torrent29

My Overall Plan

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

So as I get ready to send out my i129f and the rest of the first part of this process for my fiancee in Mexico. I have to ask if my overall plan is really the best one to go with.

Essentially what I had though was that though we are attempting to get the fiancee visa, we really would like to have the ceremony in mexico. That is where my family is and where her family is. But to do this we obviously have get married in Mexico by the church but to have the civil wedding here in the United States.

So far we havent run into any problems, but right now I'm very nervous about the whole experience. I do not really want to do something to mess it up and screw it up some how. So I am just seeking a bit of advice.

Thank You.

Also... the only place for the interview is Cuidad Juarez? There do not grant interviews in the American Embassy in Mexico City?

Thank you in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

As long as the wedding at the church in Mexico is not considered to be a legal marriage by Mexico or other government agencies in Mexico, then that should not be a problem, if you do this before getting visa, and entering the country, DO NOT use husband/wife when asked questions by the visa officer at the consulate, and at the POE, you are still fiancees. Sometimes they will ask questions to try to trip you up, like for example "What does your "husband" do fo a living?" Answer: "He is not my husband, he is my fiancee, and he does XXX."

Also it is recommended to not have pictures of wedding with you when entering USA, and at the consulate, again it can be miss interpreted as being married before getting the K-1, have them mailed to you, or if digital pics, keep them on cd-rom and bring that to the USA.

In our case we had a "Marriage/Engagement" Party in China before returning home with the K-1 visa, then had a civil ceremony here to make the marriage legal.

Many do have "Fake" weddings in the home country before comming to USA on a K-1 visa and have no problems.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
So as I get ready to send out my i129f and the rest of the first part of this process for my fiancee in Mexico. I have to ask if my overall plan is really the best one to go with.

Essentially what I had though was that though we are attempting to get the fiancee visa, we really would like to have the ceremony in mexico. That is where my family is and where her family is. But to do this we obviously have get married in Mexico by the church but to have the civil wedding here in the United States.

So far we havent run into any problems, but right now I'm very nervous about the whole experience. I do not really want to do something to mess it up and screw it up some how. So I am just seeking a bit of advice.

Thank You.

Also... the only place for the interview is Cuidad Juarez? There do not grant interviews in the American Embassy in Mexico City?

Thank you in advance.

As stated, be VERY careful when referring to your fiance - do not use husband/wife.

Ciudad Juarez is the only consulate in Mexico that processes fiance and spousal visas. It's worth your time to read everything on their website about the process.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

We're planning (well, I'm planning, but he hasn't raised any objections yet) to first do the civil part in the States and then have a big party in Mexico once he can travel.

And, just to reiterate what kitkat said...be VERY careful about terms. And just to be on the safe side, if you do the ceremony in Mexico, leave out any pictures of that day in your evidence.

My fiance has been calling me his wife for the past five years. I, on the other hand, just started refering to him as my fiance in the past few months.

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

Filed: Timeline

Thank you in advance.

Sounds beautiful but you should know that Mexican churches will not marry you without being married by civil law first - so check this out first or you can find yourself in a sticky wicked: Mexico DOES NOT recognise religious marriage as binding. How do I know this? Well, I had an "accidental husband" when I was young and still lived in Mexico, he he.

Buena suerte, L.

Timeline

Thank you in advance.

Sounds beautiful but you should know that Mexican churches will not marry you without being married by civil law first - so check this out first or you can find yourself in a sticky wicked: Mexico DOES NOT recognise religious marriage as binding. How do I know this? Well, I had an "accidental husband" when I was young and still lived in Mexico, he he.

Buena suerte, L.

That's a really important detail. To the OP, if you find a way to have a non-binding ceremony in Mexico without a civil ceremony, please post it. I'll do it tomorrow if there's a way!!!

Filed: Timeline
That's a really important detail. To the OP, if you find a way to have a non-binding ceremony in Mexico without a civil ceremony, please post it. I'll do it tomorrow if there's a way!!!

I'm pretty sure there is not. My brother just got married in September and nope - you have to marry civil law first and THEN can be "married" in your church. Thanks to the separation of church and state; which I am happy for... :thumbs:

You could (to the Original Poster) have something like a "blessing ceremony" (some priests let you do this, some will not even think of it), exchange vows and all that jazz and then have your civil ceremony in the US or elsewhere. Or have a big party!

Little details but important to consider!!! Don't shoot yourselves in the foot.

Good luck, L.

Timeline

I'm pretty sure there is not. My brother just got married in September and nope - you have to marry civil law first and THEN can be "married" in your church. Thanks to the separation of church and state; which I am happy for... :thumbs:

You could (to the Original Poster) have something like a "blessing ceremony" (some priests let you do this, some will not even think of it), exchange vows and all that jazz and then have your civil ceremony in the US or elsewhere. Or have a big party!

Little details but important to consider!!! Don't shoot yourselves in the foot.

Good luck, L.

I'm sure you're right L. Too bad since I'm here in Mexico for a few months and I would LOVE to get non-legally married here with my fiance's family all here!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I've had conflicting reports on this part, my fiancee is checking with her church today. So one way or another we should know. According to my sister its possible since on of my nephews got married only by the church and did not do a civil ceremony. However the first church we went to said no, the second one though said they would but the woman wasnt 100% certain so my fiancee is supposed to call back today.

If not then my next course is to simply get married down there legally and do the spouse visa instead.

Either way right now its nerve wracking, if we can get the reception hall and the church then we're golden. Either way I will let you know what we found out today.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

In my opinion if you want to celebrate the wedding with her family in Mexico, then you can get married there and apply for either the K-3 or CR-1 visa. You'll have to wait just a little bit longer but it'll be worth it. With a K-1, it seems like you can't get married by the church in Mexico and STILL have to get here an get married... again.

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

just don't sign anything.

no paperwork, no witnesses signing, no governmental record.

we also wanted to marry in mexico before she left her family for some unknown period of US Gov't AP/GC processing time.

but I wanted her here with me in the states, where I live and work, as soon as possible.

at the time, the K-1 was the fastest route (and, after talking to quite a few of the guys waiting for their wives outside of the consulate in Ciudad Juarez, a much easier/faster process to get her to the US than the K-3).

but if you go K-1, be true. those guys and gals that interview/approve/forward you to the next group, who interview/approve/forward you to the next group, are pretty suspicious folks. if you're going to, forgive me, "LIE" about your marriage, you're going to have to tell that lie a hundred times over...

for us, it wasn't worth it.

she received her fiancée visa 4 months from our initial filing.

we got married in the US.

we'll marry in mexico on our first wedding anniversary, with all her family.. and our son.

good luck

IN THE BEGINNING...

06/12/2005......met

08/14/2006......engaged

K1 VISA JOURNEY

10/04/2006......initial I-129F submission sent to CSC

10/06/2006......NOA1

12/15/2005......NOA2

01/05/2007......NVC receives I-129F

01/16/2007......PACKET 3 sent from consulate

02/8/2007........INTERVIEW in Ciudad Juarez, MX

02/12/2007......ENTERED the United States

05/01/2007......MARRIED

AND THEN THERE WAS LIGHT...

05/17/2007......SON BORN (thank you for waiting)

AOS JOURNEY

06/18/2007......AOS/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

06/22/2007......AOS/AP received in Chicago

07/02/2007......NOA1 for AOS/AP

07/20/2007......AP Approved

07/28/2007......BIOMETRICS APPT

11/28/2007......INITIAL AOS INTERVIEW

11/28/2007......APPROVED

Filed: Other Country: Mexico
Timeline
just don't sign anything.

no paperwork, no witnesses signing, no governmental record.

we also wanted to marry in mexico before she left her family for some unknown period of US Gov't AP/GC processing time.

but I wanted her here with me in the states, where I live and work, as soon as possible.

at the time, the K-1 was the fastest route (and, after talking to quite a few of the guys waiting for their wives outside of the consulate in Ciudad Juarez, a much easier/faster process to get her to the US than the K-3).

but if you go K-1, be true. those guys and gals that interview/approve/forward you to the next group, who interview/approve/forward you to the next group, are pretty suspicious folks. if you're going to, forgive me, "LIE" about your marriage, you're going to have to tell that lie a hundred times over...

for us, it wasn't worth it.

she received her fiancée visa 4 months from our initial filing.

we got married in the US.

we'll marry in mexico on our first wedding anniversary, with all her family.. and our son.

good luck

My husband and had a catholic religious ceremony in Mexico before we even went to our interview in Ciudad Juarez. In Mexico a catholic religious marriage is not legally binding. We were able to get married by the church without being civilly married. Only, when we went to Ciudad Juarez for our interview, we said nothing of being married through the church and thankfully we were granted with a K-1. Today we are living in Texas and at the moment we are going through with the Adjustment of Status Process after being married civilly in the US. My question is, should we even mention we were married religously as proof of our marriage in our AOS evidence? DO you all think it'll look bad? Or should marriage license, civil ceremony pictures, bills, bank statements, rent contract be sufficient evidence for our AOS status?

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Sounds beautiful but you should know that Mexican churches will not marry you without being married by civil law first - so check this out first

Depends on the church/pastor. We didnt have much trouble finding a preacher who would do a ceremony for a quick 2k pesos. ;)

2/23/07 - Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

2/25/07 - Package arrived in Chicago

3/05/07 - Checks cashed

3/05/07 - Received NOAs for I-765, I-485, & I-130!

3/09/07 - All touched

3/10/07 - Received biometrics appt letter

3/12/07 - All touched

3/13/07 - I-130 & I-765 touched

3/15/07 - I-485 touched

3/15/07 - Received email informing me that an RFE has been mailed to me about the I-485

3/19/07 - Received RFE for I-485 in the mail.

3/20/07 - Biometrics appt

3/21/07 - I-485 & I-765 touched

3/23/07 - Mailed back RFE with signature confirmation

3/26/07 - RFE was delivered to Lee's Summit, MO & was signed for by "Ashley Love"

3/27/07 - Received email saying that RFE has been received at MSC and that case processing has resumed

3/27/07 - I-485 touched

3/28/07 - I-485 touched

4/17/07 - I-765 & I-130 touched

4/18/07 - All touched

4/19/07 - All touched

5/10/07 - I-765 touched

5/14/07 - Received interview notice in the mail! Interview will be on July 18!!!

5/15/07 - I-765 touched!

5/15/07 - Received email saying that EAD card production has been ordered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/16/07 - I-765 touched

5/19/07 - Received EAD in the mail!!!!!!!!

5/21/07 - I-765 touched

7/18/07 - Had interview in Memphis, TN! GC Approved!!!

7/23/07 - Received Welcome Letter (with notice date of July 19th) in the mail.

7/24/07 - Received Card Production Ordered email!

8/02/07 - Received Permanent Resident Card!!!! No more USCIS until 2009!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

What does USCIS say about marriage? It says a legal right? So whatever the laws of the country are that reccognize the marriage as being legal then it will be fine i would say. Some states in the US will concider you as being married if you live together for a certain amount of time.

If there is loophole in the system by all means us it but as everyone has said, do not mention it to anyone with immigration.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.