AR in the Philippines?

40 posts in this topic

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The letter finally arrived and it’s not much help in telling us what the reason is for having a second interview. It basically says to show up for an interview on the 25th at 8 AM. I sure wish they would give a little written description on what they need to interview her about. I’m still think its question about the medical but It makes me worry that she will arrive there for the interview and then they ask her for something like more proof or a document. She won’t have it of course because there is no way for us to prepare for something when we don’t know the reason. So another AR and then wait again!!! This whole process seems to be set up for failure more then success. Good thing we have sites like this to discuss the problems that are encountered along the way. Otherwise I’m sure there would be allot more denials!

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Well my fiancee just had her second interview and I was right the problem was because of the mental evauation! The second interview was no interview though! They asked her no question all they did was read the medical. The part about her mental evaluation. Then they said they will have to send her package to the US to see if they will let her have the visa. Has anybody else had a case like this? I have never heard anything like this. They usally give the visa or not but I never heard about a petition being sent to the US for evaluation of appoval!

Timeline
Well my fiancee just had her second interview and I was right the problem was because of the mental evauation! The second interview was no interview though! They asked her no question all they did was read the medical. The part about her mental evaluation. Then they said they will have to send her package to the US to see if they will let her have the visa. Has anybody else had a case like this? I have never heard anything like this. They usally give the visa or not but I never heard about a petition being sent to the US for evaluation of appoval!

well that is good I guess.. why are they so concern about her mental evaluation?

Thanks Jasman but if there was a document missing wouldn’t they have asked about it in the interview? My fiancée said everything went very smooth and she had everything they asked for. She said they never really questioned her papers.

Thanks Mrs.mnez. She has called just before I left her but all they say is that it’s still in processing. At the time I didn’t think that possibly the case had been put on an AR. I want to call because she seem to be reluctant to question or press for more of an explanation. Do they charge to give info out on the number you gave me? If they don’t it's probably cheaper for me to call actually. My rate to the Philippines is 16 cents a minute. She has been calling what she calling the Hotline. I’m not sure what the Hotline number is but every call is about $6 US.

We had a missing document, Claudeth forgot to get her German police clearance translated. Once we got the document to the right people there (window 17-20) it was about 3 more days and the visa was issued. When I was calling the embassy I would call (632) 528-6300 and then select the option for the extension. I would go to extension 5184 or 5185. The lady at 5184 was very helpful for us. I would normally call at 8:00am Manila time and get right in. If the line is busy just re-enter the extension number. Good luck

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline

I’m not so sure that this is good. This is our second interview and she has passed the requirements for the visa. Our problem is St. Luke’s and there blanket response to suspected mental heath problems. My fiancée has no issues with her mental heath but she has a scare on her arm and that is what started this whole mess with the Embassy. When she went for her medical everything went well but the doctor saw the scare about half way up her arm. She has about four 1" slices in the fleshy part of the arm that happened when she fell on some glass last fall because of this they wanted to do a mental evaluation to make sure she is not suicidal. The other reason was that her husband died of cancer and also her oldest son died with complication at the hospital. This all happened a decade ago but they wanted to make sure she didn’t suffer from depression. No problem because she DOESNT and I know this for sure because my first wife had depression issues so im very familiar with it! I know that must have been a very bad time for her but she is a very happy caring person. She has a wonderful daughter to prove that but anyway she thought the talk with therapists went very well. She explains about her scare and that of course she was not happy to loose her husband and son at that time but she has no mental problems because of that. The report that was written made no mention of what my fiancee told the therapists! It only stated that she could be harmful to other and herself and it looked like a canned response that was not individualized at all. So at the interview they told her that per petition will be sent back to the US for further review and they will let her know about the visa.

I swear this process is set up to let you fail!! We could have prepared for this but the letter stating that she needed to go back for a second interview but told us nothing to prepare for. We could have had a second opinion if we would have known.

Has anybody out there had there petition sent back to the US like this? How long did it take? Is there anyway to fight this with a second opinion?

Edited by KTMguy

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I’m not so sure that this is good. This is our second interview and she has passed the requirements for the visa. Our problem is St. Luke’s and there blanket response to suspected mental heath problems. My fiancée has no issues with her mental heath but she has a scare on her arm and that is what started this whole mess with the Embassy. When she went for her medical everything went well but the doctor saw the scare about half way up her arm. She has about four 1" slices in the fleshy part of the arm that happened when she fell on some glass last fall because of this they wanted to do a mental evaluation to make sure she is not suicidal. The other reason was that her husband died of cancer and also her oldest son died with complication at the hospital. This all happened a decade ago but they wanted to make sure she didn’t suffer from depression. No problem because she DOESNT and I know this for sure because my first wife had depression issues so im very familiar with it! I know that must have been a very bad time for her but she is a very happy caring person. She has a wonderful daughter to prove that but anyway she thought the talk with therapists went very well. She explains about her scare and that of course she was not happy to loose her husband and son at that time but she has no mental problems because of that. The report that was written made no mention of what my fiancee told the therapists! It only stated that she could be harmful to other and herself and it looked like a canned response that was not individualized at all. So at the interview they told her that per petition will be sent back to the US for further review and they will let her know about the visa.

I swear this process is set up to let you fail!! We could have prepared for this but the letter stating that she needed to go back for a second interview but told us nothing to prepare for. We could have had a second opinion if we would have known.

Has anybody out there had there petition sent back to the US like this? How long did it take? Is there anyway to fight this with a second opinion?

Was she issued the 221g? If so, what did it say? Did it say it is being sent back to the Department of Homeland Security, or the CIS for further review?

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Timeline

Was she issued the 221g? If so, what did it say? Did it say it is being sent back to the Department of Homeland Security, or the CIS for further review?

She did get a 221G on her first interview but no 221G this time. They just told her that her papers will be sent back to the US for review and to wait for a letter from them. I’m trying to find a flight to Manila that leaving tomorrow. I want to talk to the visa department personally and I’m also having my fiancee get another therapist to test her mental state so I can bring that as more proof that she has no mental issues. I warn others of this happening because there was another there waiting for her interview that had the same problem......scares and mental heath association! Her case was handled just like my fiancées.

A warning to all.....

If anybodys fiancee has any form of mental evauation it probibly would pay to bring another opionon to your interview besides the one given at St. Lukes just incase.

i hope she gets the visa soon!

Lord blessed be Your name!

K1:

NOA 1 - March 31 2004

NOA 2 - July 7

to Manila - July 30

called embassy for interview date - Aug 17

Recvd K packet - Aug 24

CFO - Sept 7

Medical - Sept 15 & 16

Interview - Oct 8

Visa on hand - Oct 13 YES! thank You God!

POE - October 23

AOS & EAD:

Marriage at the beautiful St. Croix U.S. Virgin Islands - Nov 6

SSN - Nov 29

State ID - Dec 1

AOS & EAD applied for - Dec. 6

NOAs for AOS & EAD - recvd mail on Dec 15 but receipt date is Dec 8

got TD shot for AOS - Dec. 15 paid $15

passd written exam for DL- Jan 03 2005

Biometrics for EAD & AOS - Jan 10

Biometrics AGAIN (???) - Feb 2

EAD recved - Jan 29

recved AOS interview letter - march 2

AOS interview - april 27 SUCCESS!! Thank You so much God! You never fail.

welcome to America letter - may 2

recvd "green" card - may 5 2005

got driver's license - may 20

removing conditions:

lifting of conditions on GC - jan 31 2007

NOA date - february 06

recvd NOA - february 26

recvd biometrics apptmnt letter - march 2

biometrics appt - march 12

citizenship:

sent N-400: february 25, 2008

recved: february 27

priority date: february 27

notice date: march 4

recved NOA1: march 6

recved biometrics letter: march 10

biometrics: march 19

intrvw letter rec'd: april 3

intrvw: may 13 - APPROVED!

Oath - Sept. 17

US Passport - Sept 26

.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Might I suggest that you contact them immediately and ask them what all of this means? This one really has me confused. Why are they sending it back? What are they checking on? I guess it is possible that they are sending it back to Washington for security checks, but they wouldn't tell you to wait for the States to call you, the consulate would. If they sent it back to the CIS for further review then they would instruct you to wait for them to call, but the only think I know that she isn't eligible, and they would request that it be revoked. Now what has eligibility have to do with the scars on her arms? I am trying to search on the website the possibilities of ineligibility, and I do think mental state is one of them, but I was under the assumption that this would lead to a 212 denial. I have to admit though, this is an area I know little about.

Again, find out who is in charge of the consulate and see if you can talk to them. Suggest that if the scars are the issue, can you get a second opinion and take it in. I don't know if they would allow it since they have specific doctors they work with in each country.

Good luck, I wish you the best.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Thanks Jasman but if there was a document missing wouldn’t they have asked about it in the interview? My fiancée said everything went very smooth and she had everything they asked for. She said they never really questioned her papers.

Thanks Mrs.mnez. She has called just before I left her but all they say is that it’s still in processing. At the time I didn’t think that possibly the case had been put on an AR. I want to call because she seem to be reluctant to question or press for more of an explanation. Do they charge to give info out on the number you gave me? If they don’t it's probably cheaper for me to call actually. My rate to the Philippines is 16 cents a minute. She has been calling what she calling the Hotline. I’m not sure what the Hotline number is but every call is about $6 US.

So it is really administrative review. The number I gave you will only cost for the phone call. There was a 900 number that Claudeth called a couple of times but all that got us was a huge phone bill. It was about $20 each time she called. I hope the lady at 5184 can help you figure out what is going on. good luck :thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

I dont think they could deny for scars! I dont know anyone who is SCAR free !! Stuff happens, its life... don't let them send the petition back to the states! hope everything works out for you

Timeline

wow, this sucks. i have read other people posting about embassies sending petitions back to the united states (like morroco) but i hadn't heard of it being used in manila. This doesn't bode well for manila visa applicants if they are going to use returning packets back to united states as weapons to delay visas. Cause once it gets sent back it is a several month delay from what i have read on other posts.

From what i have read before suppossedly packets are sent back to united states to see if the foreign person was even eligible for the visa in the first place. So if a mental check comes back "bad" or whatever, then the embassy in effect could say " well it is up to homeland security to decide if a person who is mentally unstable is eligible to come to united states in the first place". Unfortunately once it gets sent back, you are going to lose a lot of time.

I feel really sorry for you. I know that your fiancee is just fine in the head, thats what makes it even worse. It would be one thing if she had a real condition (like hepititis or something) and had to do extra paperwork to come here, but this is truly riddiculous. I really think that their must be some real sadists involved in the visa process who get pleasure out of knowing they are causing others to suffer. Problem is there are no checks and balances in the visa system. An embassy offical's word is the law in a foreign country. Of course sending it back to the united states is not a denial. But it suck you will lose time.

Honestly I would call immediately, becuase i am not sure even if you were there physically now anythihng could be done once a decision has been rendered. The only thing i can think of is to beg them to give a 3rd interview and you will bring other doctors reports.

Best of luck. your story scares the hell out of me because i didn't want to think manila was underhanded, insanely #######, but not underhanded. Guess i was wrong.

Service Center : Nebraska Service Center

Consulate : Manilla, Philipines

I-129F Sent : 2005-11-30

I-129F NOA1 : 2005-12-02

I-129F NOA2 : 2005-12-16

Left NVC : 2006-1-5

Manila recieved: 2006-1-11

Interview Date : 2006-5-16 - APPROVED

Enter USA : 2006-5-31

She has a bad scar on her arm from a tattoo that got infected and a very fresh one on her arm when she fell on some broken glass. The person that did her medical wanted her to come back for a mental evaluation because they feared she is violent or into self abuse
Our problem is St. Luke’s and there blanket response to suspected mental heath problems. My fiancée has no issues with her mental heath but she has a scare on her arm and that is what started this whole mess with the Embassy. When she went for her medical everything went well but the doctor saw the scare about half way up her arm. She has about four 1" slices in the fleshy part of the arm that happened when she fell on some glass last fall because of this they wanted to do a mental evaluation to make sure she is not suicidal.

I think your fiance raised a red flag with her scars especially since you described it as four 1” slices. If it was one big slice, the doctor would’ve probably dismissed it as an accident but four slices got him/her suspicious. Drug users in the Philippines slice their arms when they get high on drugs.

During her evaluation she was asked if he was a Shabu (M E T H A M P H E T A M I N E) user! Of course she is not and passed her evaluation without a problem but its got me thinking that maybe this is the problem.

The doctor was suspicious of the scars that's why she was asked if she was a shabu user. As I've said, drug users here slice their arms.

Now what has eligibility have to do with the scars on her arms? I am trying to search on the website the possibilities of ineligibility, and I do think mental state is one of them, but I was under the assumption that this would lead to a 212 denial.

I think that KTM's fiance is suspected of being a drug user. Here’s the link to Ineligibility

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/ineligibilities/ineligibilities_1364.html

(a) Classes of Aliens Ineligible for Visas or Admission.-Except as otherwise provided in this Act, aliens who are inadmissible under the following paragraphs are ineligible to receive visas and ineligible to be admitted to the United States:

(1) Health-related grounds.-

(A) In general.-Any alien-

(II) to have had a physical or mental disorder and a history of behavior associated with the disorder, which behavior has posed a threat to the property, safety, or welfare of the alien or others and which behavior is likely to recur or to lead to other harmful behavior, or

(iv) who is determined (in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services) to be a drug abuser or addict, is inadmissible.

KTM, I'm sure that your fiance is a wonderful, wonderful woman but she might need a forensic expert to convince the embassy that her wounds were not self-inflicted.

As ryecatcher had suggested, I would beg the US Embassy to give her a 3rd interview (with an an expert's opinion) before they send it back to DHS. It's your last chance. Otherwise, you would have to file the "Waiver to Ineligilibility" and that would take time.

Maybe she can approach our National Bureau of Investigation's Medico-Legal Office for an expert's opinion.

Oh, I feel for you guys. Good luck!

You might want to have a hair follical test done in addition to the outside mental evaluation. That would prove that she hasn't done shabu in the last 6 months. It might be expensive there in PI but it would add to your proof that she is not a drug user.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.