous about the plane ride since I had only flown once before and that was a two hour flight when I was 17 so 21 years later I was going to take an 18 hour plance trip each way. I live in Cali so I had to fly cali to NY then NY to Amman. I was in transit for 22 hours. wear comfortable cloths and I wore socks with slip on shoes so that I could get through security easily and so during the flight I could be comfortable. I took snacks in my carry on, granola bars, beef jerky stuff like that and bottled water. I also took a squish pillow and a couple of books. Make sure to really make your luggauge unique. tie ribbions of different colors and colorful stuff so that when you get to your destinations they all don't look the same. Take lots of pictures and make sure if you go siteseeing you take photos of the two of you together.

3rd circle Shawrama is a must have.

Have lots of fun. May your wedding be all you dreamed it would be.

Jul 20, 2006 Arrived in Amman, Jordan

Jul 24, 2006 Married in Amman, Jordan

Oct 11, 2006 I130 Approval Oct. 26, 2006 I129F Approval

Nov. 8, 2006 Recieved letter that I-129 was sent to Amman, Jordan

Dec 13, 2006 Recieved Package from Amman Embassy for K3 Intreview date Aug. 15,2007

Mar 05,2007 Embassy called interview scheduled for March 19th

Mar 19, 2007 Interview for K3- AP

May 20, 2007 Embassy called for Hasan to send in his passport!!!

May 24, 2007 Recieved Interview date of June 5th for CR1?

June 05, 2007 Interviewed and she said he was approved, kept passport and said will recieve in 4 days.

June 12, 2007 VISA IN HAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 21, 2007 Hasan arrived in the USA and so very happy!

June 26, 2007 Applied for SSN

July 06, 2007 SSN in hand

July 25, 2007 Green Card in Hand!

Aug 13, 2007 Behind the wheel test, Passed. Now has California DL

I-751

Mar 26, 2009 Sent in I-751

Mar 28, 2009 Proof received

April 1, 2009 check cashed

April 3, 2009 NOA Received

April 16,2009 received bio appt letter

April 24, 2009 Biometrics Appointment

June 6, 2009 Removal of Conditions Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 17, 2009 10 Year Green Card in hand!

Angie

Hahahahahahahaha!!!! I thank God for a sense of humor and being adaptable. I just had to laugh with some things you shared because I relived all my experiences and adjustments that I had made while there for 3 months in Sahab (found just one place with amer.toilet.. it became my fav. restaurant :blush: that I visited 2-3 times a month). ... American toilet?? Safeway!!! hooray for Safeway in Amman.. it was my lil excursion. I'm so glad you added your post with such great info. Not sure where shes going but .. should check if theres hot water or need to boil it.. also if shower is available..if not prepare for the large container and cup or bowl). As for salon.. yep.. must be sure theres good communication..hmm .. I had sisterinlaw and husbnd translate that I didnt want my hair cut...but surprize... it was chopped before could say anything ..9-10 inches.. and my makeup..well, I was told it was "old arabic" style.. white ghost like foundation all over (im tanned like my husband) and colorful dark shadow and blush and major eyeliner. I really think it was the "coiffer" that messed up and I was just being comforted by hubby (via phone) and sisterinlaws. Ok.. I sort of got over it for the time being when I saw my husband and the parade of cars and people that awaited us. The dancing and music before we even got into the hall was beyond my dreams. Its only when I looked at pix taken there that I cringe. So when we got home I redid makeup and hair. .. as you can see in some of my pix posted.

All and All I must say my experience there was a mix of mostly dream come true, a comedy, at times a nitemare. The love and respect from my husband and the welcome that never wore out from his loving and hospitable family made allllll the difference. Alhumdulilah!!

Maggie

Hello Maggie,

I was reading other replies to your post and so glad you could get so much good info. I went there not knowing too much of the bits of info youre getting now. I stayed in an industrial area (I would say poorer part of Jordan) called Sahab. I've visited other areas of Jordan and would definately have to encourage you to be flexible and adaptable. I would first like to add that when I arrived in Jordan (Queen Alia airport) the bathroom there was very small (2 stalls i think.. no tp..and not so clean) Not sure if its changed since Feb 2007. When you go to change your money at small booth next to where you get visa, there may be someone who will approach you and offer to help expedite it.. I had a man come up to me.. i said I need to change money and get visa (he knew I was amer. and a bit lost..by experience i guess). He acted helpful.. showed me where to go.. (5 ft from where i stood) then after I changed my $50 to 32JD (you get a lil more for $ outside of airport) the "helpful man" took my passport from my hand and said here I will help you get visa. I saw him walk to next booth.. I proceeded to go after him a bit panicked..sayin "hey.. what are you doing ..my passport"..He came back quickly and I took it back and he said this woman (who was standing next to Exchange booth) can help you get it fast for 20JD more (visa cost 10JD). I looked at my helpful hustling man and said "No.. I can do this myself". I took maybe 5 steps and was in line for my visa which was a short line.

Now.. as for going to a salon.. definately be sure you are understood as to what you want and dont want. I would say triple and quadruple check on that prior to any scissors or hair color is put to your head or makeup to your face. As for being shaved.. i was rubberbanded (i guess you could call it that)..uhuh.. felt like little bee stings on my face to remove the hair. I'm not hairy either. I'm a tanned woman ..similar to my husband but was made up to be white with dark colorful eyeshadow and cheeks, and major eyeliner (sorta cleopatra-ish).. After showing multiple pix & relaying over and over.. hand motions, arabic, english that I didnt want hair cut.. maybe 1" trim.. the "coiffer" divided my hair.. then starting from back.. chopped 9-10 inches off. I looked down on the floor and almost died. I insisted on calling my husbnd.. and did.. saying "I want to go back to America!!! She cut 9-10" off.. " my husbnd tried to calm me.. as he got ready for our formal celebration. I'm sure this isnt common.. i don't think so..but just wanted to stress for you to be very sure you are understood for certain things that are important to you.

Also, I'm not sure what type of bathroom facility you might have there.. but they might not have running hot water.. and maybe no shower facility..but only faucet with cold water. In this case, hot water is made on stove.. then you transfr it to container in bathroom..add cold water.. then you dip small bowl or cup and proceed to have your bath (its easier to squat when doing this). And yes.. I agree.. have hand cleaner/sanitizer, baby wipes and tp with you at home and its good to have with you whenever you go out. Most bathrooms didnt have any available. Western toilets are not available everywhere.. Safeway in Amman has one.. and I heard Mcdonalds.. Not all shopping ctrs have them.

All and all my time in Jordan (3 months) was definately a dream come true.. maybe beyond what I dreamed of... I am referring to how wonderful, loving, respectful and beautiful my husband was and still is to me. His family welcomed me with open hearts and this continued. Really loved the food there too. Jordan is called "The land of hospitality" and I would say that 95% live up to it. I've never felt so much love like this in a long long time..I would have to say the only thing that comes near to it would be a womens revival I attended years ago. People will go out of their way desiring to make you comfortable and happy even if they didnt have much..they gave their best and I truly appreciated everything. We have a lot of freedom and advancement here in America..but sometimes for some .. its like what my mom used to say about raising kids.. you give um too much rope..they will hang themselves. We all need a balance to go with this freedom and advancement.. its wisdom,respect, love and appreciation (and a few other matters of the heart). Really hope you gain so much good and enjoy your time in Jordan with your love and new family. Being with your love really makes all the difference and worth whatever it takes (culture change.. long plane ride.. adapting.. adjusting..visa journey.. $$$) to be with him. Take care and God be with you always... Gwen

Filed: Country: Jordan
Timeline

Gosh Gwen I am sorry you had that happen.

Other then taxi drivers who tried to rip me off... Everyone was really nice.

Hi Maggie,

I married a Muslim man and he did most of the stuff before hand for me. I think because it is a muslim country they tend to make it harder on the christians. How long will you stay there? Can you extend it in any way?Do you have a hotel picked out yet? I lived in Sweileh near the Univeristy. Because of it being more relaxed there in that area and more liberal I had no problems at all.

Please travel with tp or wipes as almost all bathrooms have none. If you are over friendly with taxi drivers or if a man strikes up a converstation with you, they will ask you out, just a warning. DO NOT get into the front seat of any cars if you are not related to the man! Even if they hold the front passanger side open for you... I learned this the hard way!

Good luck and have alot of fun!

Wendy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.