11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I have a bit of a dilema as far as proof required to show my marriage is bonified for I-130. DH and I only own a car jointly. We do not own a home. We do rent but the lease is still in just my name for now. He can not be added until he has a SS# for them to run a background criminal check. We don't have a joint bank account because he doesn't have a SS#. We have no children together other then the child I'm carrying and she will not be born until after we send the forms off. I'm guessing the proof of owning the car together will not be enough, correct? If not, what else can I send to ensure my marriage is indeed bonfide? tia

Timeline
you can get a joint bank acct without SSN

i did

Really? I thought you had to have a ssn to open a bank account of any kind. I'll have to call my bank and see what they tell me. Thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Letters from family members would help. Also mail address to both of you. Or even mail addressed to you separately but at the same address (shows you're living together). Even though he can't be on the lease, he can still be listed as "an occupant" on the lease. You can also put his name on any utility bills. It might also be helpful to show that you are pregnant (I suppose a doctor's note saying you're pregnant).

Really? I thought you had to have a ssn to open a bank account of any kind. I'll have to call my bank and see what they tell me. Thanks!

It depends on the bank and branch. Some will and some won't. I was able to open my own account as well as get a joint account with my (USC) husband and I don't have an SSN.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

What about car insurance? Water bill?

I'm sure you have pictures of the wedding too as well....friends...

I know what you mean about the SSN for lease - we needed that too.

I changed my surname after marriage and I think that shows something.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

what about joint health insurance? life insurance?

do you have a DL yet showing your address?

and take the birth certificate of your child to the AOS interview! ;)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Timeline
what about joint health insurance? life insurance?

do you have a DL yet showing your address?

and take the birth certificate of your child to the AOS interview! ;)

I also put my husband on my insurance.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

07/2007 - EAD approved

You might be able to add your husband as an 'approved occupant' on your lease. It would mean that you're still solely financially responsible, but it would list his name as someone who resides there, much as you'd add a child or an elderly relative to the lease. The key is that it doesn't require, at least around here, a social security number for a credit check, because the person's credit isn't an issue since they're taking on no financial responsibility.

That's what C. and I have done as far as the lease goes. We also were able to open a joint bank account as long as my SSN was on it.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Timeline

I think we may have found a bank that will let him be on a joint account without a ssn. We'll go in Monday to see how it goes. As far as being added to my lease, he can not be added at all without a ssn. They won't even add this baby until she gets a ssn herself. I don't know why they do that, but that's how it works where I live. We don't have health/life insurance together. The insurance I have right now because I'm pregnant is state funded and for pregnancy only. He is using his Scotland license to drive over here b/c the DMV will not let him get a DL without a ssn. I can def do mail addressed to use seperately. Not sure we've had anything send to both of us besides the title to our car. The utility companies here will not add anyone without a ssn. They wouldn't even change my last name on my accounts without the new ID. As far as pictures of the wedding...we only have a couple from outside the court room of us holding the license. It was a bit rushed and I wasn't feeling too good...would those be enough? I can get my family to do letters but what does it need to have in it? I looked through a link on here on ideas and it needs to be pretty detailed correct?

Timeline
I think we may have found a bank that will let him be on a joint account without a ssn. We'll go in Monday to see how it goes. As far as being added to my lease, he can not be added at all without a ssn. They won't even add this baby until she gets a ssn herself. I don't know why they do that, but that's how it works where I live. We don't have health/life insurance together. The insurance I have right now because I'm pregnant is state funded and for pregnancy only. He is using his Scotland license to drive over here b/c the DMV will not let him get a DL without a ssn. I can def do mail addressed to use seperately. Not sure we've had anything send to both of us besides the title to our car. The utility companies here will not add anyone without a ssn. They wouldn't even change my last name on my accounts without the new ID. As far as pictures of the wedding...we only have a couple from outside the court room of us holding the license. It was a bit rushed and I wasn't feeling too good...would those be enough? I can get my family to do letters but what does it need to have in it? I looked through a link on here on ideas and it needs to be pretty detailed correct?

I guess you do what you can, right? If you cannot add your husband because he does not have an SSN then that is not in your hands. I think that there are other ways to show you have a bonafide relationship.

You have a child together...

It's too bad we have to go through this at all :angry:

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

07/2007 - EAD approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.