JennyR

Filing our first Tax's after K1

43 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, Wuozopo said:

It wants to know if he was a bonafide resident of the foreign country where he earned the foreign income. Was he a bonafide resident of the United Kingdom? Was he allowed to Legally work in the United Kingdom. Of course he was.

He was probably a bonafide resident and physically present in the UK since the date of his birth. Vacations don’t count.

Okay, I'm not sure I'm doing this right. It said he qualified for it but my tax return when to basically nothing now. 🙄

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Pooley said:

Okay, I'm not sure I'm doing this right. It said he qualified for it but my tax return when to basically nothing now. 🙄

Your tax return didn’t go to nothing. It’s still there.  Have you gone all the way to the end and let TurboTax check for errors or places you missed answering something?

11 minutes ago, Pooley said:

Sounds like we are very much on the same time line my husband moved here in Aug 2019, Thanks to Wuozopo and his wife we just about managed to get ours sorted. Make sure his income is on a 1040 other income or 1040 FEC (Foreign Earned Income) then make sure you fill out the for 2555 it should then work it out for you. My understanding is TurboTax is better than Tax Act that we used

Timeline
1 minute ago, JennyR said:

Sounds like we are very much on the same time line my husband moved here in Aug 2019, Thanks to Wuozopo and his wife we just about managed to get ours sorted. Make sure his income is on a 1040 other income or 1040 FEC (Foreign Earned Income) then make sure you fill out the for 2555 it should then work it out for you. My understanding is TurboTax is better than Tax Act that we used

image.png.700cc966346b0289d27ed881e510c4ee.png

So he never received anything. He has to look it up online at gov.uk. What should I be selecting here?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Pooley said:

image.png.700cc966346b0289d27ed881e510c4ee.png

So he never received anything. He has to look it up online at gov.uk. What should I be selecting here?

Are you saying he has no idea how much he earned in the UK during 2019?  Then you aren’t ready to complete your taxes.  When he figures it out, convert it to US dollars for the US tax return. 

He doesn’t need any form that says the exact amount. He looks at old pay stubs, his old bank statements, asks his former employer to help him figure it out.  

Timeline
Just now, Wuozopo said:

Are you saying he has no idea how much he earned in the UK during 2019?  Then you aren’t ready to complete your taxes.  When he figures it out, convert it to US dollars for the US tax return. 

He doesn’t need any form that says the exact amount. He looks at old pay stubs, his old bank statements, asks his former employer to help him figure it out.  

We do know. He went to this website that shows what he made but he received no w-2 or statement from employer. However, when I enter in his income he made for 2019 and answer the questions until I get to the review part, it doubles that amount stating that's what he made for the year. I'm thinking I may just need to delete everything and start from scratch....

2 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

As per above i had my P45 which whs from April 2019 to End of Jul 2019 as that was 4 months and I left 1st Aug i multiplied that by 2 converted it to $

Timeline
2 minutes ago, JennyR said:

As per above i had my P45 which whs from April 2019 to End of Jul 2019 as that was 4 months and I left 1st Aug i multiplied that by 2 converted it to $

So the P45 is like the W-2? And his only goes from January 2019 to August 2019. I used the money converter on Turbo to estimate what his wages were in US dollars but when I enter that amount and then it shows the summary at the end, it says "It appears he made this amount" which is double what I said he made. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Pooley said:

We do know. He went to this website that shows what he made but he received no w-2 or statement from employer. However, when I enter in his income he made for 2019 and answer the questions until I get to the review part, it doubles that amount stating that's what he made for the year. I'm thinking I may just need to delete everything and start from scratch....

image.png.16d8dc0eea602b1b7410125d7af5e755.png
Pick the third choice. It doesn’t matter. It’s a TurboTax question, not the IRS asking.  The IRS needs no actual form like your W2 showing the foreign income.

Perhaps you entered his income twice? Maybe did you add it earlier when it was asking about W2s? Did you say you had a W2? Yes. Did you say he had one as well? No he doesn’t. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

image.png.16d8dc0eea602b1b7410125d7af5e755.png
Pick the third choice. It doesn’t matter. It’s a TurboTax question, not the IRS asking.  The IRS needs no actual form like your W2 showing the foreign income.

Perhaps you entered his income twice? Maybe did you add it earlier when it was asking about W2s? Did you say you had a W2? Yes. Did you say he had one as well? No he doesn’t. 

That's what I'm thinking I did too by entering it in twice. 

9 minutes ago, Pooley said:

So the P45 is like the W-2? And his only goes from January 2019 to August 2019. I used the money converter on Turbo to estimate what his wages were in US dollars but when I enter that amount and then it shows the summary at the end, it says "It appears he made this amount" which is double what I said he made. 

Only in as much as it will give you both how much he earnt from April 2019 to whenever he left his job if aplicable. Otherwise go from bank account as Wuozopo said this will be the most accurate if no other info. Not sure why things are doubled though

Timeline
29 minutes ago, JennyR said:

Only in as much as it will give you both how much he earnt from April 2019 to whenever he left his job if aplicable. Otherwise go from bank account as Wuozopo said this will be the most accurate if no other info. Not sure why things are doubled though

How did you answer this question?

image.png.288ffa5f4647c25df16c8fc134424683.png

7 hours ago, Pooley said:

How did you answer this question?

image.png.288ffa5f4647c25df16c8fc134424683.png

Wasnt asked in that way with taxact but he doesnt have the kind of Visa they are asking this is for a US citizen working abroad so right none

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.