EmKamp

ILR Status?

11 posts in this topic

Hey Everyone, 

I did a post recently explaining how we wanted to leave the US and go back to the U.K. 

I have done some serious research regarding everything about a Spouse visa for my wife to enter the U.K. 

What I did find interesting was me actually losing my residence status. Trying to find more information on this was near impossible for me. I’ve read so many different answers that I decided to try and get the right answers from my fellow VJ folk. 

Basically, does anyone have any idea on how to re-apply for residency again? I know that I have to do something with being outside the U.K. for 2 years, is there another waiting process for when I get back in the U.K.? Can I even work? Use the NHS? Rent a home? 

Anything at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. 

And also thank you for all of the comments on my last post. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

So your Spouse is a UKC and is moving back to the UK and is going to sponsor you?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

So your Spouse is a UKC and is moving back to the UK and is going to sponsor you?

Hey, Boiler! 

I am a U.K citizen living in the US with a GC. Been here just over 2 years, received my GC March 2019. 

it would be me moving back to the U.K. and sponsoring my wife. 

Timeline

Well that seems quite normal, the UK process is a bit different, no joint sponsor etc but quite doable.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I’ve read on what the process is and how to eventually get there. Will take a while, of course. Just having a little trouble gathering information on me returning to the U.K. after 2 years of leaving. 

Timeline

All you need is your British Passport.

1 minute ago, Boiler said:

All you need is your British Passport.

Exactly what I thought. If you’re a citizen, you’re a citizen. End of. Come and go as you please. 

I did a post on another website, and one guy commented saying before you do anything, you need to apply for residency first since I have been gone for 2 years. Never heard of it before. 

Timeline

Probably the ILR mention.

I didn’t mention it haha. I asked about the visa process for my wife and then this guy comments saying I need to apply for status. 

So confusing, man. Appreciate your answers, though 👍🏻

21 hours ago, CannonTop90 said:

Exactly what I thought. If you’re a citizen, you’re a citizen. End of. Come and go as you please. 

I did a post on another website, and one guy commented saying before you do anything, you need to apply for residency first since I have been gone for 2 years. Never heard of it before. 

I suggest you steer clear of that website. I hold a British passport and also a German one. I returned to the UK in my early 20s having been in Germany since I was 8 months old. Not an issue. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Thanks, JFH.

I'm not going to post questions on there again. I knew I would get a straight correct answer on here. Really appreciate it. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.