Ermehgerdd

Help Interpreting US/Ireland/U.K. Travel Requirements

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So I am slated to visit my fiance in Northern Ireland this coming Monday, June 8th. I am arriving in Dublin where he will pick me up from the airport to drive to his residence in Northern Ireland. We have his visa medical exam in London on June 10th. We intended to fly from Belfast to Heathrow June 9th and return June 10th.  We plan to stay at home for the entire trip except for the medical exam and will be keeping our distance as much as possible. My return flight home is June 15th. Will we still be able to do this with the 14-day self quarantine requirement? Has anyone recently traveled to the U.K. from the U.S.? Can anyone offer any informed insight as to what I can expect?

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
6 minutes ago, Ermehgerdd said:

So I am slated to visit my fiance in Northern Ireland this coming Monday, June 8th. I am arriving in Dublin where he will pick me up from the airport to drive to his residence in Northern Ireland. We have his visa medical exam in London on June 10th. We intended to fly from Belfast to Heathrow June 9th and return June 10th.  We plan to stay at home for the entire trip except for the medical exam and will be keeping our distance as much as possible. My return flight home is June 15th. Will we still be able to do this with the 14-day self quarantine requirement? Has anyone recently traveled to the U.K. from the U.S.? Can anyone offer any informed insight as to what I can expect?

Thanks.

This is a pretty good resource for travel https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Ireland

Published 29.05.2020
Passengers arriving in Ireland (Rep.) are required to self-quarantine for 14 days and complete a Public Health Passenger Locator Form.
- This does not apply when arriving from Northern Ireland. 
- This does not apply to passengers with a diplomatic passport.

United Kingdom
Published 12.05.2020
No regulations related to Coronavirus (COVID-19) implemented.

United States
Published 27.05.2020
1. Passengers who have transited or have been in Austria, Belgium, Brazil, China (People's Rep.), Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Iran, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or in the United Kingdom (excluding overseas territories outside of Europe), in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter the USA.
-This does not apply to:
- nationals and permanent residents of the USA;
(and so on....)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

This is a pretty good resource for travel https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Ireland

Published 29.05.2020
Passengers arriving in Ireland (Rep.) are required to self-quarantine for 14 days and complete a Public Health Passenger Locator Form.
- This does not apply when arriving from Northern Ireland. 
- This does not apply to passengers with a diplomatic passport.

United Kingdom
Published 12.05.2020
No regulations related to Coronavirus (COVID-19) 

Thank you. At first glance, I'm not quite sure how to use the IATA site but will look into it further.

My questions revolve around the notice posted on the GOV.UK site: https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control regarding new requirements beginning June 8th.

The Irish government has already implement the 14 day self-quarantine requirement but it appears travelers who are not going to be residing in Ireland are exempt from this. So I believe I would be exempt as we are just passing through Ireland on our way to NI.

However, the UK may also begin to require 14 day self-quarantine as of June 8th.  There is a possible exception for those coming from Ireland to the NI, though. I guess my questions are:

Will I have to report self quarantine information given the exemptions between Ireland and NI and NI and England? Will I be allowed to travel from Belfast to London one day after entering through Dublin? Will we be allowed to return to Belfast from London the next day? Will I be penalized/prevented from returning home to the US prior to the end of 14 day quarantine? What is/are truly the best decision(s) here?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, Ermehgerdd said:

Additionally,  who would I even direct these questions to absent this forum? The US

Embassy in London?

The US Embassy in London wouldn’t be the one to ask about travel. It seems like the appropriate border control agency for each country to be entered would be the place to check.

Breaking it down 

JUNE 8. US fiancé arrives in Dublin, IRELAND. Fill out form and self-isolate for 14 days. (Until June 22?) Northern Ireland fiancé entering Ireland by car, no restrictions. This looks like what you need to sort out. 
Resource for info https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/e885b2-covid-19-coronavirus-travel-advice/

JUNE 9. Flight from Belfast, NI, UNITED KINGDOM > London, England, UNITED KINGDOM. All within UK so no restrictions.

JUNE 10. Return to NI. All travel within U.K. so no restrictions.

JUNE 15. US fiancé returns to US. Citizens are not restricted from entering.

My personal opinion. Stay home and let your fiancé do his medical without the extra hassle of an international tourist. Do the responsible thing and stay home to protect yourself and others. We are in a pandemic. It is not holiday season. There is no urgent reason you have stated for you to go. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.