hharry16

J1 waiver 2020 NOS update timeline

2,014 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, S9471 said:

Not through "no objection." the only viable path is the hardship/IGA waiver, and that has a lot of strings attached to it.

Yes, through no objection. The 2019 waiver page had up to 5 Fulbrighters who got a favorable recommendation through no objection statement. It is difficult but some people get lucky. 

1 hour ago, Bel la said:

Yes, through no objection. The 2019 waiver page had up to 5 Fulbrighters who got a favorable recommendation through no objection statement. It is difficult but some people get lucky. 

for future reference, can you link to those cases? fulbright, as a matter of policy, always responds negatively to sponsor views (which are requested in us govt-sponsored programs).

see: https://www.kwvisalaw.com/temporary-visas/j-1-waivers/

As a matter of policy and practice, Fulbright scholars usually may not obtain “No Objection” waivers even though there is no prohibition under immigration law, because a waiver would undermine the purpose of the Fulbright-Hays Act, the law which authorizes these scholarships. Even with favorable letters of no objection from the government of the home country and the Fulbright commission in the home country, a Fulbrighter typically cannot obtain a No Objection waiver without proof of unusual and compelling facts establishing that the home country and the U.S. will both benefit considerably more by allowing the Fulbright scholar to remain in the U.S.

if the waiver was granted for NOS, it must've been a really compelling case for why the participant would be more beneficial to remain in the US than go back to their home country. that's not at all common - you can probably count those folks on two hands globally.

Edited by S9471

2 hours ago, Todd B said:

Hey all. Unfortunately, after around ten months of waiting, we received a not favorable recommendation in the category of "No Objection."

Still, I'd like to share our timeline for you all that are waiting for a response. Here it is--I wish you all better luck in your journey!

image.thumb.png.bc297c69b23d38fe6d6c3ca277477634.png

So sad :( But thanks for sharing.

Who was your sponsor? 

2 hours ago, Todd B said:

Hey all. Unfortunately, after around ten months of waiting, we received a not favorable recommendation in the category of "No Objection."

Still, I'd like to share our timeline for you all that are waiting for a response. Here it is--I wish you all better luck in your journey!

image.thumb.png.bc297c69b23d38fe6d6c3ca277477634.png

Did you know your sponsor views were favorable or unfavorable?

I remember that you was going to submit congressional inquiry. What date it was submitted? Do you think it played any role (positive/negative) in decision making?

Edited by Amoyar_Dever

On 4/7/2022 at 1:15 PM, iwantmywaiver said:

Quick updates:

All document sent - October 4th 2021

NOS sent - October 5th 2021

System update (all document received except NOS)  - December 20th 2021

NOS received - January 10th 2022

Favorable Recommendation Sent - March 17th 2022

FR Hardcopy received from DOS - March 23rd 2022

USCIS got the case - April 1st 2022

USCIS transferred the case to another office - April 5th 2022

Receipt notice in mail from USCIS - April 7th 2022

Now I’m waiting to be approved

Did you receive any other communication?

On 4/8/2022 at 8:56 PM, S9471 said:

for future reference, can you link to those cases? fulbright, as a matter of policy, always responds negatively to sponsor views (which are requested in us govt-sponsored programs).

see: https://www.kwvisalaw.com/temporary-visas/j-1-waivers/

if the waiver was granted for NOS, it must've been a really compelling case for why the participant would be more beneficial to remain in the US than go back to their home country. that's not at all common - you can probably count those folks on two hands globally.

Dude I dont want to sound rude ! Every case is different, accept that and move on !

55 minutes ago, WGLKID said:

Yes, end of March. But Im with a different problem these days. When I chatted with Emma, they did not see my application. But my I797C says they got the application on April 01, 2022. Looks like there are several unique issues..

Since you have your receipt number you don't need to chat with emma, just track the through the website.

Were you able to track?

1 hour ago, WGLKID said:

Yes, end of March. But Im with a different problem these days. When I chatted with Emma, they did not see my application. But my I797C says they got the application on April 01, 2022. Looks like there are several unique issues..

That's amazing. Congrats.

I guess we are on the same timeline but I haven't received as of today. Could you please share your timeline, if possible?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.