Radiohead

Name change for men evidence n400

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

My husband came from Pakistan and while there he had changed his name and then came here. All documents here had his new name and US never questioned being provided anything for his previous name change. Now on N-400 they are asking for evidence which we aren’t sure what to do about. In Pakistan the way your name is changed is by advertising in the newspaper , and Pakistan government officials stamp paper in their official language(Urdu) stating name change. We have cuttings of the newspapers and that government stamp paper. There is no court document “decree” however that they provided.

USCIS proof of evidence says to provide divorce certificate, marriage certificate, or court decree. 

Our marriage certificate here has his new name just like the rest of the documents he filed when he submitted his k1 visa, i485,i751 and now n400. Can we just provide our marriage certificate that shows his current name and that’s it? 

Thanks in advance!

According to the department of state link for Pakistani documents, the newspaper method is common in Pakistan for name changes.  I suspect that there shouldn't be an issue if you were to provide the clippings, translations, and affidavits stating that you followed standard Pakistani procedures for name changes.  If you can get a statement from a lawyer in Pakistan confirming this, it may help in case there is any confusion.  

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Pakistan.html

Obligatory disclaimer:  Not a lawyer.  Posts are written based on my own research and based on whatever information is provided.  Consult an immigration attorney regarding your specific case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.