aj1

Good middle eastern reciepes!

54 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

the two easiest recipes from egypt.. I make them WAY too much :) is the baked rice with milk.. and potatoes (with tomatoes, onions, alot of garlic and olive oil)...

my SIL makes them every time for me.. I love it..

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

How do you make mouloukhia??? I'm going to Egypt Saturday and that is my husband's favorite food (mouloukhia with rice and chicken). I could do the rice & chicken......but the mouloukhia seems a little complicated.

I could by the frozen basma bags of mouloukhia.....but then what? Is there a recipe in the sultan's kitchen?

The Egyptian dishes I make most often are....mouloukhia, koshari, firakh meshwiyya (with potatoes), lahma bi pisella or bamia, baba ganoug, fuul, kefta and fried cauliflower (karnabeet). My next experiment will be goolash (not Hungarian).

I-130

8/07/06 mailed I-130 to VSC

8/17/06 NOA1

12/14/06 NOA2

1/24/07 sent I-824 to have I-130 forwarded to NVC

6/15/07 NVC case # assigned.............It's about time!!

9/16/07 case complete after 2 RFE's for DS230

10/9/07 Interview

10/16/07 VISA!!

I-129F

9/10/06 mailed I-129F

9/19/06 NOA1

12/15/06 NOA2

1/09/07 Packet 3 received from Cairo Embassy

2/12/07 Packet 3 returned to Cairo Embassy

5/6/07 Interview..........It's about time!!

ضَاقتْ فلّما استَحْكمَتْ حَلقا تها فُرِجَتْ..................وَ كِدْتُ أظنها لا تفرجُ

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline
Esalaam

The pinned thread above is good start,as well as the recipe file started by Bosco. See link below.

Here are some additional links:

http://www.sudairy.com/mer/recipes.html

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/find/bro...owse&att=20

www.arabicnews.com/recipes/recipes.com

www.ziyad.com/pages/Recipes.com

www.knowledgehound.com/topics/middleer.com

And some cookbooks I suggest are:

A Vegan Taste of the Middle East by Linda Majzlik

Food Culture in the Near East, Middle East, and North Africa from Greenwood Publishing

North African Cookery by Arto der Haroutunian

Lebanese Cuisine: More Than 250 Authentic Recipes from the Most Elegant Middle Eastern Cuisine by Anissa Helou

The Arab Table: Recipes and Culinary Traditions by May S. Bsisu

The Middle Eastern Cookbook by Maria Khalife

Couscous and Other Good Foods from Morocco by Paula Wolfert

The New Book of Middle Eastern Food byClaudia Roden (classic) Spice: Flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean by Ana Sortun

A Taste of Thyme: Culinary Cultures of the Middle East by Richard Tapper

Forums:

http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewforum.zsp?f=59

http://z10.invisionfree.com/MENA_Recipes/index.php?

Other non-MENA yet helpful cooking sites:

http://www.chowhound.com/

http://www.foodsiteoftheday.com/

http://www.1worldrecipes.com/

http://whttp://www.reluctantgourmet.com

www.gourmetsleuth.com/

Hows the Vegan taste to the Middles East??? I was surprised to see that up there :)

It's funny.. I was telling my husband that I was on line looking at egyptian recipes.. He told me do not worry and that He will teach me :blink: ..

BAaaaahahahahaa..

My last trip I learned the only thing he can cook is fried potatoes (homemade french fries) He said he will cook for me.. I was SOOOO hungry.. and he was in the kitchen... I was hearing pots banging.. chopping knifes.. I swear I waited for HOURS!! i finally go into the kitchen.. EVERYTHING was a mess.. a pile of half shaved carrots.. Potatoe peels EVERYWHERE.. and the only thing cooking was a pan filled with oil and cut up potatoes!!!!!! :blink::blink:

:lol: that's too funny Dee! My fiance told me the same thing. He said he will teach me when he gets here i told him i will learn before he gets here!!! :thumbs:

AJ1

Esalaam/Hello/Salut

There are actually alot of vegan/vegatarian MENA cookbooks out there. MENA foods are very veg/vegan friendly.... Most dishes can just be made vegartarian by not adding the meat. But the cook I listed above, I do have and recommond highly. And even thou I am not a vegan, so I am healthy consicous and do enjoy vegan foods here and there. Number 1 vegan MENA food that comes to mind is falafel and hummous. Sooo good.

And ye they all say "I will teach you to cook" but let's face they were mostly pampered by their mothers and never had to cook any in day in their day. So hehehe I think we ever want to cook MENA foods we all should either learn from the women there or get some cookbooks, try some recipes for the ingredients list/techniques.... I never really follow the recipes...I just look the pictures and ingredient list and do my own thing. Cooking is so much ladies... enjoy!

Filed: Timeline

I don't think there's a recipe up there but I'll tell you how I make it....

1 whole chicken cut up and skin removed

4 (or more) large cloves of garlic, minced

1 small onion, diced

1-2 teaspoons cumin

1-2 teaspoons ground coriander (khuzbara)

salt and pepper to taste

1 packet frozen mouloukhia

Saute onion in a small amount of oil (1-2 T) until translucent. Add garlic and saute until browned. Add chicken, salt , pepper, cumin and coriander. Stir to coat chicken. Add water (about 1.5-2 cups). Cover and cook for 45 mins or until chicken is cooked through. Check and stir once in awhile. Remove cooked chicken to a plate and add defrosted mouloukhia (I defrost in the microwave). Add more water if needed, the mouloukhia shouldn't be too thick nor too watery. Add additional salt, pepper and spices if needed. Serve with white rice or riz bi shariyya (rice with vermicelli).

How do you make mouloukhia??? I'm going to Egypt Saturday and that is my husband's favorite food (mouloukhia with rice and chicken). I could do the rice & chicken......but the mouloukhia seems a little complicated.

I could by the frozen basma bags of mouloukhia.....but then what? Is there a recipe in the sultan's kitchen?

The Egyptian dishes I make most often are....mouloukhia, koshari, firakh meshwiyya (with potatoes), lahma bi pisella or bamia, baba ganoug, fuul, kefta and fried cauliflower (karnabeet). My next experiment will be goolash (not Hungarian).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

OH....Thanks so much!

I'm gonna print it out and make it one day while he's at work.....I'll start it early enough in the day so that if I mess it up royally, I'll still have time to order a pizza or something before he comes home!

1 small onion, diced

1-2 teaspoons cumin

salt and pepper to taste

Saute onion in a small amount of oil (1-2 T) until translucent. Add garlic and saute until browned. Add chicken, salt , pepper, cumin and coriander. Stir to coat chicken. Add water (about 1.5-2 cups). Cover and cook for 45 mins or until chicken is cooked through. Check and stir once in awhile. Remove cooked chicken to a plate and add defrosted mouloukhia (I defrost in the microwave). Add more water if needed, the mouloukhia shouldn't be too thick nor too watery. Add additional salt, pepper and spices if needed. Serve with white rice or riz bi shariyya (rice with vermicelli).

I-130

8/07/06 mailed I-130 to VSC

8/17/06 NOA1

12/14/06 NOA2

1/24/07 sent I-824 to have I-130 forwarded to NVC

6/15/07 NVC case # assigned.............It's about time!!

9/16/07 case complete after 2 RFE's for DS230

10/9/07 Interview

10/16/07 VISA!!

I-129F

9/10/06 mailed I-129F

9/19/06 NOA1

12/15/06 NOA2

1/09/07 Packet 3 received from Cairo Embassy

2/12/07 Packet 3 returned to Cairo Embassy

5/6/07 Interview..........It's about time!!

ضَاقتْ فلّما استَحْكمَتْ حَلقا تها فُرِجَتْ..................وَ كِدْتُ أظنها لا تفرجُ

1 small onion, diced

1-2 teaspoons cumin

salt and pepper to taste

that sounds fantastic....... but what is mouloukhia? :blush:

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

at one point my husband's sisters moved out for like two months or something leaving him all alone and he lost almost ten pounds 'cause he only knows how to make tea. :P Whenever his oldest sister gets p!ssed at him she says, "i hope you have a wife that doesn't know how to cook!!!" lol

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline
Mouloukhia aka Jew's mallow is a type of green. It's from the same family as okra so it tends to be kinda "slimy" like okra.

oooooooooh that stuff! i tried that a few months ago at an egyptian restaurant and had NO idea what that was. :wacko: flavor was good, but not liking the slimy texture.

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

i really enjoy looking through the recipes on this site because you can search by country, course, and ingredients: http://www.gourmed.gr/greek-recipes/recipe_home.asp

i think the only recipe i've tried was the bourek and it was gooooooooooood :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Algeria
Timeline
i really enjoy looking through the recipes on this site because you can search by country, course, and ingredients: http://www.gourmed.gr/greek-recipes/recipe_home.asp

i think the only recipe i've tried was the bourek and it was gooooooooooood :thumbs:

I cooked bourek today, mmmmm good!!!

Meriem (F)

glitterfy200428648Z.gif

Timeline
Mouloukhia aka Jew's mallow is a type of green. It's from the same family as okra so it tends to be kinda "slimy" like okra.

Moody: I have only come across the frozen variety in Dearborn. Have you ever seen the fresh?

Holly: To add more to what Moody said molokheya is an annual herb. Many mistake it for spinach. In the Middle East, it is grown for its leaves. (In India, it is grown for the fibres in its stem. ) There are several ways to cook it. In Egypt it is a natioanl dish, but are variations of from Syria, Lebanon, and Tunisia.The perferred way to make Molokheya is with rabbit, using the soup for Molokheya. But, since rabbit is a delicacy, and often pricey, one can use other meat, such as beef, or more commonly chicken. There is even a dish of Molokheya with shrimp in coastal areas. Molokheya is served with plain rice, or with full wheat flat bread. It is also customary to have a red tomato sauce (دمعة dem'a).

Also on another note bourek is one the most easiest things to make. Well actually all of Algerian dishes so simple to make...but esp bourek...and everyone loves it! I love ones with spinach and the ones with seafood filling (but the traditional lahma hachee is great too!) Mmmmmm!!! I also the Marocain and Bosnian versions.

Timeline

And here is a preparation of molokheya in the Oranisse style:

2lb(1kg)beef or lamb

( 1lb500g )of mloukhia

1 onion chopped

1 spoon coriandre chopped

1/2 spoon (cuil)has C pepper

1/2 spoon (cuil) ginger

saffron

salt

olive oil

Brown the pieces of meat in oil with onion chops for 5min then add spices, water and to let cook.

1/4h before cooking put the molokheya in a small bowl place it in the center of the tajine and to sprinkle with sauce of time has other. At the end of the cooking add the molokheya your tajine and olive oil. Until cooked.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.