Tina T

K1 Visa Interview - Italy - Covid 19

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello and thank you for any info you can provide.  I am the US Petitioner of an I129F for a K1 visa.  My Fiance lives in Castelfiorentino, ITALY.  On Sept 4th, 2019 my I-129F was accepted by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services.  It was approved on Dec 31 and mailed to the National Visa Processing Center.  The National Visa Processing Center received it in late Jan and notified us it was on its way to the embassy in Naples, ITALY.  My fiancé completed his DS160 but to set his interview with the embassy, we needed to have all necessary paperwork in hand.  We prepared almost all the documents prior to the approval.  However, police checks are time sensitive so we waited for the approval to request them. My fiancé needed them for Italy, France and Australia.  Unfortunately the Australian document – that shows he has no record in Australia – took nearly 6 weeks to arrive.  My fiance received it on the same day the Covid 19 lockdown in Italy began.  Our USCIS approval was about to expire on 4/30 so I contacted the Italy Embassy. about an extension and scheduling an interview  I received this response:

thank you for your email. Your request for I-129F extension has been approved for 4 months.

The U.S. Consulate General in Naples, Italy has suspended routine visa appointments and cannot issue visas to any individual subject to the Presidential Proclamation.  We will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time. 

Please continue to monitor our website to schedule an appointment as slots become available again. Applicants must appear in person for their interviews. 

The following website provides more information on the Presidential Proclamation  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-19-visa-services-and-restrictions.html

Regards,

Immigrant Visa Unit

U.S. Consulate General

Naples, Italy

Does the presidential proclamation apply to K1 visas?  I do not see them listed specifically but it does exclude spouses and their children.  So would K1 fall under this as an exclusion or the proclamation is also for IMMIGRANT visas and the K1 is technically considered a NON-IMMIGRANT visa until the fiancé arrives, marries the petitioner and applies for an adjustment of status so could it be exempt as a non-immigrant visa.  We are frustrated and heart broken not able to see each other at all. We would like to know how we can continue to move our case forward and get my fiance to the US safely and asap.  The interview and the required medical exam must take place in Naples.  Naples is a 5-6 hour drive from Castelfiorentino.   We are so close.  Any guidance and helpful information regarding the proclamation and/or our options anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.    

There's nothing to do until routine visa services resume at the consulate.

The best information available is that K-1 are not subject to the latest EO. Formal confirmation won't be possible until DOS provides guidance or people are actually issued them. I have seen at least 1 issued since the EO, although it was an emergency situation already (or else they wouldn't have been able to interview in the first place).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
13 minutes ago, geowrian said:

There's nothing to do until routine visa services resume at the consulate.

The best information available is that K-1 are not subject to the latest EO. Formal confirmation won't be possible until DOS provides guidance or people are actually issued them. I have seen at least 1 issued since the EO, although it was an emergency situation already (or else they wouldn't have been able to interview in the first place).

So as it stands he should be able to interview when embassy opens back up, regardless of proclamation?

3 minutes ago, Tina T said:

So as it stands he should be able to interview when embassy opens back up, regardless of proclamation?

That's a decision up to the consulate who they interview, but I would expect that to be the case.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.