XenophiliusPNW

K-1 Visa Petitioner with Criminal Background

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi there, been perusing here for about six months, first time posting. Thanks for the great trove of information!

I am a USC petitioner preparing an I-129F. Regretfully, I have previously been arrested and convicted of a DUII. I have obtained original certified copies of the arrest record and court documents. But I was wondering if I needed to also submit documentation of completion of all of the sentencing's requirements-- like alcohol treatment, jail confinement, payment of fines, etc.  I understand that criminal history is submitted primarily so that the beneficiary can make an informed decision on whether or not to marry a criminal, and forthcoming petitioners will not be denied outright for having previous convictions.  

I want to submit a complete application on the first attempt and not get an RFE.  Do you think it is necessary?

I have nothing to hide and my beneficiary is very aware of all of the things that would be found in anything included, I would just rather not include it if it is not necessary. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Send in all police reports and final disposition from the courts. All papers from the courts must be certificated by the clerk of courts office . This is something I neglected to do and received a RFE that took over 2 1/2 months to resolve.

Timeline
13 hours ago, JoeO"C said:

Send in all police reports and final disposition from the courts. All papers from the courts must be certificated by the clerk of courts office . This is something I neglected to do and received a RFE that took over 2 1/2 months to resolve.

What does that mean “final disposition”? Is that the judgement? Does remaining on probation create a problem? 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
5 hours ago, charles777 said:

how do you get that info if its been more than 10 years ago. or even years ago, i didn't keep any of those records 

I haven’t submitted the I-129F yet so I don’t know if there’s going to be an RFE for my situation. But mine was straightforward and didn’t contain concerns for domestic issues. 

In my case I went to the police and got certified copies of the police arrest report and investigation and then to the courthouse and certified copy of the judgement. 

even if you had kept good records, the way I’m reading the instructions, it doesn’t matter. They need original (certified by the police/court) of the arrest and final judgement. 

And remember if you’re the petitioner the primary purpose is for transparency for the beneficiary. There should be NOTHING in any of that that would surprise your fiancée. 

(not an expert just what I’ve pieced together for my own situation) 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.