Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Can my fiancee/Wife still travel to US on a tourist visa?

2 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I plan to marry my fiancée in Italy late March. We plan to have her come to the US for a month, reside at my place after we're married and her concerned is traveling to the US when we haven't started the CR1 yet. How do we go about what type visa for her able to travel to the US? We will be married, but will start the CR1 soon right after. Does she provide publication and marriage certificates? we don't know how long this takes to acquire. To the point: Can my fiancée/wife travel to the US on a tourist visa? or what type of visa would be best appropriate for our scenario? 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

She can not live/reside in the US until she receives a valid CR-1 visa. She can not enter the US as a tourist with the intent to stay in the US.  She is allowed to make short visits during the CR-1 process assuming she has a valid visitor visa or requests entry with approved ESTA/VWP and she convinces CBP officers that she will return to her country after her short visit.  Currently, the CR-1 process is taking 12-18 months from filing to visa in hand.  When coming to the US for a visit, she should be prepared to present documentation which will show her intent to return to her country and her strong ties to her country.


See this guide for the CR-1 process:  


Edited by missileman

"The immigration process demands a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and money.  A deficit in any of these areas can spell heartbreak."

   -GB, "old man of much life experience"


Retired 20 year United States Air Force Missileer (Retired E-8)

Retired Registered Nurse with practice in Labor/Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, Adult Psych

Retired IT Professional, Software Developer, Database Manager



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
  • Create New...