ihaveadream

Abuse Waiver approved...I think

4 posts in this topic

So I filed abuse and divorce waiver. My interview was short and lovely.  I am not in good health and didn't ask which waiver was approved.  My green card is in mail.  I am unable to check my mailbox... am seriously ill.  Will the letter along with green cards state how the green cards were approved?

and PS - anyone looking for help on abuse waivers please write to me, did it myself, didn't have therapists statements, the truth is what matters...and presenting as much evidence as we have.   if I am alive and able to respond I will.  I was honest to the point that I love him to the end of the world and don't think he is an abuser but was extremely abusive.

Filed: Timeline

First off congrats on your approval! And its great that you are no longer in a toxic relationship. It is concerning that you still feel he is/was not an 'abuser'; you mentioned not having therapy statements so Im not sure if you ever went to therapy or not. If you havent I would strongly encourage you to do so! Therapy is covered by all insurance plans and should only cost you a min co-pay... Often people in abusive relationships leave them and end up in another abusive relationship. I do not want to see that happen to you...

Anyway, from my understanding there is nothing on the GC or letter stating what waiver type (if any) the ROC was approved with. It is in their internal files however. But basically if you file under divorce+abuse waiver they need to approve you for divorce+abuse waiver. If you file under divorce only and are approved you were approved under divorce only etc etc... They can not change the waiver type on you / add a waiver type/ remove a waiver type w/o you filling out a new 751 or signing something for the change. Make sense? So unless at the interview you were told you didnt qualify for abuse and were given the option to withdraw the abuse waiver part and remain on a divorce only waiver its pretty safe to assume you were approved for what you filed (divorce+abuse). If you plan on filing for n400 at 3yr mark you will need to file on paper (dont use online system its not set up for 3yr abuse ROCs) and theres a memo that has been linked in the VAWA thread explaining how abuse ROC/VAWA GC holders can apply at 3yrs. Many people include this memo with their filing as often they are returned marked not eligible when they are. Use search or google to find the memo and include it when you file. 

On 1/29/2020 at 7:49 PM, Villanelle said:

First off congrats on your approval! And its great that you are no longer in a toxic relationship. It is concerning that you still feel he is/was not an 'abuser'; you mentioned not having therapy statements so Im not sure if you ever went to therapy or not. If you havent I would strongly encourage you to do so! Therapy is covered by all insurance plans and should only cost you a min co-pay... Often people in abusive relationships leave them and end up in another abusive relationship. I do not want to see that happen to you...

Anyway, from my understanding there is nothing on the GC or letter stating what waiver type (if any) the ROC was approved with. It is in their internal files however. But basically if you file under divorce+abuse waiver they need to approve you for divorce+abuse waiver. If you file under divorce only and are approved you were approved under divorce only etc etc... They can not change the waiver type on you / add a waiver type/ remove a waiver type w/o you filling out a new 751 or signing something for the change. Make sense? So unless at the interview you were told you didnt qualify for abuse and were given the option to withdraw the abuse waiver part and remain on a divorce only waiver its pretty safe to assume you were approved for what you filed (divorce+abuse). If you plan on filing for n400 at 3yr mark you will need to file on paper (dont use online system its not set up for 3yr abuse ROCs) and theres a memo that has been linked in the VAWA thread explaining how abuse ROC/VAWA GC holders can apply at 3yrs. Many people include this memo with their filing as often they are returned marked not eligible when they are. Use search or google to find the memo and include it when you file. 

Thank you so much for this.

I. might be terminally ill - so yes looking at filing under 3 year rule - so at least my daughter can get her citizenship before I pass...Thank you so much.  

Life changes in a moment - one moment I was happy that everything has come together and life was going to restart and on the day of my interview got my terrible diagnoses confirmation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 7:49 PM, Villanelle said:

I realized there was a separate mail sent with category approved and yes I did get an abuse waiver

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.