Daniellecc

already have a SSN... HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP

6 posts in this topic

Hello...

well, I am in the US already :-) ... harder than I thought... anyways. I lived and worked here abut 3 or 4 years ago so I have my social security card from then... so I went to get a driver's licence but turns out that the systems of the DMV and SSN are tied in... so if teh name doesn't match then they can not do anything, the problem is that I am from Venezuela, in South America we have two last names, our father's and our mother's...usually I just use my dad's, so obviously my social security card has only my main last name becasue when you fill out the form there is only space for a middle name wich I do not have, but in my passport since it is from Venezuela both last names are used... so... my social security card name doesn't mathc my passport name (according to them) of course it matches they just do not understand the two last name thing so they see my main last name as a middle name... so I could nto get my licence unless I change my social security card name... (we have not gotten married yet)... so I went to the social security office to change my name, turns out tehy tell me they can not make any changes to my card unless I have a work permit!!!! why? I asked, she said they can not do it unless I have a woek permit wich I do not, becasue I didn't get it at the port of entry, the ins office is 5 hours from here and I have heard tehy are not issuing those anymore (correct me if anyone has gotten one in the past week or so, let me know, not teh EAD but teh 90 day work permit) so, if I was applying for a new social security card becasue I have never had one, I coudl get one without the work permit, but since I already have one I can not make changes unless I have the permit... that is what I have been reading... anyways.... if there is anyone in this situation please please I would aprecite your help, because no one seems to be able to tell em anything... PLEASE!!! ANYONE who is or has been in this situation HELP!!!!

DANI

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You might do better if you post your question in the correct section :)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showforum=115

Sept 10 I-129F sent to TSC

Interview - February 13th APPROVED! day 152

April 6 - wedding date day 204

Aug 22 - AOS interview date day 101-total days 342

Sept 29 - green card arrives, done until June 2008 day 140-total days 381

June 30 - I-751 mailed total days 1025

March 9 - Removal of Conditions approved! total days 1277

Filed: Timeline
I lived and worked here abut 3 or 4 years ago so I have my social security card from then... so I went to get a driver's licence but turns out that the systems of the DMV and SSN are tied in... so if teh name doesn't match then they can not do anything, the problem is that I am from Venezuela, in South America we have two last names, our father's and our mother's...usually I just use my dad's, so obviously my social security card has only my main last name becasue when you fill out the form there is only space for a middle name wich I do not have, but in my passport since it is from Venezuela both last names are used... so... my social security card name doesn't match my passport name (according to them) of course it matches they just do not understand the two last name thing so they see my main last name as a middle name... so I could nto get my licence unless I change my social security card name... (we have not gotten married yet)... so I went to the social security office to change my name, turns out tehy tell me they can not make any changes to my card unless I have a work permit!!!! why? I asked, she said they can not do it unless I have a woek permit wich I do not, becasue I didn't get it at the port of entry, the ins office is 5 hours from here and I have heard tehy are not issuing those anymore (correct me if anyone has gotten one in the past week or so, let me know, not teh EAD but teh 90 day work permit) so, if I was applying for a new social security card becasue I have never had one, I coudl get one without the work permit, but since I already have one I can not make changes unless I have the permit...

You should be able to apply for an SSN card with the name that's listed on your I-94 without your having a work authorization document or in your married name after getting married if your marriage certificate has your age or date of birth.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The applicant may submit either:

-- One legal name change document showing both the old and new names

(e.g., a court order for a name change or a marriage document). The

document must also show either (1) a description or photograph of

the person or (2) biographical information that can be compared with

the Numident data; or

-- When the name change document does not show either a photograph of

the person or biographical information that can be compared with the

Numident data, then, in addition to the name change document, the

applicant must also submit two acceptable identity documents. One

of the submitted identity documents must show the old name (the name

on the latest Numident record) AND the other submitted identity

document must show the new name (the name to be shown on the

corrected SSN card). The identity documents submitted must show

either a photograph of the applicant or provide biographical

information that can be compared with the Numident data.

Note: For a marriage document or marriage record to be acceptable as an identity document it must show, in addition to the applicant’s name, either the applicant’s age, date of birth or parents’ names and the marriage document alone can be accepted as evidence of identity for both the old and new names when it meets this standard.

When issuing immigration documents, the Department of State and DHS issue them in the person’s legal name. The legal name is also generally the name in which the foreign passport was issued.

When an alien applies for an SSN card, we presume the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

In cases where an alien applies for a replacement SSN card and submits an immigration document showing a name that is different from the name on the prior SSN record, accept the immigration document as evidence of the legal name. In these cases, the prior SSN card may have been issued in a name that was not the NH’s legal name.

This is in addition to proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

You can find detailed information regarding changing SSN record (Numident) data on our Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

Remember that immigration status must always be verified before an SSN card can be issued.

An individual with K-1 status applying for a work authorized SSN replacement card must present evidence to establish his or her identity and current lawful employment authorized status. Your I-94 with your passport will serve as both proof of identity and work authorization for the first 76 days.

SSA will not assign an SSN or issue a card to an individual that is within 14 days of his or her alien status expiring. Until the 76th day after entry an individual with K-1 status only needs to provide an unexpired I-94 showing current K-1 status to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

Once, an individual with K-1 status has been in the United States 76 days he or she will need another document, i.e. I-551, I-688B or I-766 to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500#C1

RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410

RM 00202.105 Form SS-5 Item 1 — Name:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100202105

b. Names Not Entered in Correct Spaces or Applicant Has Multiple/Part Middle or Last Name

If the names are not entered in the correct spaces, or if the applicant has a multiple-part middle or last name, place a small:

“1” over the first letter of the first name,

“2” above the middle name(s) or initial(s), and

“3” above the first letter of the last name or multiple-part last name.

6. Hispanic Names

Some Hispanics display their names differently than the usual U.S. custom of first name, middle name and a single surname (usually the father's family name).

EXAMPLE 1: A man ordinarily uses his given name with his father's surname followed by his mother's maiden name, e.g., “Juan Santiago Perez” , son of Arturo Santiago and Elena Perez.

EXAMPLE 2: A married woman can use her maiden name, or her maiden name followed by her husband's surname, or her maiden name followed by a “de” and her husband's surname. The names “Maria Rodriquez”, “Maria Rodriquez Perez”, and “Maria Rodriquez de Perez” could all be used by the same woman.

Make sure the applicant's name on line 1 agrees with the name as shown on the document used to establish identity.

Caution the applicant to be consistent in using the name, especially when using the name to work. If he/she changes his/her name from that shown on SSA's records, he/she should file another Form SS-5 and submit evidence supporting the name change to receive a corrected SSN card.

BTW Which SSA office did you go to?

Edited by mdyoung

well...

Thank you for trying to help... Althought I think you don't understand... I knwo I can apply for a ssn, the problem is that I ALREADY have one... so... they tell me I can not change anything on it unless I have work permit... if didn't have a social security already I would not need the work permit, the problem is that I already have one but need to change it...

Filed: Timeline
well...

Thank you for trying to help... Althought I think you don't understand... I knwo I can apply for a ssn, the problem is that I ALREADY have one... so... they tell me I can not change anything on it unless I have work permit... if didn't have a social security already I would not need the work permit, the problem is that I already have one but need to change it...

If you read what I posted you can be issued a replacement card based on your K-1 status and I-94. You can get the card in the name that currently on your I-94 or in your married name if the marriage certificate has your age or date of birth. As long as you apply and the application is processed before you have been here 76 days you only need your I-94. After that time you then need an EAD card or I-551.

hi...

well thank you for your help... we finally were able to talk to a human being in the social security offices and they said tehre is nothing we can do.... I can not change teh name unless I have work authorization (new thing I guess)... unless when we get married... becasue the problem is my two latina american last names... ... she said that I can only change it without teh permit if I get married, so I guess we will just wait until then to change the social security card and tehn get teh driver's licence... oh well.... Thanks anyways.

Danielle

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.