Lingzy12

Possible to delay interview at Embassy?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

If there is no resurrgence of this pandemic or another variation of this pandemic, if goverments and business unilaterally come up with a comprehensive plan to react and contain this issue or other emergency situation, if the stars align....

You have your opinion, and mine differs. There are plenty of other websites and forums dedicated to this and it should not be hashed over here. 

Our opinions are conjecture.  But there are people here that are facing problems related to their CR1 expiring and trying to get it extended.  And people arranging convoluted flights, at significant cost, to get to the US because normal flights have been cancelled.  Even some that have signed blind vouchers to get on emergency repatriation flights.  That is real.

Past events are a guarantee of preventing future events only if the lessons learned are applied and addressed properly.  Otherwise history is doomed to repeat, as it does many times over.

At stake is the $680 removal of conditions fee.  I am discounting the risk of not applying ROC in time, because that also applies to the 10 year renewal or citizenship application or other applications.  It has just as much proper planning as this case of immigrating after the 2 year date from marriage but before the visa expires.

If the issue right now is to invest in a stock with a 99% sure bet of doubling your money, then yes, buy that stock for $680.  Very good odds of making $680, with the downside being, at worst, loosing $680.

The upside of immigrating after 2 years.  Save $680.  Save some time not filling out a form, attenting biometrics and another interview.  The downside:

• Very small risk of interruption to travel, due to resurgence of covid 19 or another pandemic or other global crisis.
  • Employment offers or transfer need to be rejected or changed.
  • Travel plans need to be changed.  Even if change fees are waived, chances are more than likely a higher fare difference will need to payed, as well as incidental costs such as last minute lodging.
  • If the delay is of significant duration, then lease agreements will need to be broken at the destination, and temporary housing will need to be arranged in the current country.
  • If the day of travel was close to the expiry date of the spouse visa, then a new medical and police report will need to be obtained and the embassy will have to be contacted and convinced to extend the visa.

If the OP believes the $680 is worth the risks and associated costs above, even if it is only 1% likely, then they should wait and travel after Jan 14, 2021.  I would not take that risk.

19 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

At stake is the $680 removal of conditions fee.  I am discounting the risk of not applying ROC in time, because that also applies to the 10 year renewal or citizenship application or other applications.  It has just as much proper planning as this case of immigrating after the 2 year date from marriage but before the visa expires.

If the issue right now is to invest in a stock with a 99% sure bet of doubling your money, then yes, buy that stock for $680.  Very good odds of making $680, with the downside being, at worst, loosing $680.

The upside of immigrating after 2 years.  Save $680. 

I don't know if 2nd (and 3rd) waves of Covid are coming are not. Let doctors and pundits argue about that. What I'm telling you is that there will be no more closures and shutdowns like we have seen so far. Only masks and distancing are here to stay. If you don't understand that then that's fine by me. These are not my opinions but objective assessment. 

Your analogy to stocks investment is, to put it mildly, wrong, besides it is actually other way around. If one was to take your advice, then they will stand to "bet" (to use your terms) a few (early) months of time as LPR against EVERYTHING!

Unfortunately, your thought process is completely wrong on the subject. It's not "only" about the fee, which is probably least of your worries. It's the rest of the factors that are most important. By entering as IR you are removing all 4 factors from the equation. The factors at stake are:

1. fee

2. local USCIS interview

3. removal of CR based on marriage

4. strict window when to apply for removal of CR

Re#1: The fee (whatever is going to be in 2 years) is not a chump change. Why pay it if you don't have to. As simple as that.

Re#2: You must not understand that live interview and dealing with local uscis officials is not as simple as overseas i-130 approval. There are many things that can and go wrong during such interviews.

Re#3: One of the most important aspects, if relationship turns sour, new immigrant is in jeopardy.

Re#4: The application window is very strict and if you miss it you are in removal. 

#2,3,4 are extremely hard to assess yet the repercussions are huge. 

Your "discounting" of #4 and analogy given to 10yr renewal or citizenship is also wrong. You have much more time to renew 10yr GC and in fact majority of people never renew 10yr GC as they are USC by that time. And one can apply for USC as any moment they wish (provided they meet the criteria). On the other hand, CR removal window is set strictly and if you miss it because you are busy living everyday life or due to unexpected personal circumstances then you are done!

Let's "settle" this by reminding OP's original post: She wanted to know what can she do (including postponing interview/entrance etc) to get IR instead of CR. She seemed to understand and correctly value importance of IR status (over CR) even if you don't. And to be clear: I don't mean to be judgmental, perhaps you have "subjective" reasons (as many do) that would make you enter a few months earlier as CR instead of IR. Forget about what I think, it's OP that clearly had reasons to go IR route.     

Edited by Punisher

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.