Fullbien

Return to the US before Spouse or With?

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm a US Citizen currently living abroad with my husband (been here for about 4 years, together for 3.5, married for 5 months), and we filed the I-130 in December 2019 (woo!) while I'd love a response on our case by June/July, given other timelines from couples coming from the same country I'm not expecting to hear back until Sept/Oct of this year. Due to various factors, I may end up moving back to the US in November. While it will be super difficult to be apart for an unspecified amount of time, it might be a good way to get settled and get my feet under me again before my husband moves to the states as well. 

My question is this: Strictly from an immigration standpoint, is there an advantage or disadvantage to me moving back to the states before my husband after having submitted an I-130? (I will have a joint sponsor)

Thank you in advance for any advice, and in general to all the helpful people on this site! What a wonderful resource this is.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, Fullbien said:

Hi all,

I'm a US Citizen currently living abroad with my husband (been here for about 4 years, together for 3.5, married for 5 months), and we filed the I-130 in December 2019 (woo!) while I'd love a response on our case by June/July, given other timelines from couples coming from the same country I'm not expecting to hear back until Sept/Oct of this year. Due to various factors, I may end up moving back to the US in November. While it will be super difficult to be apart for an unspecified amount of time, it might be a good way to get settled and get my feet under me again before my husband moves to the states as well. 

My question is this: Strictly from an immigration standpoint, is there an advantage or disadvantage to me moving back to the states before my husband after having submitted an I-130? (I will have a joint sponsor)

Thank you in advance for any advice, and in general to all the helpful people on this site! What a wonderful resource this is.

No advantage really, except it will satisfy any domicile concerns.  Even so, that's only usually a big issue coming from Canada.  You must enter the US at the same time as, or before your foreign spouse.  

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.